Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming off Lyrica

Options
  • 31-05-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I have been on Lyrica 300mg for about a year now for anxiety. I feel like I am now ready to come off it. However, after researching withdrawal symptoms on the net, I am terrified to even start the weaning off process. Has anyone here come off Lyrica and had any side effects in doing so?. Thanks

Comments

HI Molly,

Id say the best thing is to talk it over with your Doctor. Discuss your fears. The Doctor will ensure you are weaned off in a slow controlled manner. Do not under any circumstances try to come off them on your own.

Ive come of them myself before, but was weaned straight onto Cymbalta.

take care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Coming off it myself. I was prescribed it for Fibromyalgia 2 years ago and feel it's doing little or nothing bar increase my weight significantly. I was on 175 mg in the evening and 75 mg in the morning.

I slowly reduced it over a couple of months and am now down to 50mg twice daily. I haven't noticed any withdrawal symptoms and will eliminate completely over the next month or so. Advice seems to be to take it slowly and taper it off. As was mentioned, it's always best to discuss with your doctor first as I did before reducing the dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I weaned myself off Lyrica a few years ago, over the space of a couple of weeks. It was really expensive and I could no longer afford it, so I had no choice but to stop. I had only been on them for a few months, and the main withdrawal symptom was a huge increase in anxiety - far worse than the anxiety that brought me to the doctor in the first place. I'd also recommend talking to your doctor before stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Op,

Is there a connection between the thoughts you are having and your previous post about coming off Lyrica?

Above all else, if you are having thoughts of not wanting to continue then you should see a professional, and I suggest starting with your GP.

The help you're looking for is near you.

Z

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

RayM wrote: »
    I weaned myself off Lyrica a few years ago, over the space of a couple of weeks. It was really expensive and I could no longer afford it, so I had no choice but to stop. I had only been on them for a few months, and the main withdrawal symptom was a huge increase in anxiety - far worse than the anxiety that brought me to the doctor in the first place. I'd also recommend talking to your doctor before stopping.

Did you take anything else for the increase in anxiety? I have reduced my dose by 75mg and feel like I want to tear my eyes out I am so anxious.

• Advertisement

Molly999 wrote: »
    Did you take anything else for the increase in anxiety? I have reduced my dose by 75mg and feel like I want to tear my eyes out I am so anxious.

I didn't take anything else - but only because I couldn't afford to go to the doctor at the time. It's possible that your doctor might prescribe something to ease the anxiety. Or they might advise you to wean yourself off in smaller steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Molly999

RayM wrote: »
    I didn't take anything else - but only because I couldn't afford to go to the doctor at the time. It's possible that your doctor might prescribe something to ease the anxiety. Or they might advise you to wean yourself off in smaller steps.

How is your anxiety now? Please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel

Molly999 wrote: »
    How is your anxiety now? Please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel

I was only on Lyrica for around four or five months, and the worst of the withdrawal effects eased off within a couple of weeks of weaning myself off. I've been on Sertraline since last November, and my anxiety has definitely stabilised. Unlike Lyrica (or 'nice' drugs like Xanax or Valium), it doesn't really 'relax' me or make me feel nicely 'zonked out' - but it definitely seems to have taken the edge off the anxiety. Over the last few years, I tried lots of different medications before I stumbled on one that (so far) seems to be working.

Advertisement