Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take to get a visa?

Options
  • 14-02-2013 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows roughly the wait time between applying for a visa and receiving one from the Japanese embassy here? I will be applying for a student visa but I'm also interested in the length it takes to get a working visa.

Basically, I'll be receiving my certificate of eligibility in late June but am hoping to leave the country in early August to go travellling in Japan before my semester starts in mid September. Is 1 month a long enough wait time for a visa?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Can you go on a holiday visa first even if the student visa hasn't arrived?
    Sounds like a great idea to do a bit of travelling first.

I don't know how long a student visa takes, but I know my working visa took a long time.. two or three months at least. The company I worked for applied on my behalf so I'm not sure the ins and outs of why it took so long or if thats normal.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Giruilla wrote: »
    I know my working visa took a long time.. two or three months at least.

I believe the Japanese are very particular about who they let stay in their country for any length of time, perhaps that's why it took so long?

I have heard that if you step out of line at all (ie, come to the attention of the police), you'll be deported and never let back in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Giruilla wrote: »
    Can you go on a holiday visa first even if the student visa hasn't arrived?
    Sounds like a great idea to do a bit of travelling first.

I don't know how long a student visa takes, but I know my working visa took a long time.. two or three months at least. The company I worked for applied on my behalf so I'm not sure the ins and outs of why it took so long or if thats normal.

My only problem with that is that I won't be coming back to Ireland once I leave for another 6 months or something.

Thanks for replying though, might try mailing the embassy myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Konata wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows roughly the wait time between applying for a visa and receiving one from the Japanese embassy here? I will be applying for a student visa but I'm also interested in the length it takes to get a working visa.

Basically, I'll be receiving my certificate of eligibility in late June but am hoping to leave the country in early August to go travellling in Japan before my semester starts in mid September. Is 1 month a long enough wait time for a visa?

As most people know there is a Visa waver between Japan and Ireland and will allow eligible travelers to arrive in Japan and are stamped in as a visitor for 90 days stay.
    You are only allowed to have 1 (one) visa type to stay in Japan for a given period. If you entre on a student visa, you leave the country when that visa expires you may qualify to work as a student up to 15 hours per week to support your stay as an exchange student.

Changing from a student visa to Working Holiday Visa while resident in Japan is not impossible but is dam well near enough . You should discuss this with someone when you go to Nutley Lane.

Some feed back of your experience on this topic would be helpful .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

shindig-jp wrote: »
    As most people know there is a Visa waver between Japan and Ireland and will allow eligible travelers to arrive in Japan and are stamped in as a visitor for 90 days stay.
    You are only allowed to have 1 (one) visa type to stay in Japan for a given period. If you entre on a student visa, you leave the country when that visa expires you may qualify to work as a student up to 15 hours per week to support your stay as an exchange student.

Changing from a student visa to Working Holiday Visa while resident in Japan is not impossible but is dam well near enough . You should discuss this with someone when you go to Nutley Lane.

Some feed back of your experience on this topic would be helpful .

Oh, the working visa isn't for me, it's for my boyfriend who will hopefully be joining me at some point. I'll only be going over on the student visa for the year and then coming back as I have to finish college here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭TAPA2012

Took me 2 weeks to get a working holiday visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭TAPA2012

Took my boyf just under two months to get a working visa....it takes longer because you have to get a certificate of eligibility. It all depends how quick the company/school processes the documentation in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Holy Necro-post Batman!

My own experience:

The whole process took me a month, from getting the cert (about 2 weeks) to handing it into the embassy (had to wait another 2 weeks). You receive the actual visa "stamp" once you go through emigration at Narita.

My colleagues are all American and their visas took much longer than mine did, but I've worked with French and Germans who's visa were just as quick as mine was.

Advertisement