Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Riot Club

Options
  • 20-09-2014 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I seen this yesterday. Don't know what I think, the second half of the movie is quite compelling to watch. But before that and after, its posh people talking ****e(which I know was the point but still), a cast of character who apart from our main guy and his girlfriend, and those with slightly different accents, I couldn't tell who was meant to be who, and the fact theres not a single really like-able character in the whole thing. Again, maybe thats the point, but a good movie it does not make it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Looks like it's just an exagerration of David Cameron and Boris Johnson's college days with a bit of The Hole thrown in. It's probably aimed at tweeny American girls who were watching "Mary Kate and Ashley go to Paris" two years ago and have graduated to something a bit darker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I thought the trailer for this looked well. Was gonna go to see it tomorrow night!

Will report back ! Looks similar to "the skulls" etc just without the obvious murderous subplot maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The Play Posh is a great piece of writing that had to be expanded out for a film and it does effect it somewhat, especially political and class system side of things although it's addressed somewhat here it's numbed down a little.

That's not to say it's not a good film, it's very good. Sam Claflin is head and above the best thing in the film. Alistair is a dislikeable snobbish spolit brat and you see his anger boiling from that first scene in the room his parents set him up with cause his older brother stayed there to the Mugging to the
    Brutal attack on the owner of the bar
    . Great performance that shows he's got the acting chops. Max Irons does a good job with the least interesting role of Miles although his character is dislikeable but just not as hateable as the rest of them.

Holliday Grainger is given the only really meaty female role in the film, although in the play her character is only mentioned not seen but I suppose it was written in to make Max Iron's Miles at least likeable. She does the best with a slightly underwritten role. Jessica Brown Findlay is seriously dented by this as her character in the play is the one
    Who's sexually assaulted
    so that's that scene gone meaning her character has no purpose just to tut at the snobs and to comfort her dad
    in the hospital bed

That
    Beat down of the bar owner was pretty brutal
    and made the whole audience I was with squirm in their seats. Cause it was all jokes and fun before that then the uncomfortable silence. Loved the slimy cameo from the brilliant Tom Hollander and the ending is depressing cause you just know it's even happening now. I liked this film a lot although the play is ten times more powerful.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This felt very much like a film of two halves to me. The first half is more concerned with satirising the Oxbridge elite (and it does so quite well, although a touch more subtlety wouldn't have gone amiss), but then it shifts into being a morality play that is neither sophisticated enough nor shocking enough to really hit home. Ultimately it felt a bit too much like a story about the perils of playing the hedonist, only with a very bland and classist sort of notion of what hedonism is. Comparing the antics of the Riot Club to the exploits of the protagonists in Spring Breakers, for example, or Jordan Belfort and his cronies in Wolf of Wall Street, I'm left feeling that these are ten unimaginative idiot boys trying to convince themselves and each other that they know how to have fun, which dulls the impact of the third act significantly.

I suspect that a more interesting story would have focused more on
    Alistair and the legacy of similar sociopaths who have been past members of the club and look out for one another.

Advertisement