Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under The Skin (Jonathan Glazer)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well, this is where we'll just have to disagree and I bow out of the thread. I just found the majority of the film to be boring and pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

"Boring" I'll grant you because that's your response but I resent how the word "pretentious" is thrown around willynilly just because something happens to be done in a unique way. Happens far too often and people generally use it to shut out conversation, that's a discussion for another day though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I thought this was extremely boring with little or nothing happening on screen a lot of the time. I understand that a 'mood' was being set and there was an arty side to the movie but it just felt stretched out with to many scenes lasting a lot longer than need be.

The dark night rises......Yeah you can't compare.

That was even better on the second watch. What a film.

The soundtrack is just brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I thought this was extremely boring with little or nothing happening on screen a lot of the time. I understand that a 'mood' was being set and there was an arty side to the movie but it just felt stretched out with to many scenes lasting a lot longer than need be.

I have a high tolerance for 'arty' cinema, but I would have to agree with this. Some nice imagery, and the soundtrack was good, but just too slow-moving, drawn out and tedious for me. Can't believe there was a 'written by' credit at the end - from what I could see there was no plot!

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I have a high tolerance for 'arty' cinema,
    I really have to question that if you found Under the Skin of all films too slow. It's a walk in the park compared to some films of the past few years.
    bogmanfan wrote: »
    Can't believe there was a 'written by' credit at the end - from what I could see there was no plot!
    Every scene has a purpose and contributes something in terms of story, theme and character. There's a very clear line of events to the film to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

e_e wrote: »
    I really have to question that if you found Under the Skin of all films too slow. It's a walk in the park compared to some films of the past few years.

Every scene has a purpose and contributes something in terms of story, theme and character. There's a very clear line of events to the film to me.

I don't think it's a difficult watch, just a boring one. I've seen plenty of experimental/challenging movies - Uncle Boonmee, Enter the Void, Cremaster Cycle - but none of them were as boring as this.

It's not just that it's slow moving, but the slow pace didn't add anything in terms of atmosphere in my opinion. An example of a relatively slow-moving film that really worked for me was Blue Ruin, where the slower pacing really helped to ratchet up the tension. For me, there was no tension in Under The Skin after
    the first 'kill'
    . Long takes focusing on Scarlett's (admittedly lovely) face, or the road ahead as the van drives along, just left me bored rather than intrigued to be honest.

I actually admire Jonathan Glazer (and Scarlett Johansson) for doing something different, and making the film they wanted to make. It's just not the film I wanted to see.

Wow to me Uncle Boonmee is more "hardcore" arthouse. I absolutely love that film but don't we get such scenes as a 3 minute shot of a guy lying in a hammock? Not much plot to speak of there either.

Fair enough otherwise though, all I can say is that the lingering over human behavior as well as the landscapes were perfect in acclimating you to the alien's point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Just saw this once again after not seen it since it's cinema release but it's even better second time round. Jonathan Glazer films can never be digested in one sitting, just like Sexy Beast and Birth they need viewing after viewing to fully enjoy them, that's what I love about a good challenging film.

First off Scarlett Johansson performance is a thing of beauty, how many in her A-list position would go all out and make a Art House alien film set in Scotland were she doesn't speak for half the film, gets naked ( I think this is her first time appearing nude on screen, most studios would have paid her millions for that right). But it's probably her best performance to date and go down as one of her greatest films. The soundtrack by Mica Levi is one of scariest but most beautiful I've heard in a long while and Daniel Landin's Cinematography is amazing to look at. The scene's on the Beach and Lair where the alien brings her victims will go down as some of the most haunting scenes in cinema.

I think a perfect Double bill would be Nic Roeg's classic The Man who Fell to Earth and Under the Skin both have the same feel and beauty to them. The special features on DVD when the crew discuss each part of the filming of Under the Skin is worth watching. It's going to be high up in my film of the year list for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God, nope, I found this film to be intangible to the point of being vaporous; there were slim pickings and the merest hint of narrative, surrounded by (admittedly) atmospheric padding. 'Candid Camera with Scarlett Johansson' would be a more apt description in my view. I had heard people talk highly about Johansson's performance in this, but honestly I struggled to spot one; certainly not an emotive performance. She alternated between two states: a blank, mildly bored expression as she drove through the duller parts of Scotland (been there, done that, her ennui couldn't have been that hard to channel) and idle chitchat with unwitting members of the public. As Arnold Schwarzenegger proved, anyone can play an emotionless robot; I think the work was being done behind the lens tbh, not in front of it. I wonder had the lead been played by someone less famous as Johansson, would the plaudits have come so readily? Is part of the trick that the public didn't realise they were talking to a star?

I have to agree with those who found it boring though; I didn't find the endless long takes particularly effective at highlighting any sense of 'alienness' either. Urban suburbia is like another planet? Yeah, I'm fairly sure that tale has been told many times before, just perhaps with a little less tedium and navel-gazing. To be fair, some of the visuals could be mesmerising, but too often it felt a bit like those failed comic punchlines where the gag kept going for a few critical seconds too many, the camera lingering after the laughter had died. And it wasn't simply that I yearned for more 'plot' - plenty of film I've enjoyed have had an ad-hoc or abstract structure - I just didn't think what was on-screen to be that compelling. All surface, no depth, as they say.

The scene at the beach was quite powerful, I'll give it that and was probably the only scene deserving of its length, but I suspect that was simply down to the primordial reaction of genuine discomfort at
    the toddler crying on the beach as the waves crept toward it

I wonder if this film will make cult status fairly soon, or has it already? It seems to me that the general public missed this entirely.

Easily the most memorable film I saw this year so far.

Just wanted to pop this in, my favourite track from the epic aural scape of the film. Levels of wonder and pure dread are intermingled by Mica Levi with such skill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Going to watch this on Netflix on a tablet tonight.

With all that has been said about the sound of the film and how important it is, would headphones be the way to go with the tablet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

God, don't waste the film watching it on a tablet! Its visuals demand a bigger screen than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can safely say this was the most boring wtf film I've watched in a long time...no make that ...ever. I guess I just didn't 'Get It'. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I love a good, deep film that can make me think, but this was arthouse **** at its most pretentious. I had to turn it off after 25 minutes.

It also has a user rating of one star out of five by Netflix viewers. Ive never seen anything on it ranked that low before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I love a good, deep film that can make me think, but this was arthouse **** at its most pretentious. I had to turn it off after 25 minutes.

It also has a user rating of one star out of five by Netflix viewers. Ive never seen anything on it ranked that low before

I loved it.

5* from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

White Chicks has a 4 star rating so what does that tell you?

How is it pretentious?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was going to say the exact same thing.

Can people not watch a movie and come to a conclusion that it simply wasn't for them? Why is there a need to calling something 'arthouse **** at its most pretentious' or sneerily say that they just 'didn't get it :rolleyes:'.

Under The Skin might not be perfect but I adored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

How is it pretentious?

Pretentious = I didn't understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Can people not watch a movie and come to a conclusion that it simply was "arthouse **** at its most pretentious"...in their opinion?

Pretentious = "I didn't understand it", sometimes. Sometimes, pretentious = pretentious!

I liked Under The Skin, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

One of the films of the year for me! Great performance from Scarlett fantastic soundtrack and brilliant visuals also the beach scene will haunt me for a very long time!
    I Love Glazer's work just hope he doesn't take as long to make his next film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Can people not watch a movie and come to a conclusion that it simply was "arthouse **** at its most pretentious"...in their opinion?

Pretentious = "I didn't understand it", sometimes. Sometimes, pretentious = pretentious!

I liked Under The Skin, by the way.
    They obviously can and will continue to so. Everyones entitled to their own opinion.

To me it just comes across as an extremely belligerent way of expressing dissatisfaction with a movie.

And it's no more or less antagonistic than the polar opposite 'anyone who doesn't understand or like this work of art is a dumb-ass!' opinion.

Excuse me for suggesting that it'd be nice to be part of a discussion that takes place somewhere between the two.

The problem with terms like "pretentious" and also "emperor's new clothes" is that it silences the discussion in an attempt to belittle others who see more in the film than they do. Any time I try to ask someone "oh why do you think that" when they throw the p word out it goes nowhere, as if it's a "get out of the conversation free" card to use. It's against what makes watching movies and discussing them so great imo. It shows a very flippant unwillingness to engage with both the movie and other people that irks me slightly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

It's presumably only up on Netflix a few months at best? Those ratings are close to meaningless with films like this (high profile non-mainstream stuff) for a few years even. Tree of Life has 6.7/10 on imdb from 100k+ reviews, Days of Heaven has 8/10 from 30k reviews, the additional 70k people there could largely be the kind of people who would've never considered going near it were they not made curious by all the reviews they were seeing for it everywhere around release time.

It clearly suits a cinema environment far more, I think it's mental to watch this one on Netflix tbh without some kind of drugs or something to keep me glued, if I didn't get to see it in cinema I'd've held off until it was on in some season at the IFI or summat. Film's a total knockout for me, 5 stars all the way, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone on netflix unless you've a great attention span and an amazing setup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem with terms like "pretentious" and also "emperor's new clothes" is that it silences the discussion in an attempt to belittle others who see more in the film than they do. [...]

To be fair, the terms, however overused, are no more belitting than claiming those who use them simply 'don't get it'. In its defence, it's probably a handily glib reduction for when when people might want to express a discomfort over the abstract or intangible, but can't quite home in on the why. Don't like the phrase myself, wish it wasn't used so much, but I'd try not to use it as a rod to beat those who do use it.

As it happens, I did get Under The Skin, but that's because there wasn't that much to 'get' in the first place imo; it didn't strike as anything more than the thinnest of narratives held together by cinematic navel-gazing, and some admittedly striking, if overlong shots. Scar-Jo driving around the duller parts of Glasgow, talking to the public candid-camera style, isn't all that riveting; her blank, bored expression can't have been hard to achieve.

Sure, I got a little voyeuristic enjoyment out of wondering if those talking to her even realised who she really was, but then that asks the question if the concept would have even worked with any other actor.

But even turning it into a game of "Yes, I got it." and "You clearly didn't get it!" is reductive of the film in itself, especially when the film is clearly ripe for great interpretation and analysis. It's ignoring the fact that the film in itself is very open and will be different things to different viewers.

I mean even your little summation of the film there is a world apart from the way I look at its form and content. It's not simply a matter of "Yay I got it and let's sneer at those who didn't!".

You shouldn't be asking "Did I get it?", rather "What did I get out of it?". It's not like the film is a puzzle to be solved and once it is it means the exact same thing to everyone. It's just not as black and white as that.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't be asking "Did I get it?", rather "What did I get out of it?". It's not like the film is a puzzle to be solved and once it is it means the exact same thing to everyone. It's just not as black and white as that.
    Well to be honest, with a film this abstract and hard to grasp, I'd argue that a puzzle is as good a description as anything else. Get, got or getting, I ultimately didn't make much of Under the Skin as any kind of experience, except for one of tedium.

If I did want to use a pat phrase, 'emperor's new clothes' seems more apt than others because beyond what were very rich visuals - and I'll definitely agree with most there, the film had a great eye at times - there was very, very little to grasp in the shape of a narrative or substance.

If I'm doubly truthful, I felt a tad irritated about the idea of sticking Johansson in a minvan and calling it cinema, art or what-have-you. I grew up with Mike Murphy or Jeremy Beadle pulling that stunt on TV but because it featured a Hollywood starlet doing her best 'alien' impression and flirting with some Glaswegians, it seemed to earn praise (yeah I appreciate it was more complicated than that) Yes, I'm being a little simplistic, but my palette isn't completely incompatible with more abstract cinema and I just found Under the Skin pretent... goddamnit. Uhm, I dunno. Vaporous. Insubstantial. Frustrating. Ponderous. Unnecessary. Padded. Clinical. Bereft of thought to be honest; the little vignette featuring the man with the deformed face seemed the closest the film got to any kind of emotional substance, then lost it as quickly as it came.

Advertisement