Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bank to put my money in?

Options
  • 25-01-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi i currently have about €20000 gaining interest in an anglo account (was something like 4.5% interest over 12 months)
    The account will mature at the end of the month and obviously i want to keep gaining good interest on it but I dont have the time to spend investing with the dedication i'd like.
    My question is which would be the best bank to put my money into? (I'm loioking for a fixed term account from anywhere between 6 - 18 months)

Also i have been hearing that the governments guarantee for the safety of deposit accounts will expire in september. Is this something i should take into account and if so what's the best way to ensure the safety of my money?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 lilstar85

Well i know a great bank .... you can put it in mine lol

I promise you it will be very safe....! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

If your only criteria is maximising return without thought to security/risk, then askaboutmoney has a thread which lists the returns available from various banks and its kept up to date

Try this one for fixed term:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=101813

Or this one for variable:
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=102329

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

So what happens after september and the governments guarantee expires, is our money at risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

akadesign wrote: »
    So what happens after september and the governments guarantee expires, is our money at risk?

Thats for you to decide - by that stage it looks like the main banks will be majority owned by the Irish Gov. anyway

The only bank (I think?) in the Irish Deposit market that has a higher credit rating than the Irish state is Rabobank (RaboDirect)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 i_inky

At the moment Anglo is the safest bank in the country as it is owned by the government. Effectively the government guarantee can not run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Andymfinancial

if you would consider a deposit type tracker over 1yr and 3 1/2 yrs you may want to consider BCP Split Deposit Bond, go to BCP's website and you will find a brochure there. The performance is outstanding. 8% is available not 6% as stated, PM me and i will tell you how

Advertisement