Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens 3 Piece Suit. Advice needed.

• 31-10-2012 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Maybe this thread might have been better in the Gentleman's Forum?

I'm at an age where I am thinking of investing in a good suit. I have two "regular" suits, a charcoal grey one, and a black one. They are fine for formal occasions, but they wouldn't exactly look dapper etc. Now I did get them "tweaked" in the shop so they fit ok. These suits weren't that expensive, a few hundred quid in sales from what I remember. I would often wear them for work, (they are those types of suits)

I am thinking of getting a 3 piece suit. One that would be cool to wear at other times, not just at weddings (or funerals!). Now I'm not loaded, so won't be spending thousands on one, but am aware that if you get a good suit, it will last you for a long time. I am not sure if it would be better to buy one in a shop in Ireland or try and get one online with my measurements.

Think Nick Cave. ;). I'm not as thin as him, but I'm not overweight either. Just normal, 6ft plus. I think 3 piece suits look great.

What would the differences be between a tailored suit as opposed to another type of suit?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Prettyblack

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Maybe this thread might have been better in the Gentleman's Forum?

I'm at an age where I am thinking of investing in a good suit. I have two "regular" suits, a charcoal grey one, and a black one. They are fine for formal occasions, but they wouldn't exactly look dapper etc. Now I did get them "tweaked" in the shop so they fit ok. These suits weren't that expensive, a few hundred quid in sales from what I remember. I would often wear them for work, (they are those types of suits)

I am thinking of getting a 3 piece suit. One that would be cool to wear at other times, not just at weddings (or funerals!). Now I'm not loaded, so won't be spending thousands on one, but am aware that if you get a good suit, it will last you for a long time. I am not sure if it would be better to buy one in a shop in Ireland or try and get one online with my measurements.

Think Nick Cave. ;). I'm not as thin as him, but I'm not overweight either. Just normal, 6ft plus. I think 3 piece suits look great.

What would the differences be between a tailored suit as opposed to another type of suit?

I was going to get a three piece suit once, but when I put on the waist coat I just felt like a snooker player!

A tailored suit, you mean bespoke? That means its been built from scratch for your measurements, rather than off the rack and altered. You choose the cloth, the cut, the lining, etc. It costs a lot of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

If you want one good suit I'd recommend a Canali in Louise Coplands - about €900 but it will fit better than any tailored suit as you pick trousers and jacket off the rack but they then alter them. Charcoal grey and navy are v nice and versatile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

That would be an investment alright. Work currently is going so-so. If things pick up, then that would be my treat :)

Advertisement