Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Thanks see you there!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

dcam wrote: »
    Thanks see you there!:D

Yay! UCC! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Congratulations to all those that got in to medicine this year! I unfortunately just missed it because of the hpat! I need to improve by about 15 points from my previous score and I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on how best to achieve this. I have taken up a course already and plan to do this for a year. Any tips on how or when to study would be appreciated. Also would you guys recommend a course?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Izymunz wrote: »
    Congratulations to all those that got in to medicine this year! I unfortunately just missed it because of the hpat! I need to improve by about 15 points from my previous score and I was wondering if anyone would be able to advise me on how best to achieve this. I have taken up a course already and plan to do this for a year. Any tips on how or when to study would be appreciated. Also would you guys recommend a course?
    Thanks.

M3dentry seems to be the best one going, but also quite expensive. Seems like of the people that get in, most will have done m3dentry. I went from 173 to 192 this year with 2-3 months of intense prep, didn't touch a drink for the whole time.

I also did lots of speed puzzles like soduku to improve my processing speed, and downloaded some speed reading programs.

ALWAYS do practise material under exam conditions, using the time your supposed to have allotted. Timing is the real key to scoring highly and you need to be strict with yourself from the very start.

Most important thing I think: I spent the majority of my hpat study time analysing where practise exams/drills went wrong and working on strategies for the question types I struggled with, and I feel it really payed off.

Be smart with your study, focus on what you can improve most, and do give it your all without getting stressed out (easier said than done but stress will tire your brain and will really hurt your performance on the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

DrShredded wrote: »
    When do you have to choose between the 5 and 6 year courses?
    +
    Do many Irish people do the 'Foundation Year' (premed) in RCSI
    or can anyone tell me if its worth it. thanks

Cool username bro...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DrShredded

jos360 wrote: »
    Cool username bro...

Rager....just cause i got it before ya

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

I think there is a hpat 2013 page witch might be more usefull

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Inspired171

Okay I have been torturing my family, bf, etc. with my dilemma but you guys are going through the same thing so maybe you have some advice :)

Aiming for medicine, my sister is in 3rd med in UCD. I just did the leaving (for the first time), got 580 points, including the bonus maths points. Got 169 in the HPAT, 67th percentile. This leaves me with 725 in total, 12 points off gtown.

My options are:
    1. to repeat both leaving and hpat, in the hope that I can push my 4 a2s to a1s, and increase my hpat score by 15+.
    2. To take my 6th choice (Biomed in UCD) and repeat the HPAT, hoping to God I can come up by, like, 20 points.
    3. To take a year out and just concentrate on HPAT prep.

Has anyone been/ is anyone in a similar situation? If I was nowhere near getting it, I would just take my other choice and forget medicine. It's because I'm so near that I feel like I should keep trying.
    Is it possible to go up by alot of points in the 2nd HPAT attempt?
    Is there any point repeating for 9 measly points in the LC?
    Should I take Biomed to heck?!

Any suggestions/advice/testimonials/ similar stories would be so so much appreciated!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Okay I have been torturing my family, bf, etc. with my dilemma but you guys are going through the same thing so maybe you have some advice :)

Aiming for medicine, my sister is in 3rd med in UCD. I just did the leaving (for the first time), got 580 points, including the bonus maths points. Got 169 in the HPAT, 67th percentile. This leaves me with 725 in total, 12 points off gtown.

My options are:
    1. to repeat both leaving and hpat, in the hope that I can push my 4 a2s to a1s, and increase my hpat score by 15+.
    2. To take my 6th choice (Biomed in UCD) and repeat the HPAT, hoping to God I can come up by, like, 20 points.

Has anyone been/ is anyone in a similar situation? If I was nowhere near getting it, I would just take my other choice and forget medicine. It's because I'm so near that I feel like I should keep trying.

Any suggestions/advice/testimonials/ similar stories would be so so much appreciated!! :D

Ok if i was in your situation, I would probably go to college and do biomed. During this time i'd study smart and efficiently for the hpat. Devote a few minutes every day to doing questions and do plenty of practice tests under exam conditions. You can definitely improve on 169 a lot !!!! I'd also look at applying for medicine in the uk as another option but you'd have to look under the entry requirements to see if 4 A2S would cut it. If you do get medicine then next year i'm sure you are aware that you will be paying fees for your first year of medicine so that's something to think about.

If you didn't get in next year or decided to finish out biomed you'd be in a great position to do the gamsat provided you got a 2.1 in your biomed degree. I'd imagine biomed would cover alot of the material that's on the gamsat syllabus. Again just be aware that that graduate entry is an expensive option though with fees of up to 15000 a year for 4 years !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

speeding wrote: »
    If you do get medicine then next year i'm sure you are aware that you will be paying fees for your first year of medicine so that's something to think about.

If you successfully completed a year in biomed, you'd probably get an exemption from most if not all of Stage1 Medicine which would mean you stay on free fee status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Orange juice

My options are:

I am in that exact situation!! Fell 10 points short of medicine due to my HPAT so I'm taking biomed and doing my HPAT again next feb!
    With alot of study I hope I'll go up! It must be totally different doing it a second time without the pressure of leaving cert. and I was in the middle of my mocks last year when the HPAT was on!!
    Think someone already said it but by skipping pre-med you can avoid paying fees!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

I haven't been on this thread for a while but I must congratulate everyone who has got an offer to read Medicine this year, and to all you who have not, you still need congratulated for the amount of effort you put in, and it's not all over, even when you think it is, as I will show you...

Some of you may recognise my name from last year as I did the HPAT for the first time. Having missed out on offers in the UK, after a couple of interviews, I knew I was close and hoped one of the universities in Ireland would accept me. I had 4As at A-Level under my belt, one mark from an A* in one of the subjects as well. Then I got a score of 188 (89th percentile) in the HPAT. It sounded good to begin with. I was satisfied but when I counted it up, 728 didn't seem to be enough, so I waited to the rounds.

First round there was no luck. The second round was the same. But at the last round of offers, NUIG allowed one or more in on 728 by random selection, of which, I was not one. It was heartbreaking, to say the least. I got the points required but lost out by random selection. If felt like I was not cut out for Medicine, and that one extra mark at A-Level or one extra point in the HPAT would have got me a place.

I decided to take my 6th choice of Science at TCD. I had a fantastic year, passing all my exams with no problems, meeting loads of people and joining in many societies. I got to meet Eddie Jordan, attend talks from Rafa Benítez and Nancy Pelosi and many others.

I also decided to try the HPAT, one more time. I had done the most popular preparation course last year, which was expensive but was a benefit. Although I done little practice and time keeping, I had confidence. I got my results in Spring.

188. I got the exact same score. It was bittersweet. It was, what I feel, a great score but the same score as before. I knew I would be close again, but with the bonus points for Maths and the general trend of increasing points every year I was going to miss out, yet again. So I forgot about it and thought about graduate entry.

Zoom forward to last night. After coming back on holidays, I checked my email as usual, and couldn't believe my eyes. I had an offer from RCSI. Even though I had basically given up on undergraduate entry, a place was offered.

I now know to never give up.

However... I do not know if I will take the place. I really like Trinity and know I will enjoy the rest of the course. But at the same time I worked hard for Medicine, and now the door is open. I have many questions, mainly finance, though, such as:

How much will it cost to transfer over?
    Will I still get Free Fees?
    Can I skip pre-med due to my Science course and still get Free Fees
    What's student life in RCSI like?
    Should I complete my Science course and then do GEM?

I know the choice is mine but any help will be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. Apologies for the long post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Inspired171 - are you using someone else's account?

Your post history shows you did the Leaving and HPAT a number of years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

Crush525 wrote: »

you will have to pay for first year, whether is 8 or 9k i don't know.
    then free fees will kick in again.
    you will probably have to do the pre-med year, i certainyl don't think first year science will suffice.

screw student life, screw pubs, screw everything else. take this chance now, it will save you thousands in the long run if you elect to do GEM.

spurious wrote: »
    Inspired171 - are you using someone else's account?

Your post history shows you did the Leaving and HPAT a number of years ago.

On my sisters account! Is that ok?! :o didnt have time yet to make my own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

I haven't been on this thread for a while but I must congratulate everyone who has got an offer to read Medicine this year, and to all you who have not, you still need congratulated for the amount of effort you put in, and it's not all over, even when you think it is, as I will show you...

Some of you may recognise my name from last year as I did the HPAT for the first time. Having missed out on offers in the UK, after a couple of interviews, I knew I was close and hoped one of the universities in Ireland would accept me. I had 4As at A-Level under my belt, one mark from an A* in one of the subjects as well. Then I got a score of 188 (89th percentile) in the HPAT. It sounded good to begin with. I was satisfied but when I counted it up, 728 didn't seem to be enough, so I waited to the rounds.

First round there was no luck. The second round was the same. But at the last round of offers, NUIG allowed one or more in on 728 by random selection, of which, I was not one. It was heartbreaking, to say the least. I got the points required but lost out by random selection. If felt like I was not cut out for Medicine, and that one extra mark at A-Level or one extra point in the HPAT would have got me a place.

I decided to take my 6th choice of Science at TCD. I had a fantastic year, passing all my exams with no problems, meeting loads of people and joining in many societies. I got to meet Eddie Jordan, attend talks from Rafa Benítez and Nancy Pelosi and many others.

I also decided to try the HPAT, one more time. I had done the most popular preparation course last year, which was expensive but was a benefit. Although I done little practice and time keeping, I had confidence. I got my results in Spring.

188. I got the exact same score. It was bittersweet. It was, what I feel, a great score but the same score as before. I knew I would be close again, but with the bonus points for Maths and the general trend of increasing points every year I was going to miss out, yet again. So I forgot about it and thought about graduate entry.

Zoom forward to last night. After coming back on holidays, I checked my email as usual, and couldn't believe my eyes. I had an offer from RCSI. Even though I had basically given up on undergraduate entry, a place was offered.

I now know to never give up.

However... I do not know if I will take the place. I really like Trinity and know I will enjoy the rest of the course. But at the same time I worked hard for Medicine, and now the door is open. I have many questions, mainly finance, though, such as:

I know the choice is mine but any help will be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. Apologies for the long post.

First off big congratulations :-) !!! I've had quite a few misses over the years too :-p. Sorry cant answer your question about the fees. But what I would say is if medicine is what you want to do then do medicine !! GEM is a very expensive option similar to mature entry. Sounds like you have the heart set on medicine :-). See you in October if you do end up in RCSI !!

RCSI is a great college. My two friends studying there absolutely love the place and I'm sure you will too !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks for clearing that up, Inspired171.
    We get a lot of timewasters here lying and spoofing.

Just a reminder to people - requests for people to join in 'offers' for hpat preparation courses will be deleted as spam from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

RCSI offers a 5 and 6 year programme - most Irish undergrads seem to get offered the 5 year programme to my knowledge and so effectively skip pre-med - I'm not sure though when this differentiation is made. Maybe give the college a call on this?

My options are:

I am in that exact situation!! Fell 10 points short of medicine due to my HPAT so I'm taking biomed and doing my HPAT again next feb!
    With alot of study I hope I'll go up! It must be totally different doing it a second time without the pressure of leaving cert. and I was in the middle of my mocks last year when the HPAT was on!!
    Think someone already said it but by skipping pre-med you can avoid paying fees!! :D

Thank God there's someone in my boat :D
    Would mind telling me your lc and hpat score so I have an idea?! If you don't feel comfy doing it that's fine! I am so tempted to take biomed (biomed buddied :P) bur so afraid I'll miss out next year by a handful of points!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

I got a different TCD student number to my CAO number, does anyone know if this is normal as i had the same one as my CAO number last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

spasmaster wrote: »
    I got a different TCD student number to my CAO number, does anyone know if this is normal as i had the same one as my CAO number last year?
    Same, even though my TCD student number starts with 12300*** just like my CAO, the last few digits arent the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

spasmaster wrote: »

Mine's different to my CAO number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

In the email from trinity my student number is my cao number from last year, not the cao number from this year if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

From this year on, Trinity is giving new student numbers different from your CAO number (as was the case up to now). They're keeping the first two year digits, the third digit indicates what kind of applicant you are (Irish LC, A levels, international, mature, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Hey Guys, is there a book I can prep for HPAT?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Yeovil247

Yeah you can get sample papers off the actual website.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

When do we find out if we're eligible to skip premed?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 jammiedodge

Anyone else here on 736 and hoping desperately for a second round offer?
    Could someone please confirm for me if there's an asterisk in front of the 737 for nuig, or if everyone on 737 got in.
    I'm away at the moment and haven't been able to purchase the irish times supplement. is there any website where the list of cao points for each course is displayed?

Advertisement