Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first ibook

Options
  • 10-11-2005 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭

hi, I'm thinking about buying a 14"ibook with 80gig hard drive and 1gig ram. I was just wondering if other people have that model and if it operates well.

I was also wondering what is the best kind of anti virus and anti spy-ware software for a mac?

and no... the name has nothing to do with the fact that i use a Mac

*edit* I have a G3 imac, and i use firefox as my browser and find that some of the graphics like for example my avatar arn't showing up properly, is that just my old computer or a bad browser?

I don't really know much about computers as you might be able to tell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

with those specs im assuming you are doing photo/graphic design?

My advice: get the lowest RAM you can from apple, and buy the upgrade from www.shop4memory.co.uk (Celbridge based) you save a wad there.

Spyware and viruses in reality dont affect OS X...................YET. TBH my gut feeling is that it will be some time before it becomes a serious threat. If you are worried however about passing on possible windows viruses to Windows clients, then free AV from Clam is more than adequate.

Whatever you do, dont buy Norton, although it sells by the bucketload in both PC and Mac worlds, it is the most ineffective unreliable over-marketed tripe you could buy.

as for your avatar, I remember having that probelm too, cant for the life of me remember what fixed it though. Do you have the latest firefox: www.mozilla.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

no, im not doing graphic design at all, I just like the idea of having more ram..my current mac has 128 and so its kinda slow.
    thats great news about the viruses and spy-ware.

I was also thinking about getting a mighty mouse as I dont like using the scroll pad too much, but I havent heard anything about how good or bad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

on the RAM, you could get 1Gb now, or you could wait untill you actually need it at which time it will be much cheaper. 256 is "okay" 512 is more than enough.

Mightymouse is one way to go, but prettymuch any USB mouse will work.

Advertisement