Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Betting on yourself in mma

Options
  • 19-07-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Should it be allowed?

Betting on a type of finish or a particular round should not be allowed IMO.
    Any bet that could potentially influence his actions during the fight shouldn't be allowed

Surely anyone with any common sense would not put that pressure on themselves.

What if parke had gassed himself in the second trying to finish to collect his bet and ended up losing the fight.

Cannot understand why he would do that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the bet isn't influencing his finish, his preferred finish is influencing his bet

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

monkey8 wrote: »

Eh to make about 5 grand off paddy power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Luke92 wrote: »

When that happens, Happy days.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Luke92 wrote: »

I'd say mentioning paddy power made him the 5 grand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'd have no problem with it, just means you have a more focused gameplan on what to do. Some of the fighters down the card are on piss poor pay so if they want to chance it away with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,102 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What if parke had gassed himself in the second trying to finish to collect his bet and ended up losing the fight.

Then it would have been his error and his loss.

Ultimately he is going for the win regardless of the bet, so I don't see what the issue is. If PaddyPower are happy to take the bet, then why not. His edge over them is pretty big.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭cletus

The only issue would be betting on yourself to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I wonder will Dana have a word seeing as Unibet are the official betting partner. Remeber when Brock got in trouble over his Coors light comment

evil_seed wrote: »
    I wonder will Dana have a word seeing as Unibet are the official betting partner. Remeber when Brock got in trouble over his Coors light comment

Bud were directly sponsoring that event. Unibet weren't afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Should it be allowed?

Any bet that could potentially influence his actions during the fight shouldn't be allowed

Nothing wrong with backing yourself to win..... Betting against yourself is a different story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

I took it as he had a bet with Paddy Power as in the man himself

Saints#33 wrote: »
    I took it as he had a bet with Paddy Power as in the man himself
    Paddy power is a made up entity. There's no actually bookie with that name.
    The guy you see in the papers is from marketing dept. If he had a arrangement with him it would have been to mention the company for $5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

Mellor wrote: »
    Paddy power is a made up entity. There's no actually bookie with that name.
    The guy you see in the papers is from marketing dept. If he had a arrangement with him it would have been to mention the company for $5k.

You're wrong pal.Paddy Power doesn't own the actual company but is the public face of it and is a descendant of the original mr paddy power himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I could've sworn I saw unibet on the pillars around the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Should it be allowed?

Asfaik betting on oneself us illegal because if the ability to control the outcome. E.g delaying a knock out till a chosen round

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I dont think betting on yourself to win should be illegal, but when you start betting on yourself for certain rounds or finishes it seems dodgy as hell. Especially since normal people are also betting on the fight, imagine if you had a guy to win in the 2nd round while he has himself down for the 3rd round and at the start of the 2nd his opponent hurts his leg and cant defend himself but the fighter refuses to finish him until the 3rd.. convoluted maybe but you get the idea :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

ted1 wrote: »
    Asfaik betting on oneself us illegal because if the ability to control the outcome. E.g delaying a knock out till a chosen round

There is a man with the name paddy power hes son of david power who owns half the business 49% I believe,It was called paddy anyways but davids son who is always in the media happened to be called paddy,

Norman had actual cash bets think he said he'd a 500 accum with himself gunni conor and someone else aswell as a seperate bet of himself to win in 2nd round

He wouldnt of done these bets in his own name so there will be no problem with breaking rules ect.

Saints#33 wrote: »
    You're wrong pal.Paddy Power doesn't own the actual company but is the public face of it and is a descendant of the original mr paddy power himself.
    For a start, there was no original Paddy Power. 3 bookies merged together in the 80s, they choose the best known of their surnames, and made up a fictional bookie called "Paddy" - to make it Irish.

The public face of the company, is the son one of the founders, but he isn't one of the directors, he's just a market gimmick. And as I said, he's not a bookie - he's head of marketing. So he comes up with those controversial advertising stunts - like having fighters say the name on TV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I was very surprised to hear parke say that. Mainly that the bookie wouldn't take the bet if they knew he could influence the round that he was gonna finish in. If the bet was put on in another person's name, well that opens up a completely different kettle of fish.

My money is on PP paying him for the mention

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I work for a sports betting company and we don't allow professional players to bet on their sport. So I'm surprised that they let him bet on himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I work for a sports betting company and we don't allow professional players to bet on their sport. So I'm surprised that they let him bet on himself.

What's to stop someone else betting on his behalf?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Gumbi wrote: »
    This is from Paddy Power
    9. Suspicious Betting
    9.1.3 where the integrity of an event (or events) has been called into question, including, for example, but not limited to where one (or more) of the participants in an event displays exceptional form which we reasonably believe was known to you or someone connected to you prior to the event but was concealed from the public generally in order to gain an unfair advantage in any bets placed on that event (or those events);

9.1.7 where we otherwise believe, acting reasonably, that you are acting in concert with others or that you are acting other than on your own behalf; or

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Gumbi wrote: »
    Nothing really. I'd be confident enough in our companies fraud department to spot something out of the norm.

Obviously MMA isn't a huge market so to see someone from Northern Ireland placing a huge bet on Norman Parke to win might seem suspicious.

There's obviously other ways of finding out some information about the account owner/operator (which I'm not going to go into).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Unibet were sponsoring it ...

071914-UFC-McGregor-Brandao-PI-360x220.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Wouldnt say Unibet were too pleased but least it wasnt Conor the one who mentioned Paddy Power that would of been more significant,no doubt norman placed these bets in someone elses disguise 100% certain to be paid out in full if they said no then he could have asked for every bet he had over the years on himself back as he couldnt win them in theory.

dickwod1 wrote: »
    Unibet were sponsoring it ...

071914-UFC-McGregor-Brandao-PI-360x220.jpg

Didn't even notice that.
    Wouldnt say Unibet were too pleased but least it wasnt Conor the one who mentioned Paddy Power that would of been more significant,no doubt norman placed these bets in someone elses disguise 100% certain to be paid out in full [/v]if they said no then he could have asked for every bet he had over the years on himself back as he couldnt win them in theory.
    Not really tbh. By announcing his bet, he's outed any covert bet he made. I'd assume there wasn't any other 5k bets on the finish. So they could with hold it stating their T&Cs.he'd have no legal recourse to claim back other bets either.

But as was said, the "bet" probably never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Betting on yourself in any form should be illegal as it can change the outcome of the game.

Simple example: I will win by knockout in the second round.
    During the first round, I have the opportunity to beat him, I can see I have his number, but I choose to delay until the next round as I want to win my bet.

Advertisement