Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIR Accident report is out

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Thankfully the independent accident investigation branches are something that seem to work quite well in both Ireland and UK jurisdictions, at least from a non-professional perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

cbl593h wrote: »

It's some catalogue of errors all told from top to bottom. The only guys who should be commended are the drivers and pilotman, who's actions saved the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

Disagree. Show me a "rolling" managerial head near Knockmore and Malahide and then I might agree.

I'm with Losty that the driver deserves praise for making a decision when control couldn't/wouldn't. All six carriages could have ended up in the cess.

cbl593h wrote: »
    Disagree. Show me a "rolling" managerial head near Knockmore and Malahide and then I might agree.

I'm with Losty that the driver deserves praise for making a decision when control couldn't/wouldn't. All six carriages could have ended up in the cess.
    If your disagreement is a linkage between the RAIB's report and disciplinary action at NIR/Translink, I refer you to the report's preface:
    1. The purpose of a Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) investigation is to improve railway safety by preventing future railway accidents or by mitigating their consequences. It is not the purpose of such an investigation to establish blame or liability.
    2. Accordingly, it is inappropriate that RAIB reports should be used to assign fault or blame, or determine liability, since neither the investigation nor the reporting process has been undertaken for that purpose.
    3. The RAIB’s investigation (including its scope, methods, conclusions and recommendations) is independent of all other investigations, including those carried out by the safety authority, police or railway industry.

dowlingm wrote: »
    If your disagreement is a linkage between the RAIB's report and disciplinary action at NIR/Translink, I refer you to the report's preface:

It's funny how someone on another forum fell back on that exact quote (quite rightly) when dealing with the pro's and con's of the Liverpool guard who got 5 years jail after the girl fell in the gap.

But now- nobody hurt (both cases) and its ok to say shure the report doesn't apportion blame blaa blaa blaa........

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

If the "other forum" is the C&T thread on this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81752238
    then perhaps you could point out the relevant passage, since I can't find it.

If it wasn't on boards and/or I didn't say it, why am I beholden to what someone else asserts?

dowlingm wrote: »
    If the "other forum" is the C&T thread on this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81752238
    then perhaps you could point out the relevant passage, since I can't find it.

If it wasn't on boards and/or I didn't say it, why am I beholden to what someone else asserts?

It was a different forum overall, not boards.ie.

My point remains. Managers stay, staff face the music and probably suffer.

Advertisement