Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Republican photo, need help identifying the people in it?

Options
  • 30-04-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Girls
    Would anyone recognise anybody in this photo?

republican dinner 001.jpg

2nd from right on top table is my Grandmother and 4th from right on top table is my Great-Grandfather Eamon Martin who was the Chief-of-Staff of Fianna Eireann but not when this photo was taken (late 1930's or 1940's I think). He led the attack on the Magazine fort during the Rising and was shot later on outside Broadstone station.

There seems to be a few people in military uniforms so it could be some sort of commemerative event, possibly 25th anniversary of the Rising in 1941 (maybe celebrating Fianna Eireann's involvement hence my GGF at the top table, who knows?).

I am especially interested in the chap 6th from right at the top table, he seems familiar and seems to be the head person there.

Several of them are wearing military medals too.

Thanks all.

Edit: Not sure how to embed the photo, maybe a MOD could do it for me. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I think it is an anniversary, they are wearing War of Independence medals and there is a picture of the GPO on the wall behind them alongside what looks like the edge of a Tricolour. I agree the man placed 6th from right on table 1 looks familiar but can't help with his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deering

Hi,

Just came across your thread. I am doing my family history and Eamon
    Martin was an uncle of my father Thomas Martin. I am trying to connect the two of them but do not have enough information.
    I am assuming my grandfather Thomas was a brother of Eamon. Can you
    tell me who was Eamon Martins father? I may be able to trace the connection if I have this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Hi Man1 & Deering,

Just came across this thread and I am very intrigued. My daughter is doing a family tree as a transition year project and it looks like there is plenty of history to work with on my side

I too am a Martin. Deering, if I am correct so far, Eamonn Martin's parents were John "Sean" Martin and Mary Martin. They had 14 children and I have so far figured out ;

Sean Martin (My Grandfather)
    Kevin Martin (Boxed in the 1948 & 1952 Olympics)
    Eamonn Martin (Chief of Staff Na Fianna)
    Christopher Martin (Member of Na Fianna, was with Eamonn on raid of Magazinne Fort at the start of the 1916 rising)
    Daniel Martin
    Joseph Martin
    Thomas Martin

I have tried to find them on the census but without any luck so far, I believe from talking to my dad that most of them lived around pearse street area, namely queens terrace / queen street. I have found a few martins in that area but the names/date of births dont tie in.

If I can find out more I will post again.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that information. A cousin of mine sent me last weeks very old family photographs and there is one of Eamon Martin with a friend of his. He is very young in it and also some photos of Thomas Martin. If you like I can get them copied and send them onto you.

Well with this information I can now take a trip into town and do some searching. Will pass any info onto you as I find it.

If you want to in future email me directly you will get me at
    marianmartin1@eircom.net

Cheers

Marian

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

deering wrote: »
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for that information. A cousin of mine sent me last weeks very old family photographs and there is one of Eamon Martin with a friend of his. He is very young in it and also some photos of Thomas Martin. If you like I can get them copied and send them onto you.

Well with this information I can now take a trip into town and do some searching. Will pass any info onto you as I find it.

If you want to in future email me directly you will get me at
    marianmartin1@eircom.net

Cheers

Marian

Hi Marian and Alan
    I have lots of information that you both might find interesting. (I would also be interested in a copy of that photo of Eamon that you have Marion)
    I will send you both my email address by private message so we can get in touch with each other.
    The Martins lived at 17 Island Villas (some accounts say Eblana Villas but this is a mistake) just off Pearse street (Great Brunswick Street at the time) having moved back from Liverpool in the late 1880's where they lived for a number of years.
    Check your inbox for my email address, if you have any trouble post back here.

EDIT: I can email you census records of the Martins in 1911.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Hi Marian & Man1

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I havent been online. Marian, the information I gave you earlier is incorrect, I spoke to my dad last week and he gave me the correct info (well think it is). There were 14 kids in the family and their names are ;

Joseph
    Mary
    Eilis
    Eamon
    Christopher
    Lottie
    John "Sean"
    Liam
    Austin
    Cathleen "Vera"
    Peig
    Shiela
    Rose
    Delia
    Noreen

Now I know I have listed 15 but my dad cant remember a christopher but we have searched records from the 1916 rising
    http://irishmedals.org/gpage.html and this clearly lists a Christopher & Eamon at magazine hill so we assumed they were brothers.

Man1 thanks very much for the info on the address, we searched for ages on the census but couldnt find the correct "martin" family anywhere in the South Dock parish but then my daughter twigged the name is listed in irish "Mac Giolla Mairtin" and this clearly lists a christopher so my dad obviously cant remember. He did mention that the father of the family was a widower and re-married (he said the woman he remarried lost her husband in an accident where he was run over by a steam roller!!!!).

I also listed Kevin as being a brother of Eamonns but this isnt accurate either, I think they were cousins.

I slot into the family as a grandson of John "Sean", which side of the family do both of you fall under? There is certainly plenty of information on the internet about Eamonn, all very interesting and nice to know that the blood lines had such an impact in irish freedom. My Dad said that Eamonn was a shop steward (aparently the only shop steward) in the Gas company and this likely explains why so many of the family lived around what is now the pearse street area of town and also why so many of them had good jobs in the gas company. He also said that back in the day the shop steward earned a commission on the union fees along with his salary and he earned more in commission than he did his salary so probably explains why he had a few quid. What is further interesting is that my dad said that his mother always said that the family had money in Cuba, wether thats true or not is another story but he certainly was well travelled for that generation having travelled to Russia/Germany & USA in the early 1900's.

I know a cousin of mine has done some research so I will get in touch with him and see what he has but interested to see what you guys can come up with before i get his notes.

PS would you mind emailing me pics if you havethem scanned? Thanks

Let me know if you can open these photos.
    The photo with the two males are Eamon Martin with friend. That is what is written on the back but no date and the other photo is my grandfather Thomas Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

alanceltic wrote: »
    Hi Marian & Man1

Sorry for not getting back sooner but I havent been online. Marian, the information I gave you earlier is incorrect, I spoke to my dad last week and he gave me the correct info (well think it is). There were 14 kids in the family and their names are ;

Joseph
    Mary
    Eilis
    Eamon
    Christopher
    Lottie
    John "Sean"
    Liam
    Austin
    Cathleen "Vera"
    Peig
    Shiela
    Rose
    Delia
    Noreen

Now I know I have listed 15 but my dad cant remember a christopher but we have searched records from the 1916 rising
    http://irishmedals.org/gpage.html and this clearly lists a Christopher & Eamon at magazine hill so we assumed they were brothers.

Man1 thanks very much for the info on the address, we searched for ages on the census but couldnt find the correct "martin" family anywhere in the South Dock parish but then my daughter twigged the name is listed in irish "Mac Giolla Mairtin" and this clearly lists a christopher so my dad obviously cant remember. He did mention that the father of the family was a widower and re-married (he said the woman he remarried lost her husband in an accident where he was run over by a steam roller!!!!).

I also listed Kevin as being a brother of Eamonns but this isnt accurate either, I think they were cousins.

I slot into the family as a grandson of John "Sean", which side of the family do both of you fall under? There is certainly plenty of information on the internet about Eamonn, all very interesting and nice to know that the blood lines had such an impact in irish freedom. My Dad said that Eamonn was a shop steward (aparently the only shop steward) in the Gas company and this likely explains why so many of the family lived around what is now the pearse street area of town and also why so many of them had good jobs in the gas company. He also said that back in the day the shop steward earned a commission on the union fees along with his salary and he earned more in commission than he did his salary so probably explains why he had a few quid. What is further interesting is that my dad said that his mother always said that the family had money in Cuba, wether thats true or not is another story but he certainly was well travelled for that generation having travelled to Russia/Germany & USA in the early 1900's.

I know a cousin of mine has done some research so I will get in touch with him and see what he has but interested to see what you guys can come up with before i get his notes.

Hi Alan I have sent you my email address in private messages on here, send me yours I want to send you an email.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rossdburke

alanceltic wrote: »
    Hi Marian & Man1

Joseph
    Mary
    Eilis
    Eamon
    Christopher
    Lottie
    John "Sean"
    Liam
    Austin
    Cathleen "Vera"
    Peig
    Shiela
    Rose
    Delia
    Noreen

Hey ,
    My name is Ross Burke, Eamon is also my great grand father, his daughter , Roisin , is my late grandmother. I thought Kevin was his brother too? And I also have a wardrobe which Christopher made in my house ! it's a small world !
    Eamon would have been on the run , while in Russia , and travelled on a fake passport.he was a very interesting man !
    I love hearing stories about him, tho id love to know more about the rest of the family!
    Cheers
    Ross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

This sh!t needs a documentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ingrid_Martin

Hello to all my cousins out there researching Eamon Martin 1916 IRB.
    Some of you seem to be missing a generation or 2 so to help here are some fact . I have the certs . Easy to get mixed up with so many names the same.

John Martin born 1853 in Dublin married Margaret Rohan born in Liverpool . The were married at St Silas Church 1875 and had Margaret, Charlotte, John Rohan & Joseph before they moved to Dublin . 5 more children were born there, Thomas, Eamon , Elizabeth, Christopher & Annie who died as a baby.
    I have history of the family on the Rohan's side going back to 1806 and a little about the Martin's but only after 1850 in Dublin.
    John Rohan Martin born 1880 was my grandfather and the father of Kevin Joseph Martin Irish Olympian born 1925 . If you would like more information contact me by PM and I will send you and invite to join my family site where there is a great deal of information.
    regards
    Ingrid

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Robus

Hi
    Did you know he made a witness statement etc
    • Martin Eamon Signed the Easter Week Rising, 1916, Roll of Honour, Magazine Fort Garrison
    • Martin Eamon a Senior Officer, Fianna Eireann, 1912-1921 deposited a "Collection of Documents" number 238 with the Bureau of "Military History"
    • Martin Eamon a Senior Officer, Fianna Eireann, 1912-1921 ,made a "Witness Statement" number 591; 592, 593 to The "Bureau of Military History"
    • Martin Christopher Signed the Easter Week Rising, 1916, Roll of Honour, Magazine Fort Garrison

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0591.pdf#page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BPMartin

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, and I see your comments were posted some time ago.
    I'm afraid I can't help with the old photo - just wanted to say Hello to extended family members.

My name is Brian Martin. The John Martin (born 1853) mentioned above by Ingrid Martin would be my Great grandfather, his son Joseph (b. 1882) my grandfather. Joseph would have been a brother of the Fianna COS Eamon. My Dad was also Eamon (named after his illustrious uncle, as are one of my brothers and his son), he grew up in Westland Row in Dublin.

The list of 14 (omitting Christopher) posted above by alanceltic is actually my Dad and his siblings. I remember about half of them from my childhood - I was born in Dublin in 1965 - my Dad used to bring us to visit them every St. Stephens' Day. I remember my Aunts Rose, Peg, Mary, Eilish, Vera, Sheila and my Uncle Sean.

Christopher (or Kit as he was known) would have been a brother of my Dad's Uncle Eamon. The Olympic boxer Kevin would have been a first cousin of my Dad, and also a nephew of the Fianna Eamon.

Hope this is of interest

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

I think the guy wearing the dark suit third from the right at the long table is Piaras Beaslaí. He was the IRA's Director of Publicity during the War of Independence. He was editor of An t-Óglách, the IRA's in-house journal. He supported the Treaty and wrote a two-volume biography of Michael Collins in the mid-1920s. In the 1960s, he revived An t-Óglách as a place for veterans to publish their memoirs.

Advertisement