Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper security

Options
  • 23-07-2009 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭

Is there anything to be got that can secure a camper when its parked up? Like wheel clamps or something along those lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Not that I am aware of (but I stand to be corrected) other than only park in locations that you feel happy about. Basically, if you wouldnt park your car there, dont park your van there ;)

I have a "fammia" security lock on the habitation door and I lock that if I am leaving the van unattended. Obviously I lock the cab doors too.

Other than that, I see the van as being a van.......I dont apply any extra security measures to my car when I park it up

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thats what I was thinking. My old lad is getting paranoid. his caravan was stolen from the yard a few weeks back, and he's caught knackers in around looking at the camper too

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

You can get wheel clamps alright. Sometimes Aldi / Lidl sell them, but this is a link to just one site - http://www.outdoorbits.com/security-safety-c-5.html.

Shop around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

You can get a wheel clamp in most caravan suppliers, Halfords and any good motor factors. I have no idea how good they are.

For real peace of mind the only thing I can recommend is a satellite tracker. This should give you a reduction on your insurance premium too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

it's easy to get into alot of the van cab doors.

I have fitteed HeoSafe internal cab door locks. Basically a little bar that goes across with a key/lock. Means you have to get in to unlock them. They are a nice neat fit too.

You could also consider disabling the engine somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello Lads,of both genders of course,I have an outside security lock on the camper door, together with a double deadlock (extra) and of course it's own original lock. I also have an engine immobiliser and a stout chain which I run between both cab door handles on the inside and lock with a good padlock. I do also carry a wheel clamp but to date have never used it. Hope that's a bit of a help.............................................b:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

In the cab I run a wire cable (like a computer lock) from one door handle to the other and lock it, then exit the habitation door where I have a fiamma lock.
    I had a Phantom tracker device but costs a few hundred and another €100ish per year for the service. This is a cheaper version available from maplin.
    There's no guaranteed system as can be seen here where a caravan with all the protection was stolen in broad daylight.

Advertisement