Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booming noise from cistern when filled

Options
  • 27-07-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hope ye can help me.
    When the toilet is flushed there is a single bang like a boom pressure sound when it has refilled.
    I have attached photos which may help.
    Any ideas?
    Is there a pressure valve where I can reduce the inlet pressure to solve the problem or could it be something else?

Regards,

Kieran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kmb wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope ye can help me.
    When the toilet is flushed there is a single bang like a boom pressure sound when it has refilled.
    I have attached photos which may help.
    Any ideas?
    Is there a pressure valve where I can reduce the inlet pressure to solve the problem or could it be something else?

Regards,

Kieran

Has it always made this noise or is it something new? Is the toilet upstairs or downstairs? Is it an apartment with a pump for all the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi Sleeper12,
    It started about 3 weeks ago and the first time I twisted the ring on the push button to slacken the tension and this sorted it for awhile.
    It is standard low pressure system without pump.
    Bathroom is upstairs and the Noken toilet has been in for 20 months.
    This does not have any external pipes as the water pipes are within the base under the tiles.
    If you turn on the sink cold water it lessens the boom so this makes me think that it is pressure related.
    It is a semi detached house.

Any ideas?

Hi Sleeper12,
    It started about 3 weeks ago and the first time I twisted the ring on the push button to slacken the tension and this sorted it for awhile.
    It is standard low pressure system without pump.
    Bathroom is upstairs and the Noken toilet has been in for 20 months.
    This does not have any external pipes as the water pipes are within the base under the tiles.
    If you turn on the sink cold water it lessens the boom so this makes me think that it is pressure related.
    It is a semi detached house.

Any ideas?

It's definitely the filler valve. If it was me I'd just replace it. You can get a good quality one for around €20 in a good plumbers trade counter. Or you should get a plumber to supply & fit one for around €100

Thanks for coming back to me.
    Will I need to dismantle the close coupled system to do this?
    I presume that this is the part on the left hand side?
    Are they a standard fitting or will I need to identify my current unit to get a matching unit?

Thanks for coming back to me.
    Will I need to dismantle the close coupled system to do this?
    I presume that this is the part on the left hand side?
    Are they a standard fitting or will I need to identify my current unit to get a matching unit?

They are standard size. All you need to know is if it's a bottom entry or side entry.

• Advertisement

Damn,
    That means dismantling the close couple toilet.
    Would it would be worth trying to put a ball valve just below the water tank in the attic?
    Take the pressure off this way?

Damn,
    That means dismantling the close couple toilet.
    Would it would be worth trying to put a ball valve just below the water tank in the attic?
    Take the pressure off this way?

You only have a quarter bar of pressure from the attic to the toilet. The problem is with the filler valve.

You should only have to take apart the close coupled toilet if you were changing the syphon. But you are changing the filler valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you can, take a picture of your pan and cistern side on, showing the side that the filling valve is on.

Mine is similar to the attached photo with all the pipework hidden.
    Base is screwed to anchors on the floor.

Regards

Mine is similar to the attached photo with all the pipework hidden.
    Base is screwed to anchors on the floor.

Regards

Id suggest that you get a plumber on this one. The whole toilet needs to be removed. They can be tricky to refit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement