Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light bulb ban

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

LED's ftw!

Would something like this not make a lot more sense??

http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I went out today to buy a couple of bulbs to replace blown ones. Interestingly, the local Tesco and Homebase have run their stocks of incandescents right down to a few 60W and 40W. They had a smallish selection of energy savers for about five times the price, but the best they could offer in terms of equivalent illumination was 100W. The most stocked were the equivalent of 60W. Given the threatened increase in taxes, cuts in public services, sky high electricity and fuel charges, and now overpriced and inadequate lighting, I suspect it's going to be a dark, cold winter.:(

LED's ftw!

Would something like this not make a lot more sense??

http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx

Quite. There are several companies offering LED arrays, and the technology is developing rapidly. They are much more energy efficient than flourescents, don't contain toxic metals, last may times longer, and don't flicker. So, why don't Gormley & Co encourage the development of them, so that they are better able to replace incandescents and become cheaper, and let natural market forces phase out incandescents like they did with the Model T Ford? Could it be that having been given a (hopefully short) chance in government the Greens are anxious to drive through their hysterical agenda before they are turfed out again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Flat screen plasma TV's are next to follow the faith of the condescend light bulb.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1112110/Energy-guzzling-plasma-TVs-banned-Brussels-eco-blitz.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The plan to rid UK of bayonet bulbs take place later this year and the alternitive bulbs will increase in price .I like a lot of people find the fluorescent ones to be dim and I will be stocking up on bayonet ones till they are gone .As somebody said , it's just Brussels like a dictatorship flexing it's power mad muscles again .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Flat screen plasma TV's are next to follow the faith of the condescend light bulb.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1112110/Energy-guzzling-plasma-TVs-banned-Brussels-eco-blitz.html

Was just reading that - where doe the EU madness end!

If the publicity of the EU is to be believed this endless blizzard of regulation will assist Europe in competing with the developing economies like China and India. In that case I personally accept the need to ban incandescent bulbs and plasma TVs -- particularly those manufactured in China or India:D

*Oh, and I am a confirmed believer in fairies*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Biggins wrote: »
    It isn't really, Plasma is a bit of a non technology in that it's not used allot. So no one will really be all that effected by it. Whats the harm, allot of people probably don't realize the difference between plasma and LCD so in a way their protecting consumers as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Flat screen plasma TV's are next to follow the faith of the condescend light bulb. l
    Could you repost that sentence in English please? Sounds like something from engrish.com :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Let's see. A newspaper famous for its bull$hit and it's extreme anti-EU sentiment aimed at the unintelligent/uneducated/underprivileged in our (well, actually British, but a lot of Irish seem to want to be British) society.

I would imagine that all this stems from some proposal from some EU politician asking the EU to introduce guidelines to increase the efficiency of Plasma TVs (or something to this effect). This, by the way, would actually be a good thing as they do use way more power than LCD TVs. This is one of the reasons that LCD TV's are now far more popular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

*facepalm*

It's the dailymail, a rag with a long history of making shit up when it comes to the EU. Or anyone who's not their target demographic.

For someone who's always giving out that the people of this country are too easilly led you seem awful quick to take your cues from the most dubious of sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

dotsman wrote: »
    Let's see. A newspaper famous for its bull$hit and it's extreme anti-EU sentiment aimed at the unintelligent/uneducated/underprivileged in our (well, actually British, but a lot of Irish seem to want to be British) society.
    The Daily mail didn't make this up. :rolleyes:

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=en_ie&ie=UTF-8&ncl=1291766621

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Just so you know, you can get ASDA smart price low energy bulbs for very cheap, for those of you close to the border.

They are only marginally more expensive than regular bulbs in the REP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You did though, you scumbag. Watch, I can do it too.

RUN TO DA HILLS IS A PAEDOPHILE!!!!!!!!

It's been discovered that a neighbour of sick madman run_to_da_hills has been discovered with leud holiday snaps of their 8 year old children. BAN THIS SICK FILTH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Regarding LED lights, I got some GU10 (240V AC halogen type fitting) LED lamps off eBay - 48 LED lamps were the most I could get that would fit in the standard 50mm fittings. However they were terribly dim and painfully flickery compared to 50W halogens.

You'd think LEDs wouldn't flicker but I guess there's not enough space in a GU10 lamp to have any sort of decent AC-DC rectifiers. I don't think they'll ever make decent GU10 halogen replacements because of this. If you have 12V/24V DC halogens you've a much better chance of them not being shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moriarty wrote: »
    You did though, you scumbag. Watch, I can do it too.

RUN TO DA HILLS IS A PAEDOPHILE!!!!!!!!

It's been discovered that a neighbour of sick madman run_to_da_hills has been discovered with leud holiday snaps of their 8 year old children. BAN THIS SICK FILTH!
    Well that's a bit much.
    Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You didn't read those links did you?
    Telegraph wrote:
    Now European governments are finalising a mandatory EU regulation to set minimum standards for televisions. The worst performers will be phased out, and the rest will have to be labelled with energy ratings, so consumers will be able to identify in order to distinguish the most energy efficient sets.
    PC World wrote:
    "Minimum energy performance standards for televisions are expected to be agreed across Europe this spring, and this should lead to phasing out the most inefficient TV," said the EU.

Under the energy performance standards, a labelling system detailing the energy used by each device will also be implemented.

So, you lied when you stated "Flat screen plasma TV's are next to follow the faith of the condescend light bulb." (ie get banned). Go on, admit it;)

Advertisement