Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound of a Lighthouse off my cistern

• 18-07-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

What's happening? Its a press button cistern and when it finishes filling with water it bellows the sound of a fog horn.

What gives with that??

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You might need a new filler valve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You might need a new filler valve.

"BALL COCK"

scudo2 wrote: »
    "BALL COCK"

You callin me names?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

But the Fluid Master has no Balls!

Calm down everybody.
    You need to reduce the pressure.

OP./ Vic

As the guys said, you need to replace filling valve, which use to be called a BALL COCK in the old toilets. Not a politicaly correct word now.
    Also their affected if off the mains or high pressure water pumps and sometimes require a pressure reducer.
    Its a simple attachment that comes with the filling valve. Your plumber will know.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Apologies, our resident plumbers revert to 12 year olds whenever possible, especially with 4 letter anatomical words.

DGOBS wrote: »
    Apologies, our resident plumbers revert to 12 year olds whenever possible, especially with 4 letter anatomical words.

In fairness some of us can't spell more than 4 letters at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No money for plumber can I do this myself, not the worst at DIY, easy job? Or....?

Thanks

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In fairness some of us can't spell more than 4 letters at a time.

C A S H

vicwatson wrote: »
    No money for plumber can I do this myself, not the worst at DIY, easy job? Or....?

Thanks

Is it possible to post a picture of the wc cistern internals to see what set up you have and we will do our best to help out.

• Advertisement

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Is it possible to post a picture of the wc cistern internals to see what set up you have and we will do our best to help out.

Thanks a million, I'll get a pic up later today.

Tried posting the picture but the image is massive when I post it here, here is the link to it

http://imgur.com/KKfHuKD

Tried posting the picture but the image is massive when I post it here, here is the link to it

http://imgur.com/KKfHuKD

Its possible that the diaphragm behind the larger nut at the top of the valve needs to be changed. This will involve turning off the water supply and carefully taking things apart and putting them back together again.
    Alternatively, you could change out the complete valve with a fluidmaster filling valve and the job would be more successful.

That's the valve on the right of the picture? That holds the arm and ball up?

Is this what I need? http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/toilet-fill-valves-toilet-parts/toilet-fill-valve.html

And does that get rid of the arm and ball then?

Questions questions, thanks for help

That's the valve on the right of the picture? That holds the arm and ball up?

Is this what I need? http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-products/toilet-fill-valves-toilet-parts/toilet-fill-valve.html

And does that get rid of the arm and ball then?

Questions questions, thanks for help

No problem, the answer is Yes to all of your questions.
    To be honest I rarely fit any other valve into a cistern.
    When you go to buy one it is worth the trouble of getting the one with the brass shank (model number "Pro45B") less chance of cross threading and its much stronger than the plastic version.
    Hope that helps you out.

When you go to buy one it is worth the trouble of getting the one with the brass shank (model number "Pro45B") less chance of cross threading and its much stronger than the plastic version.
    Hope that helps you out.

I use Torbec but looks exactly the same.

I've had too many problems with Torbec, even brand new ones, never had a call back with FluidMaster. (Yet)

Hope that helps you out.

Is this is the one I need with the brass shank? -

Will this work ok for a cistern where the flush buttons are on top built into the cistern lid?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-brass-shank-bottom-entry-fill-valve/47792#

Is this the cheapest/best place to buy it online? Delivery costs Stg 20.00 with this company (total cost stg 35.00), maybe it's cheaper to buy locally, what can I expect to pay?

Thanks again it's very much appreciated, I'm sort of making this a challenge for myself now. Thanks to the fitter there is no on/off tap on the water supply pipe so have to know off the water at the entry point to the house and drain it:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-brass-shank-bottom-entry-fill-valve/47792#

Is this the cheapest/best place to buy it online? Delivery costs Stg 20.00 with this company (total cost stg 35.00), maybe it's cheaper to buy locally, what can I expect to pay?

Thanks again it's very much appreciated, I'm sort of making this a challenge for myself now. Thanks to the fitter there is no on/off tap on the water supply pipe so have to know off the water at the entry point to the house and drain it:(

Use parcelmotel for the delivery @ 4 euro :):)

Thanks but would prefer to buy locally i.e. Ireland online

In anyhow I think that Stg 20.00 is for delivery to UK anyway :eek:

• Advertisement

Will this work ok for a cistern where the flush buttons are on top built into the cistern lid?

Thats the one all right. What part of the country are you located, it certainly won't cost you the equivalent of £30.00 here.
    There should be a valve in the hot press to turn off the supply, unless its mains water fed, then just turn of the main water valve.

Feckin Jacks's !! I'm now having a problem with another toilet in that although it will fill, it's taking about 24 hours to do so. Used to be fine and this just started happening, anyone know what the problem might be here? Thanks in advance

Advertisement