Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light bulb ban

• 29-05-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

Continuing with my curiousity about bizarre regulations in this country, I have read for a while about Gorgeous Gormley planning to ban incandescent light bulbs from January 2009. From then on everyone has to buy energy saving bulbs containing mercury. Meanwhile, the EU plans to ban the export of products containing mercury from March 2011.

The EU, apparently, has told the Irish government that the ban might be unworkable, since under the EU free trade rules there is nothing to stop a retailer simply importing incandescent bulbs from suppliers in another member state where they are not banned.

All very confusing, but on face value it would appear that from next year we will not be able to buy incandescent bulbs, and flourescents containing mercury cannot be imported from another country from 2011. Personally I am going to spend the next two years accumulating a large stock of candles and working out how to render down next door's cat for oil for my oil lamps:D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

ART6 wrote: »
    Personally I am going to spend the next two years accumulating a large stock of candles and working out how to render down next door's cat for oil for my oil lamps:D
    But then you'll have the greens after you for adding to air pollution and the Greenhouse Effect? And what about those looking out for the care and treatment of the kitty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

But then you'll have the greens after you for adding to air pollution and the Greenhouse Effect? And what about those looking out for the care and treatment of the kitty?

Has the Minister for Health brought up any concerns regarding reports that these new lightbulbs can have an adverse affect on people suffering from Lupus?

I'd love to see a CFL bulb work in an oven!
    There are certain curcumstances when standard incancescent bulbs are the best choice, short duration & full brightness use, in cupboards, for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The EU, apparently, has told the Irish government that the ban might be unworkable, since under the EU free trade rules there is nothing to stop a retailer simply importing incandescent bulbs from suppliers in another member state where they are not banned.

But then we can import marijuana from Holland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

All very confusing, but on face value it would appear that from next year we will not be able to buy incandescent bulbs, and flourescents containing mercury cannot be imported from another country from 2011.
    ...then in 2012 the enforced Granola eating begins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Has the Minister for Health brought up any concerns regarding reports that these new lightbulbs can have an adverse affect on people suffering from Lupus?

Please, It's never lupus.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

So I guess this means the prices are going to rocket sky high? €5 blubs anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The maufacturers of these new 'energy efficient' bulbs are probably licking their lips at the vast income they will now receive. Once again this 'energy efficiency' bull **** gets tied in with Global Warming yet the two are not related.
    We are being taken for mugs by allowing ourselves to be confused on the (seperate) issues of Global Warming and energy conservation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Continuing with my curiousity about bizarre regulations in this country, I have read for a while about Gorgeous Gormley planning to ban incandescent light bulbs from January 2009. From then on everyone has to buy energy saving bulbs containing mercury. Meanwhile, the EU plans to ban the export of products containing mercury from March 2011.

Is that just banning exports from the EU or what? I'd say most of our light bulbs are made within the EU.

Before anyone goes on about mercury being bad, the amount of mercury in CFL bulbs is offset significantly by the reduction of mercury emissions from coal power plants - don't ask me how they emit mercury, it just happens :D
    There are certain curcumstances when standard incancescent bulbs are the best choice, short duration & full brightness use, in cupboards, for example
    Crap colour temperature too. All greeny-bluey - yuck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cupboards / cars should use LED's in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

The energy efficient "bull****" as someone called it is a good thing. It IS about time we started thinking about being efficient! And light bulbs is a tiny way to do it, so why not try do it?

Sure those bulbs will be banned in a few years but by then a safer form will come along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I'd love to see a CFL bulb work in an oven!

Same thought occurred to me. Even if they would work there, would you really want to put something containing mercury in your oven or microwave close to your food? The same government banned mercury thermometers because of the perceived danger that the stuff might get ingested. And what about car headlights? If the ban applies to them too, there will be no more flashing your lights as they'll take too long to light up, and since CFLs don't fit we'll all be driving blind in the dark anyway:)

JangoFett wrote: »
    The energy efficient "bull****" as someone called it is a good thing. It IS about time we started thinking about being efficient! And light bulbs is a tiny way to do it, so why not try do it?

Sure those bulbs will be banned in a few years but by then a safer form will come along!

Strangely enough I am inclined to agree. Research has suggested that if there were no incandescents there would be a need for something like twenty fewer power stations in greater Europe, but are CFLs the way to do it? LEDs are being developed rapidly and there are now manufacturers who produce LED arrays that are smaller than incandescents for the same light output, use less power than CFLs, last much longer, and don't contain any mercury. I would go with that without needing to be winged at by The Green Gormley and his bike!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Gormless and his crew are just a bunch of leftie, communist, pinko hippies who will have us all living in caves eating tofu and being homosexual.
    C*unts, im going to burn a tyre just for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

caoibhin wrote: »
    Gormless and his crew are just a bunch of leftie, communist, pinko hippies who will have us all living in caves eating tofu and being homosexual.
    C*unts, im going to burn a tyre just for that.

I for one welcome our new leftie communist pinko hippy homosexual tofu eating overlords.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Solution:

Buy energy saving bulbs which 'don't' contain mercury.

Jesus Christ, you guys are making a big deal out of nothing.

Just wait 'til OLED technology matures then hopefully we will have "wallpaper" lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

And what about car headlights? If the ban applies to them too, there will be no more flashing your lights as they'll take too long to light up, and since CFLs don't fit we'll all be driving blind in the dark anyway:)

Most car headlights use halogen bulbs or HID's . Not the same as the incandescent yokes in your house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If they are mass produced in China with questionable materials by workers earning one euro per day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Not a very bright idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Sherifu wrote: »
    Not a very bright idea.

:D

I'm gonna quit my job and start making candles, I'll be filthy rich, you'll see!!!

• Advertisement

Sherifu wrote: »
    Not a very bright idea.
    No light bulbs going off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Note the phrase "tiny". It's like pissing on a bonfire. If global warming is caused by humans, there is nothing we can do except move to Greenland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they are mass produced in China with questionable materials by workers earning one euro per day?
    That's €7 a week ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

hmm? Energy Saving Bulbs? (ESB.. Subliminal maybe)?

meh, ill just cross the border to clogher market and buy incandescants there!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭echter

Those bulbs hurt my eyes, they give me headaches, everything has a yellow hue, they take about 15 seconds to start up, you need to open a window and use gloves to clean them up if they break, they have mercury in them and they look crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

echter wrote: »
    Those bulbs hurt my eyes, they give me headaches, everything has a yellow hue, they take about 15 seconds to start up, you need to open a window and use gloves to clean them up if they break, they have mercury in them and they look crap.
    +1,000,000,000,000,000

Try reading with them - it's agony.

The reason they hurt your eyes is that while a traditional lightbulb emits a constant stream of light, CFLs flicker constantly, just too fast for you to see. As they get older, the flicker slows down, which, while still too fast to be concious of, is slow enough to hurt your eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

The light bulb ban is going ahead according to Gormley. From March next year, you will unable to purchase traditional bulb over 75W with phasing out of rest by 2012.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1010/energy.html

Even with new energy saving bulbs, they don't give off the same spectrum and quality of light as traditional bulb.
    What about GU10 spotlights that everyone has now instead of single bulb hanging from ceiling? The LED replacement style for them are very expensive, have poor light spectrum & angle of light emitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Ban The Bulb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

DrMorphine wrote: »
    So I guess this means the prices are going to rocket sky high? €5 blubs anyone?
    thats already the case for these energy friendly bulbs. fortunately theyve gotten to the stage over the last few years that they give off almost the same warmth as an incandescent bulb - theyre no longer very fluorescenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭brosps

echter wrote: »

you look crap you gobmachine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

LEDs: good enough for Audi...good enough for yore cupboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Cars with LED lights seem to have a high fail rate NCT's, as the LED's show as 'blue'. I had THREE sets of white LED's put in my car for an NCT, & they failed & the reason they cited 'blue', even when I showed them the packets & bought a second set, & put it through a SECOND time. Only when I put in regular bulbs did it pass.

The lightbulb ban thing is bull**** anyway - & I do my shopping in N.I., so I'll be stocking up from up there, where there's still a modicum of freedom from facists like Herr Gormley & his grass-nazi's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ven0m wrote: »
    anyway - & I do my shopping in N.I., so I'll be stocking up from up there, where there's still a modicum of freedom from facists like Herr Gormley & his grass-nazi's.
    Smuggling incandescent bulbs into the country will be illegal and incur severe penalties similar to that of importing fireworks :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Smuggling incandescent bulbs into the country will be illegal and incur severe penalties similar to that of importing fireworks :eek:

It's not smuggling, it's free trade from another E.U. state where taxes have been paid. I'd like to see them enforce it, as it'll end up before the european courts & Gormless will be forced to stand down & stop being such a hypocrit.

Anyone notice how the green party fly post for elections & use cable ties that are made from petroleum, & they use a van to go from lamp-post to lamp-post to put said posters up?

I tackled a local candidate about it & he slammed my sliding door saying 'he doesn't have to put up with this at the door'. I reminded him he knocked at my door, & ended up ringing Green party offices to complain without so much as an apology for their candidates behaviour at MY door.

The green party in ireland are facists who don't actually care about the environment one damned iota. The fact they will not even look at green I.T. services within Government or seek to make it a mandate says it all, since I.T. services are generally considered one of the largest contributers to energy waste globally.

Screw the greens & their policies .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Maybe that's changing? Have you not noticed the cost of things produced in China going up? They are slowly introducing unions, health and safety regulations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Maybe that's changing? Have you not noticed the cost of things produced in China going up? They are slowly introducing unions, health and safety regulations etc.

Oh I thought they only introduced lead paint and melamine into infant's diets. They do unions too?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The countries falling apart and all the greens are worried about is f*cking lightbulbs.
    Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Dinter wrote: »
    Oh I thought they only introduced lead paint and melamine into infant's diets. They do unions too?

Well these things hardly happen overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hellrazer wrote: »
    The countries falling apart and all the greens are worried about is f*cking lightbulbs.
    Says it all really.

Also, I understand that the manufacturing industry and the EU Commission have already warned Gormless & Co that the replacement of incandescents from January next year is unrealistic and unachievable. In spite of that expert evidence Gormley of course knows better. I was always of the understanding that anyone who insists he is right when all of the evidence suggests that he is wrong is a fool. But that's the Green Gestapo all over, isn't it?

More to do with the price of oil, as well as the fact that the chinese are loosening their grip on exchange controls and letting their currency float making their exports more expensive.

• Advertisement

Cars with LED lights seem to have a high fail rate NCT's, as the LED's show as 'blue'. I had THREE sets of white LED's put in my car for an NCT, & they failed & the reason they cited 'blue', even when I showed them the packets & bought a second set, & put it through a SECOND time. Only when I put in regular bulbs did it pass.

If that's the case then the NCT needs to be amended to take into account the changes in lamp technology, or ban their fitting in vehicles full stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Says it all really.

+1 Fookin damn right!
    Imagine the cabinet meetings, all the FF'ers sittin there lookin at these gob****e greens harpin on about lightbulbs!
    ya....well done lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's not smuggling, it's free trade from another E.U. state where taxes have been paid. I'd like to see them enforce it, as it'll end up before the european courts & Gormless will be forced to stand down & stop being such a hypocrit.

Anyone notice how the green party fly post for elections & use cable ties that are made from petroleum, & they use a van to go from lamp-post to lamp-post to put said posters up?

I tackled a local candidate about it & he slammed my sliding door saying 'he doesn't have to put up with this at the door'. I reminded him he knocked at my door, & ended up ringing Green party offices to complain without so much as an apology for their candidates behaviour at MY door.

The green party in ireland are facists who don't actually care about the environment one damned iota. The fact they will not even look at green I.T. services within Government or seek to make it a mandate says it all, since I.T. services are generally considered one of the largest contributers to energy waste globally.

Screw the greens & their policies .......

well said hopefully these zealots will be put to the sword at the next election
    the average person on the street is sick to the teeth of this sect lecturing us on how we should live our lives

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

"GET YOUR WRAPPING PAAAPER TEN SHEETS FOR A URO" PISST WANNA BUY 100WATT LIGHT BULBS ":D
    whats this with the greens do they want the accolade of the party that did turn out the lights in ireland .
    whats next ? we all will have to sh1te into a barrel of sawdust

If that's the case then the NCT needs to be amended to take into account the changes in lamp technology, or ban their fitting in vehicles full stop!
    I reckon the problem is in the lamp technology. Far too many "white" LED's are blue, which is as far away from yellow as you can get. Yellow being an alternative colour for headlights in some places. It would be very easy to manufacture LED clusters with more yellow/orange or change the fuorescent mixture fro ultraviolet/blue LED's

and I have very little respect for the makers of car bulbs with the way the orange coating just flakes off indicator bulbs , it should out last the bulb , coloured glass has been around for thousands of years /rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I reckon the problem is in the lamp technology. Far too many "white" LED's are blue, which is as far away from yellow as you can get. Yellow being an alternative colour for headlights in some places. It would be very easy to manufacture LED clusters with more yellow/orange or change the fuorescent mixture fro ultraviolet/blue LED's

and I have very little respect for the makers of car bulbs with the way the orange coating just flakes off indicator bulbs , it should out last the bulb , coloured glass has been around for thousands of years /rant

Are you on acid?:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are you on acid?:D:D:D

He's been licking the flaking paint off his indicators.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Speaking from an electricians point of view I'm all for energy saving, but try telling a customer that their lovely chandelier will need to be replaced with CFL candle look'a'like bulbs that are hit and miss on the dimming technology.

Some of them dont seem so nice anymore.

And on the point that its for energy saving purposes and because they are inefficiant, I haven't heard much about the ban of dichroic downlights. Ya know, the ones that are between 30-50 watts depending on what spot bulb is installed. Some kitchens use up to 400+ watts just to light it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

whats next ? we all will have to sh1te into a barrel of sawdust

No, you need to cut down trees to get sawdust.

You will have to ****e into barrels of the unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I started stockpiling tungsten filament bulbs back at the end of last year when f*ckwit Gormley first mentioned this ban. I'm not kidding. I've about 30 bulbs most standard sizes, ranging from 40-100w. I'll buy a few more between now and january...with any luck (and good bulbs) this ban need never effect me and I need never suffer the dimness of CFLs...

Anyone that votes for the green party after the true colours they have shown since jumping into bed with FF needs their head reading...as someone with environmental and green leanings, I'd be the type that should be voting for them...tbh I'd sooner vote for Dermot Ahern. The greens are the next PDs...disband now and go live someplace else you f*cking fascists...

• Advertisement
Advertisement