Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fordson Dexta

Options
  • 21-07-2014 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. There is an old fordson dexta in our shed for as long as I can remember (20yrs) its from circa 1956 and my dad has great stories centered around it when he was young. He is 65 early next year and I would love to get it restored for him as a present. He went about getting it restored by a local mechanic last year but due to unforeseen circumstances the tractor is now completely stripped down and I feel like all that is unusable now is the main body kit. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows of someone in or around Birr, Offaly who would restore it or is there anywhere I can get a manual and spare parts and I would give it a fair lash myself with family help? All advice and help greatly appreciated. I have pictures but unfortunately boards wont let me post them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

hey,

i did one a few yrs ago as my first tractor with dad. they are very easy to work on and parts are easy got but paying someone to do the labour would be very costly. it would be almost cheaper to just buy one already done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Thanks for the quick reply @theemigrant. Would rather fix up dad's own one and because I have such a long time to do it I might give it a go myself. Where did ye find info on fixing it up and where did ye get ye're parts?

stick up a few pics of it as it is. you say its stripped. has the engine been taken apart??
    are there any local vintage clubs in your area?? these will have a wealth of info for you.
    I usually buy most of my parts online or go to buckleys in mullingar
    Get yourself an ebay account…. you can get a lot of parts on that.

cant upload photos but heres a link to dropbox folder where they are located

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/67xg0k8jbnd1ms9/AAD12IpPVTeH-jhAJKqC0wkOa

just had a look….. that would be a massive undertaken. Why did the guy who was supped to do the work split the tractor??

• Advertisement

havn't a clue to be honest...dad asked him to fix it but couldn't continue and now tractor is in this state!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Pat McGroin

Hi , my advice to you is do it !!
    I restored one with my ould fella last year and got it going A1 by march .
    You'll get a disc on e bay with the manual on it and print the pages off as you need them .
    It's pretty simple for the most part and the more you dig at it the easier it will look .
    There's a great website here with loads of info and dexta lovers
    http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=c71a2dcfa4ab6516f0996301f6ebeb5b

Let me know how you go

Hi , my advice to you is do it !!
    I restored one with my ould fella last year and got it going A1 by march .
    You'll get a disc on e bay with the manual on it and print the pages off as you need them .
    It's pretty simple for the most part and the more you dig at it the easier it will look .
    There's a great website here with loads of info and dexta lovers
    http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=c71a2dcfa4ab6516f0996301f6ebeb5b

Let me know how you go

Have you seen the photos?? its very far gone!!

Advertisement