Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strep B

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

My friend just had her baby in London and she had strep B she only had time for one lot of antibiotics during labour ( she had him very quick :D) so they gave him Antibiotics for it. They tested her automatically for it so they were prepared when she went in !! If i ever get pregnant i will ask to be tested !!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

can you request to be tested while in labour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

hacked wrote: »
    can you request to be tested while in labour?

It's a culture test, so it takes 48 hours. So no good in labour.
    However, What to Expect says they are working on a fast test that only takes an hour...Don't know if it is available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

My urine test at my first hopsital appointment showed protein present so my sample was sent off for tests. I've just received a letter from Holles Street to say that I have tested positive for Strep B:( and will have to have antibiotics during labour.

I've just been reading up on it and although happy it has been picked up, I am quite frankly terrified. As my next appointment at Holles Street isn't until June so I can't ask the midwives until then, can anyone tell me the practical implications of this in terms of when I go into labour? Basically does it mean that as soon as I go into labour I will have to go to hospital as opposed to being able to do some of it at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Vel wrote: »
    My urine test at my first hopsital appointment showed protein present so my sample was sent off for tests. I've just received a letter from Holles Street to say that I have tested positive for Strep B:( and will have to have antibiotics during labour.

I've just been reading up on it and although happy it has been picked up, I am quite frankly terrified. As my next appointment at Holles Street isn't until June so I can't ask the midwives until then, can anyone tell me the practical implications of this in terms of when I go into labour? Basically does it mean that as soon as I go into labour I will have to go to hospital as opposed to being able to do some of it at home?

hey, don't worry.
    afaik, they only give you antibiotics once you are in active labour or your waters have broken.
    I had to get antibiotics in hospital because my waters were broken too long (risk of infection) and I think you'll have to have similar except probably straight away. But it's not a drip, so you can move around/go to the shower.
    ask at your next appointment anyway, but don't stress about it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Once you know you have it, you are told to get to the hosp on sign of birth coming, they will give you antib, I think they have to be in your system for at least 8 hrs. I didnt get antib and my baby got strep B and was in ICU for 6 weeks, so get to the hosp and get the antib and everything should be ok. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hi ladies,
    I am currently 25 1/2 weeks pregnant with twins and have been told that I had a positive swab for Strep B.
    Have been reading up on it and am due to see my consultant on monday.
    I know I will be given antibiotics during labour but can anyone tell me if it can cause premature labour?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hi ladies,
    I am currently 25 1/2 weeks pregnant with twins and have been told that I had a positive swab for Strep B.
    I know I will be given antibiotics during labour but can anyone tell me if it can cause premature labour?

You'll have to ask your doctor to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Hi ladies,

I cant answer your question about premature labour but please mind yourself. My daughter developed strep b meningitis and if i had of been given the test it could have prevented her getting so seriously ill.

I really wish you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Some of the Polish girls I work with, went home early in pregnancy to be tested for this and abnormalities and toxoplasmosis and a few other things. All young healthy girls. I found it a bit worrying while I was pregnant as none of those test were offered to me.

Newmommy2011, howdid you end up getting tested, did you ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Das Kitty wrote: »
    You'll have to ask your doctor to be sure.

Yep wil definitely be talking to my doc about it. Just trying to get as much info before i see him on monday.
    lolli wrote: »
    I cant answer your question about premature labour but please mind yourself. My daughter developed strep b meningitis and if i had of been given the test it could have prevented her getting so seriously ill.

I really wish you all the best!

Many thanks for your good wishes. Have read a few of your posts in this and other threads. Really hope things start getting easier for your little one.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Newmommy2011, howdid you end up getting tested, did you ask?
    I went into the rotunda last weekend panicking that I was leaking fluid and they took the swab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Many thanks for your good wishes. Have read a few of your posts in this and other threads. Really hope things start getting easier for your little one.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Hi ladies,

It can cause premature labour in some women. Get your consultant to monitor you regularily and keep a close eye on you. Just because you have the strep B does not mean will you go into prem labour.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I had to stay an extra 2 days in Hospital cause Strep B was found in my placenta.. The baby wasn't affected by it but they kept him in for antibiotics just to be on the safe side..

He actually had to have the antibiotics for 5 days but I was being kept in anyway as I had a section..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

Group B testing is not a black and white and the latest research shows antibiotics don't guarantee your baby won't develop symptoms. A big issue is that antibiotic resistance to Group B can result in more cases of E coli.....

For one thing until women are routinely tested routine breaking of the waters in labour when you don't know a Mother's status should be avoided. So are babies being put at risk with active management of labour?

This is a really good article for anyone concerned about Group B and an interesting study on other ways to prevent transmission without antibiotics.

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/treating-group-b-strep

http://icpa4kids.org/HPA-Articles/preventing-group-b-streptococcus.html

http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab007467.html

Advertisement