Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sprinter v iveco v vw lt v transit jumbo

Options
  • 17-07-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

hello people
    ive had this itch the last few years to get a van and convert it but now im just about to do it
    ,im thinking of one of the above does any one have pros or cons
    ive about 3000 euro to spend ive been looking on autotrader.co.uk and it seems i,ll get more for my money in the uk with vrt being 50 euro im hoping for 01 or 02 ish
    im fairly handy so im thinking i should get out of the conversion for another 3000 ish over the space of 6 months
    heres the thing its going to be an every day van for work all i need to cart around is tools ,so im going to use the back door as a shed and slider into living area ,
    the shed needs to fit a motorbike and the living area needs to sleep my self my wife and 3 year old son
    is this possible
    has any one any ideas or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

can i keep it comercial because i,ll have the shed on the back kinda like a crewcab van ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

To be brutally honest with you, buying any of those vans at that kinda money is only taking on someone elses problems.

Going to be careful here (Hi P), The Iveco is reliable enough engine/gearbox wise but god help you if you have to put torsion bar bushes into it.

Sprinter, for that kind of money you are talking a high mileage yoke. They are well able for it but if something goes wrong, you wouldnt see 1000 on many parts. For example, if the immobilser unit packs in it has to be ordered from germany specific to you chassis number.

LT, I would say more local indy mechanic friendly to work on. Watch out, people hate changing the back timing belt as it is awkward and wont wreck the engine if it breaks, HOWEVER, it can be a right pig to set back up afterwards. LT's for some reason rust more than the sprinters even though the bodies are identical

Transit... mechanically fantastic, go forever but by jaysus do the rot..

Personally I would go for the sprinter but then the devil ya know and all that...

/Jaysus, I'm a picture of doom and gloom

good food for taught there alright thanks for that, im a little swayed toward the sprinter myself, im thinking somewhere between 100k and 140k miles for that money
    i supose i,ll be taking a gamble really for 3 grand but unfortunatly that my limit i could possibly go another 500 but defo not more

can anyone tell me would this be classed as a van or a bus http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/vans_popup.jsp?searchform=&lid=search_used_vans_full&photo=1&state=%27%27&sort=&make=Mercedes-benz&min_pr=3000&source=0&model=sprinter&max_pr=4000&keywords=&agerange=3&miles=1500&mileage=0&postcode=l4+7tt&ukvansearch_full.x=25&ukvansearch_full.y=5&ukvansearch_full=SEARCH&start=7&distance=125&adcategory=COMM&channel=VANS&id=200929337932293

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

That would be a bus.

Anything over 8 seats is classed as a bus in this country.

The 311 is a little underpowered really. Go for a 313 if you are.

Irish spec is actually better than UK spec with most in this country getting leccie windows, abs, traction (and the ability to turn it off) and a better radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

If you are looking to pay only 50 quid VRT then it will have to weigh 3000kg EMPTY. None of these in standard form weigh that AFAIK. Check this out first.

Might be better to look around Ireland, some great bargains in vans at the moment. I had the same set up as you, sleeping for 4, space for 2 motorbikes ( or 3 at a squash) but I used a Mercedes 609. Ypu could also try a Luton body with this space is no problem.

If the 609 is too big (you might need a C licence) , consider a Merc 207-410, only difference is they are a fair bit slower.

We had a 04 and 05 Renault Master, brilliant vans better than Transits or Sprinters but they are FWD.

• Advertisement

bijapos wrote: »
    If you are looking to pay only 50 quid VRT then it will have to weigh 3000kg EMPTY. None of these in standard form weigh that AFAIK. Check this out first.

i cant find a definative answer on this on line does anyone know for sure

i,ll ring the vro tomorrow

i cant find and weights for these sprinters online either im usless at the internet :D

the luton body is gonna be just two big for me as its going to be my everyday vehicle
    thanks for your input

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

It's transit for me all the way...

But I may be a little biased as I've just retired my 1990 transit camper conversion..

Transits just go FOREVER... mine is on 3rd round of the clock and never really had major problems with rust but I did mind it well

when something does go wrong parts are Very Very cheap and general serive parts you might as well get from the main dealer as they are similar price to motorfactors...

Try buying some parts for the sprinter :eek:

looks like i,ll be going for an iveco daily the best i can find for the money i have
    this is going to be my everyday transport for a while ,does any one know if i can keep it classed as commercial ,insurance ect tax ,while the conversion is going on
    it,ll take 6 months at a guess ,but im going to have a large garage at the back for my tools for work

Advertisement