Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dishwasher problems

Options
  • 17-07-2011 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have a PowerPoint dishwasher model IDW12, put in about 2 years ago but never used. Maybe 10 times in 2 years. I tried to use it about a month ago and when I set a wash it goes for about an hour-1 1/2 hours, then it beeps for about 20 times and when I open it says E3

There would be a build up of water in the bottom, cleared out the drain etc from inside the dishwasher but still didnt work so I didnt bother with it

Now when I turn it on, sounds like it is washing, then after about a min it starts this buzzing which gets louder and louder till I just turn if off, no water in dishwasher but I have checked and water going to it

First is this fixable?
    or am I better just going out and replacing with a new one? and never buy Powerpoint again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have a PowerPoint dishwasher model IDW12, put in about 2 years ago but never used. Maybe 10 times in 2 years. I tried to use it about a month ago and when I set a wash it goes for about an hour-1 1/2 hours, then it beeps for about 20 times and when I open it says E3

There would be a build up of water in the bottom, cleared out the drain etc from inside the dishwasher but still didnt work so I didnt bother with it

Now when I turn it on, sounds like it is washing, then after about a min it starts this buzzing which gets louder and louder till I just turn if off, no water in dishwasher but I have checked and water going to it

First is this fixable?
    or am I better just going out and replacing with a new one? and never buy Powerpoint again

Don't have the manual so I don't know whar the error code 'E3' is for.

From what you describe I would suspect a problem with the pump. It is possible that something has gotten past the screen on the bottom and is stopping the pump impellers from turning. See if a spoon or something is stuck. If you can saok up the water, and pull the unit out you might be able to feel the flexi pipe going into the pump to see if there is a foreign object stuck in it. This happened to me eons ago with an older machine.

I have a new NEFF unit now, and it is totally sealed and so my days of Dishwasher DIY are long gone (biggest heap of scrap I ever bought, the NEFF that it, but that's for another day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

youtheman wrote: »
    Don't have the manual so I don't know whar the error code 'E3' is for.

From what you describe I would suspect a problem with the pump. It is possible that something has gotten past the screen on the bottom and is stopping the pump impellers from turning. See if a spoon or something is stuck. If you can saok up the water, and pull the unit out you might be able to feel the flexi pipe going into the pump to see if there is a foreign object stuck in it. This happened to me eons ago with an older machine.

I have a new NEFF unit now, and it is totally sealed and so my days of Dishwasher DIY are long gone (biggest heap of scrap I ever bought, the NEFF that it, but that's for another day).

Looked at that but nothing in there, it is built into a kitchen and just wondering how easy it is to pull them out to have a look underneath?

If they are 'built in' then you have to remove the plinth at the bottom (running across all units), then you need to check around the edge to see if it is secured by screws to the surrounding cabinets. They you just 'gently' give it a pull and you'll know straight await if it free to come. Hopefully the supply hose and power lead are long enough so that you can get it completely out before you have to disconnect.

Some of those dishwasher pumps are very simple and you can remove a few screws to take to cover off and expose the impellers. This will give you a good indication if there is something blocking the pump.

youtheman wrote: »
    If they are 'built in' then you have to remove the plinth at the bottom (running across all units), then you need to check around the edge to see if it is secured by screws to the surrounding cabinets. They you just 'gently' give it a pull and you'll know straight await if it free to come. Hopefully the supply hose and power lead are long enough so that you can get it completely out before you have to disconnect.

Some of those dishwasher pumps are very simple and you can remove a few screws to take to cover off and expose the impellers. This will give you a good indication if there is something blocking the pump.

Hey, done all that, gave it a pull and tried to move and not a budge, can't see any other screws, it can't be that heavy can it? leads/power supply etc are not pulling it back either.

You need to look at the feet first and see if they are hard up against a tile edge (or something like that). When you are giving it a pull you should first try pull it straight out, if this fails they try lift the front edge and then try it. Or if this fails see if you can wind the front feet in a little and see if this works (it might be 'jacked' up against the countertop).

If it is not screwed to the adjoining cabinet at the front edge then it just needs to be loosened from whatever it is sticking to. A good 'tug', just the right amount of effort (and not too much).

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey, done all that, gave it a pull and tried to move and not a budge, can't see any other screws, it can't be that heavy can it? leads/power supply etc are not pulling it back either.

ahh worked it out, had to drop the little legs down a bit with spanner and pulled out then, now need to look at pump with mydate if I electrocute myself or if there is a power loss in D15 you know what the issue was, or I could just plug it out first:D but that is madness:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

from the service manual

fault code E3

A - if the heating element is still heating after the allowed time ,then the control board will advance the programme to the next step and at the end of the cycle the alarm buzzer will sound for 30 sec and the display will show E3

B-when the control board detects that the heating element is operating during a non heating step or during the internal test the heating circuit is found to be open circuit then the alarm buzzer will sound for for 30 sec and the control board will cease all functions except for the drain cycle which will run for 90 secs and then E3 will be displayed on the control panel

sounds like yours ?

its my experience of these generic models that the stat is rubbish and pops (dodgy calibration of the pressure switch ) this would cause the heater to continue or go o/c -like the symtoms in yours

knighted_1 wrote: »
    from the service manual

fault code E3

A - if the heating element is still heating after the allowed time ,then the control board will advance the programme to the next step and at the end of the cycle the alarm buzzer will sound for 30 sec and the display will show E3

B-when the control board detects that the heating element is operating during a non heating step or during the internal test the heating circuit is found to be open circuit then the alarm buzzer will sound for for 30 sec and the control board will cease all functions except for the drain cycle which will run for 90 secs and then E3 will be displayed on the control panel

sounds like yours ?

its my experience of these generic models that the stat is rubbish and pops (dodgy calibration of the pressure switch ) this would cause the heater to continue or go o/c -like the symtoms in yours

Sounds like mine alright, got it out and had a look underneath, can't see much wrong, blocked etc. Tried to washer again and it brings in water, after about a minute in its starts making that massive buzzing noise. I think either the pump or washer itself is busted. Any idea's? have a guy coming around for 30 quid but I think it will be a waste and just better to buy a new dishwasher.......does anyone have idea's? dont even get to the error anymore

yes as stated it seems the thermostat is bust - get him to check it with a multimeter

make sure he puts it into diagnostic mode and ask what E3 code means -if he tells you any thing different from above then he doesnt know what he doing

yes as stated it seems the thermostat is bust - get him to check it with a multimeter

make sure he puts it into diagnostic mode and ask what E3 code means -if he tells you any thing different from above then he doesnt know what he doing

How much would thermostat cost?

• Advertisement

about 25 euros -but needs to be diagnosed properly as it can and normally is connected to the calibration of the pressure switch

whats puzzling me is that your getting a callout for 30 euros -normally these lads just show up dont run thru test proceedures tell you its buggarred or that it costs 300 quid to fix and take a call out charge off you -

they are a cheap chinese machine which will cause you no end of trouble

about 25 euros -but needs to be diagnosed properly as it can and normally is connected to the calibration of the pressure switch

whats puzzling me is that your getting a callout for 30 euros -normally these lads just show up dont run thru test proceedures tell you its buggarred or that it costs 300 quid to fix and take a call out charge off you -

they are a cheap chinese machine which will cause you no end of trouble

Havent a clue, this is a guy a friend know, last time he called out to him, charged him 30 quid but just told him washing machine was fcuked

Yeah I have found out these washing machines are a piece of sh*t. I am more or less wondering if it would be worth my while cutting my losses and just going and buying a new one.

I used to have a beko one years ago and it was great, seen one for 250 yesterday with Powercity

beko are fairly decent at the moment and a great buy at that price -
    cut your losses -

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Caragra

how do you clean the dishwasher using finish cleaner? Thanks

Advertisement