Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any info on the training Irish Rail drivers get?

• 17-08-2013 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Say for the class 22000, how long is the training for, do they use simulators? If so I'd like as much information a publicly available.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They uses sims alright. As far as I now training takes about 2 years with theory, sim time and route knowledge training. A friend of mine that I have not talked to in a long time is a 29k driver. He spent years checking tickets at Connolly before he could even begin training. He was passed on the Dundalk to Bray route first but wanted more after a year or so and was hoping to get some Maynooth line training in the coming months for more variation.

In Irish Rail you can't apply for train driving unless you are already within the company working in another position first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Training for mainline takes 18 months, lots of training due diversity of equipment and network

Dart is 18 weeks due being basically a single type with a consistent infrastructure

No direct entry must be IE staff first, male and female candidates.

Medical and a pass on the strange bourdon dot test required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 traindude

thanks for the info guys. those simulator videos were great. looks a lot like OpenBVE.

Now, I'm really interested in the theory, books they study, even exam papers..

Also, do manuals exist for the 22/29000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

traindude wrote: »
    Also, do manuals exist for the 22/29000?

Yes they exist but are not in the public domain.

I did see a manual for both the 141/181 and 071 class pop up on ebay a few months back. They were well worn needless to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

You have to join as a guard or similar staff first , lad I know was a LU Jubilee Line tube driver and still had to serve time as a guard before becoming a DART driver. A decade or so back so procedures might have changed since :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Never understood the rationale for that. I could understand a train guard having to be a station clerk first since it would give a good grounding in ticketing and dealing with the public. Instead you're training someone into a post while they are aspiring to leave that post for an utterly different one as a driver.

Drivers, to my mind, should be direct entry as they are in the airlines, since they interact with the public to roughly the same degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

dowlingm wrote: »
    Never understood the rationale for that. I could understand a train guard having to be a station clerk first since it would give a good grounding in ticketing and dealing with the public. Instead you're training someone into a post while they are aspiring to leave that post for an utterly different one as a driver.

Drivers, to my mind, should be direct entry as they are in the airlines, since they interact with the public to roughly the same degree.

Like most companies, they will advertise a position internally and if their is no takers, do it outside.

BTW a certain Irish airline doesn't do very much external advertising and if you don't know somebody in them you haven't much hope.

In the airline industry these days you pretty much have to roll up fully trained at your own expense. By 29 Oct 2018 all drivers must hold licences under directive 2007/59/EC. The European Railway Authority is busy pushing convergence among European railway operations to allow interoperability. Perhaps one day IE will have no choice but to hire direct entry drivers, especially if third party TOCs hit the rails without such byzantine hiring practices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dowlingm wrote: »
    In the airline industry these days you pretty much have to roll up fully trained at your own expense. By 29 Oct 2018 all drivers must hold licences under directive 2007/59/EC. The European Railway Authority is busy pushing convergence among European railway operations to allow interoperability. Perhaps one day IE will have no choice but to hire direct entry drivers, especially if third party TOCs hit the rails without such byzantine hiring practices.

That proposed licence is more so a centralised registration system than anything. It is not a driving licence or a skills passport for train operation.

fair, but you can see the way the ERA wants to go - interoperability uber alles and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jiggawha

26 weeks in the school for both dart and loco- which is rules, learning about the EMU's(dart) or dmu's or engines(loco) and how to fix faults, sims and exams all the way through the 26weeks

minium of 250 hours driving loco beening supervised doing route knowledge
    minium of 150 hours driving being supervised for dart doing route knowledge (less routes to learn)

so start to finish:
    -loco takes about min of 1year and a bit to be passed out
    -dart takes about 6/7 months to be passed out (less routes to learn)

Advertisement