Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS X as a Small Business Server

• 07-11-2005 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I want to run a mail server and internet access server through OS X, so I don't have to buy a PC for this simple task.

My current setup is that everyone can access the net through the wireless router provided by Eircom (since all desktops and laptops in here are wireless).

Of course this means there's no log of web traffic, central fire-wall and email is accessed by POP individually. Not very efficient!

I've seen loads of PC apps that do this quite simply, but can't find anything for the Mac.

Another quick query - if I did that, how would I regulate Internet access through the Mac Server rather than from the user PC straight through the Eircom router.

Thanks ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

edbyrne wrote:
    I want to run a mail server and internet access server through OS X, so I don't have to buy a PC for this simple task.

I've done the mailserver on Panther (but not Tiger, yet). I set up PostFix using the information here:
    http://www.cutedgesystems.com/software/PostfixEnabler/

It was relatively straightforward as I remember.

Unless you have a dedicated, static IP, you'll need to use a dynamic IP tracking service. This is so that incoming mail knows where to find you mailserver

https://www.dyndns.com/

You need to register (free) and set up a predefined domain - for example

mybusinessname.homeunix.com

or something similar. You can also register your own domain.

You then need to download an OS X client, https://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/mac.html - download and follow the instructions to automatically report back your IP.

Will you be running OS X Client (i.e. "regular" OS X) or OS X Server? I've never used the server software but I think it has a different way of running the mailserver.

hth,

hugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 edbyrne

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for that - I'll be using a the normal desktop version of OS X Tiger. I've a static IP and on-line mailserver already, I just want to download and distribute in centrally. Looked into some software and this seems straightforward enough.

What I still can't figure out is how to route my Internet traffic through the server. Whatever about the Mac's in here, I especially don't want the Windows PC having free access to the wireless broadband, I don't trust it's security enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

edbyrne wrote:
    Hi Hugh,

Thanks for that - I'll be using a the normal desktop version of OS X Tiger. I've a static IP and on-line mailserver already, I just want to download and distribute in centrally. Looked into some software and this seems straightforward enough.

What I still can't figure out is how to route my Internet traffic through the server. Whatever about the Mac's in here, I especially don't want the Windows PC having free access to the wireless broadband, I don't trust it's security enough!

Ed, I think you can still do your distribution locally with PostFix, as far as I know. I'm not sure what sort of package you're on with your ISP, but some of them get a little excited if you're hosting something you shouldn't officially be. Anyway - PostFix is your man...

As regards controlling the web access, there is "Internet Sharing" in system preferences, but I guess that's not what you're looking for. Maybe Vicomsoft Internet Gateway would work for you, but I've no experience of it personally. It looks like it should, but it ain't free.

Hugh

PS I can't remove the stupid thumbs-down icon that I inadvertently put on when Safari freaked out at whatever pissy piece of software this board is run on. Standards compliant? Yeah right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

To use a client operating system for something a server system should do, is not a good idea.

You're better off with Mac OS X Server for that. All the tools you need are in there.

Mac OS X Server
    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭darraghrogan

The best and cheapest way of doing what you want is using an old pc and debian linux - doddle to set up once you get over not using a mouse.

Otherwise - mac os x servcer looks promising as HomunQlus says.

Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Standard OSX will do everything you need as long as you're not scared of the command prompt. :)

MacOS Server I'm sure has nice front-ends for a lot of the things you'd need to configure but I wouldn't buy it personally unless I had a large network of Macs to look after and wanted to use its distributed installation/monitoring capabilities too.

Advertisement