Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Maps - Naming my "Places"

Options
  • 28-02-2013 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Love and totally rely on Google Maps for getting to meetings etc.

What I typically do is find the location I'm going to on Google Maps using my Laptop browser before leaving the office, bookmark the location (right click -> What's here -> Click on the red marker -> Click on the star/favourite icon) then go into my bookmarks and edit the name of the location to something that makes sense to me e.g. "XYZ Ltd" instead of the address Google Maps has assigned to the location which is obviously correct (e.g. 23 Borning Street) but which won't mean anything to me a few hours or days later when I'm scrolling through "My Places" to find the destination I need to navigate to.

In the past the above process worked fine. When I went into My Places on Google Maps on my phone the places I had bookmarked were there and displayed using the Edited names I had changed them to but recently despite my bookmarks being displayed using the names I had edited them to in either my laptop browser or my phone browser Google Maps on my phone only displays them using the original names they were assigned by Google when I book marked them and not the names I had subsequently amended them to.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is there a fix? It's incredibly annoying to have a list of places which are labelled in a manner which is meaningless :confused:

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

^^^ Bump, any suggestions anyone?

^^^ Have I discovered something no one knows anything about??

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

I have the same issue, has been there through numerous updates and reinstalls.
    No idea how to fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Not sure if it will work but have you tried www.google.com/bookmarks ?
    You can edit the names in there.

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

Love and totally rely on Google Maps for getting to meetings etc.

What I typically do is find the location I'm going to on Google Maps using my Laptop browser before leaving the office, bookmark the location (right click -> What's here -> Click on the red marker -> Click on the star/favourite icon) then go into my bookmarks and edit the name of the location to something that makes sense to me e.g. "XYZ Ltd" instead of the address Google Maps has assigned to the location which is obviously correct (e.g. 23 Borning Street) but which won't mean anything to me a few hours or days later when I'm scrolling through "My Places" to find the destination I need to navigate to.

In the past the above process worked fine. When I went into My Places on Google Maps on my phone the places I had bookmarked were there and displayed using the Edited names I had changed them to but recently despite my bookmarks being displayed using the names I had edited them to in either my laptop browser or my phone browser Google Maps on my phone only displays them using the original names they were assigned by Google when I book marked them and not the names I had subsequently amended them to.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is there a fix? It's incredibly annoying to have a list of places which are labelled in a manner which is meaningless :confused:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Yeah I've done that, and then refreshed my places in the app but they don't change. Also cleared the cache and reinstalled the app.
    Names are correct in google bookmarks but in the app I have the GPS coordinates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've noticed this too, I just get around it by finding them in 'Recent' on the app.

I'm 'glad' I'm not the only one experiencing this, I thought I must be doing something really stupid!

Also, why does the worlds foremost search engine provider not enable it's maps app with a search function? I have about 130 places starred which are listed in date order. This is a major pain in the ass when trying to find one of them not to mention the fact a lot of them are stored as co-ordinates or street addresses instead of the names I went to the trouble of giving them in Google bookmarks.

Why hasn't Google implemented a search option in the My Places menu so we can quickly find what we are looking for??? :confused:

Ben

Advertisement