Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water thermostat or element not working

Options
  • 27-07-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I had an issue with the element/thermostat in my hot water system about 6 months ago and had the unit replaced due to corrosion from hard water. The trip switch on the fuse box kept going up. This time, the trip switch on the board, or any of them for that mater are remaining on, but the hot water is not working. The timer switch seems to be working, but the actual light is not engaging either when manually switched on or with the timer. What could the problem be this time, wiring or is it the element once again? The bath was used recently, but that would hardly have taxed the system beyond its limits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Probably the timer switch is gone, but are you sure the trip switch is not halfway down? flick it down and up just to be sure.

If you are confident about it, take off the cover from the immersion, and inspect the wiring. If any of the wires are loose, they probably will have blackened ends. Same for the timer switch.

Also try rotating the dials on the thermostat while listening for a click sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

thanks for your reply whizbang. The dial does click on the timer when it engages a setting. I will look at the trip switch tomorrow. If it is only a timer switch, I will be happy enough, but I would be pisssed if it is the element again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What make is the timer op?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

apt is the make of the timer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

It would come as no suprise if you have time failure. APT are not called A Poor Timer for no reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

A multimeter will tell you pretty quickly what is happening.

You either have or dont have 230V at the element.

If you dont well you should, so a problem with the timer.

If you do, then either the element is gone or you could have a problem with the stat in the element.

You should have a resistance value for both elements, bath and sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hardwater

Without opening anything, you could switch between sink and bath to begin with. Then you maybe can isolate if neither or one elements are working (should hear fizzing when element is heating).

I agree 100% with froshtyv on the voltage at the element terminals - if it's not there, you need to trace back. If it IS there, the element is suspect.
    My element overheats occasionally (due to the thick limescale coating it has) and has a reset button under the cap (danger - live electricity in there) that I have to press every couple of months. It might be as simple as that for you.

I am reluctant to replace the element until I have to, as the cylinder is slightly creased where it has been botched in.

Good luck with it.
    /hardwater.

The CER wants your submissions on cer.ie/document-detail/CER-Water-Charges-Plan-Consultation/979
    As expected, they have different tariffs for "Not-for-human-consumption-water" and "Water".

We say that "Hard Water" is a substantially different product, and thus should attract a different tariff.

Please mail waterchargesplan at cer.ie with your polite and to-the-point submissions (NB all submissions will be published unless marked otherwise!)

Consider the extra costs you incur with "Hard Water" over "Water", or "Hard Not-for-human-consumption-water" over "Not-for-human-consumption-water". It is clear that the Hard Water products is substantially less valuable to the consumer than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

If the element is faulty it will trip the breaker. If it's not heating up there could be a loose connection on the timer or as posted a faulty timer, a faulty or loose connection on the immersion switch it's self or a faulty thermostat in the immersion group it's self.

Advertisement