Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covert Affairs [US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

That's pretty funny given that everything I have seen him in recent years (Odyssey 5, Jake 2.0, Harper's Island) has been cancelled very early on... You would think he would be feeling a bit more insecure about the future of his shows...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

BREAKING NEWS!!!!....i'm giving up on CA, i gave the show a chance....it's just not keeping my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Watched the first few episodes and quite like it. I'll keep watching.

Anyone still watching?....not seen the last few eps. has it got any better?, any girl-on-girl action yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It's still Alias Lite. Sydney Bristow would kick Annie's ass.

Decent episode this week. Finally some developments on Ben (Sri Lanka fling from episode 1).

Anyone spot the glaring spelling mistake on one of the computers. A big blinking "Acess Denied" message (on a CIA computer system!) :)

^ must be a Microsoft OS :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Mr E wrote: »
    It's still Alias Lite.

Yep. And it really brought the Alias comparisons this week with the "2 days ago" format... but Annie is pretty much helpless compared to Syndey Bristow...

Still don't care much for the whole Ben storyline and it is a very weak larger arc to be sustainable long term, but the one interesting thing this week seems to be that Annie may have joined the CIA to explicitly find out more about Ben and she's not as much of a pawn as her bosses think.
    Anyone spot the glaring spelling mistake on one of the computers.

Seems like a pattern for USA :). A few weeks back on "White Collar", Neil was reading a college syllabus about him with glee, even though his name was blatantly misspelled as "Caffery"... HD has made it easier than ever to spot things like that :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

thought last night ep was good, they seem to be pushing the ben story more the last two weeks, i was surprised to see mohinder talking to ben,

3 eps to go, should be interesting,

i think this will do nicely for an off-season show,

I watched it as well, loved Niagra Falls setting, yeah they seem to be developing the Ben story arc more now, i'm still not overly impressed as the season progressed, but ratings wise it's USA's top show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Like everything else on USA, I gave up on it.. after about 3 episodes.

Piper Perabo is irritating and the writing was uninspiring.

I gave up on it after ep. 5, slow night Tuesday so watched the latest....it just dosen't have enough to keep my interest. The pilot was decent but since then i think it's been watered down alot, and Perabo is no Matt Bomer....she has no real screen presence.

I'm out.

Final two episodes of the season played tonight, i'll watch the finale just to see how it went down, not sure when the second season starts up, but i definately won't be watching.

What's your opnion overall of CA from a first season standpoint?

I'll watch them tonight.

Its a fun show with a good cast and some clever stories, but it is still a few notches below Alias.

I just watched the finale...solid, very solid...had some decent action set pieces and was set on location for real, no green screen!, then Ben subplot got played out to conculsion but tbh there wasn't much to it, he's a good guy after all?

That fight scene in the vacant building was pretty good, it was a strong finale...pity the rest of the season (bar the pilot) was not upto this level. I just feel overall the show is a bit too fluff, wishy washy. It's not edgy, pacey, or dark enough.

It has too much focus on relationships and is more Affairs then Covert...if you know what i mean. I'm not really interested in the marriage of Kari Matchet and Peter Gallagher, nor am i invest in Benannie, or whatever girls would call the couple.

I think Gorman is miscast and wasted, Mohinder can just DIE DIE DIE!....he ruined Heroes and he's ruining this as well!

Good end and good finish, but 9 episodes of "meh"....

solid finnish to an alright first season, the thing i like about it as that annie was pulled out of training early cause he ex botfriend was back in town and running his own ops,

and it does show, she neither mentally of phyically ready for her job, she is learning on her feet, i think as the show goes on she will come into her own, i can see her being promoted to higher levels at a decent rate, she already involved in ops way above her expierience and clearance,

i think most of the carcaters are solid except maybe the husband and wife heads, i think if they werent married there relationship would work much better, and would be more professional,

i think augie is a solid carcater (bar the fact hes to most inshape blind guy on the planet) hes played well, hes been around the block a few times, and still offers a lot to the DCS department, plus he acts like our guide to the inner workings of the CIA,

jai, as much as he irritated me in heroes, is actually pretty good in this show, it suits him much better when he doesnt have supernatural powers, and hes not informing us of what happened the previous week,

• Advertisement

I keeping expecting Mohinder to say "previously on Covert Affairs"...eek!

Ratings, very solid for USA...the finale was up quite a bit:

Covert Affairs (9pm)
    - 4.586 million viewers
    - 2.9/5 HH
    - 1.3/4 A18-49

Covert Affairs (10pm)
    - 5.233 million viewers
    - 3.4/6 HH
    - 1.4/4 A18-49

Season 2 of CA returns on Tuesday June 7th....along with season 3 of White Collar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Kind of forgot about this show lol.

CovertAffairs2011110509144339.jpg

Is Piper Perabo a lesbian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is Piper Perabo a lesbian?
    Who cares?!

What has that got to do with anything? :confused:

• Advertisement

She's done a few lesbian roles, but she's straight.

Not that it makes a difference.

Season 2 kicks off tonight, i'll give it another try...maybe they hardened it up?, what am i saying!....this is USA Network!

Season 2 kicks off tonight, i'll give it another try...maybe they hardened it up?, what am i saying!....this is USA Network!
    lol I'm not saying I'd actually watch it if it were on against the big shows, but it's a summer show and the pickin's are slim.... when you look at it that way; it's not so bad for the mindless fluff that it is ;)

:( what a weak season opener :( , normally shows use a season opener to establish new arcs or plotpoints for the coming season. This one used it to roll out a bog standard and standalone ep. :rolleyes:

Terrible and unnnesscary green screen! :mad: did they need a fake backdrop when Annie was walking upto her bosses house?, no budget for a location shoot? :rolleyes:

Very weak, badly written....no action or energy nary a twist or shocker.

Agreed. Also, how do 2 guys get into a top priority and highly defended military base?

Pretty much common place filler episode.

Yup bad start to the season. Even Piper Perabo in a bikini didn't save this one.

Ah that's more like it. Better story than last week, a nice parkour sequence in the middle of it, and the always watchable Oded Fehr.

Big improvement.

2 good ones in a row, and the makings of a good spinoff there if C.A. goes south. :)

Anyone else still watching?

2 good ones in a row, and the makings of a good spinoff there if C.A. goes south. :)

Anyone else still watching?

I watched ep. 2 and agree with your take, much better then the premiere...not seen the third yet but plan to watch tonight. I *must* stress though....if it was the regular network season i'd pass on this show.

It's just not strong enough when faced with other shows.

• Advertisement

Agreed, two very strong episodes (bar some shoddy CGI) after a pretty dismal season opener.

Agreed, two very strong episodes (bar some shoddy CGI) after a pretty dismal season opener.

I have two words to describe the last two episodes:

LOCATION SHOOTING --> :eek:

Another strong episode. This show is quickly becoming a legit spy show! :eek:

Agreed...after a weak opener is been kicked up a notch in the last 3 eps. - which i've enjoyed more then the entire first season [bar the pilot], better stories, the guest stars are better actors [see Italian dude this week + the two embassy dudes].

One major gripe i had last season was green screen!, thank GOD they are doing alot more location shooting and cutting down on the horrid looking green screen.

I'll admit, it's much better...but it's still not appointment tv, but they've made positive changes so i'll take it week by week for now :)

Ok, let me first say this annoyed the shít out of me. 2 highly trained CIA operatives in a forest don't hear 6 men with guns approaching them at all?

Secondly, pretty poor CGI again in this episode. Must have blown too much money on renting out the chopper.

Now, on the good side the acting was pretty good and the storyline (bar the shoddy premise).

Overall an enjoyable episode, but not on par with the last few.

Augie knocking boots with Rebecca Mader?....g'wan g'wan g'wan!

http://www.tvline.com/2011/07/covert-affairs-chris-gorham-preview-istanbul/

Another solid ep this week. I wasn't so sure about an Augie-centric episode but it really worked.

Another solid ep this week. I wasn't so sure about an Augie-centric episode but it really worked.

Not seen it yet, 'bout time we added spoiler tags to this thread ;)

Not seen it yet, 'bout time we added spoiler tags to this thread ;)
    Sorry lol thought it was clear from the link you posted on the 18th ;)

• Advertisement

Based on the 7 eps. to date, bar the opener....you've hit the nail on the head!, the show this season is MUCH stronger, it's more focused, better written, the extensive location shooting is adding tons to the show, more character development.

It's less fluffy, a major flaw of season 1, as you say the stories and locations are making it a legit spy show, the recent ep. with Augie was one of the strongest to date, Istanbul guerilla style shoots were great.

Was good to see Augie's backstory fleshed out, overall CA has been much much stronger, i'm watching it each week...which is something i didn't do last season.

I'm still not impressed by Piper Perabo as a lead, she's ok i guess. But if they keep things going like it has been i'll certainly continue to watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's definitely getting stronger, I like that it's taking itself a little more seriously and trying to be a bit more of a serious spy show than just a sitcom based in the CIA. I like that Annie seems to be growing into a proper spy too, or at least the hollywood version of one which is close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Question about that last episode: why was the terrorist travelling to America? It seem like his sister was working with the FBI to capture him but if he was wanted for killing american soldiers why would he travel there?

Suspension of belief and all that but I couldn't believe that a blind man could beat up an ex-soldier so easily.

just caught up with the last 4 eps there, for a summer show it has very high production value i must say, a little dodgy CGI here and there but otherwise solid, roaming forrests and deserts, and making it look genuine is not easy to do id say, even when they returned the italian fella when annie was in the hanger at the end and it said royal air base falkland islands on the hanger door,

also great to see its the highest rated show on tuesdays, so its more or less guaranted renewal:D,

Not a bad ep. with the return of Ben + we got to see TWO CIA babes kicking ass! + nice stuntwork, scaling down the side of the building, more location shooting...Mohinder finding out about his dad passing info to the journalist.

Very different feel to season 2, seems more mature and not soo kiddy like season 1.

• Advertisement

Agreed, good episode this week. lol @ Mohinder btw :D

Casting news, Auggie gets a regular GF....so, more shirtless Auggie?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Covert-Affairs-Devin-Kelley-1036223.aspx

Casting news, Auggie gets a regular GF....so, more shirtless Auggie?

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Covert-Affairs-Devin-Kelley-1036223.aspx
    uhhhh ok, i think you should have phrased that bit better richard;):D,

i didnt realise it had been renewed

Great episode this week. Show keeps getting better every week IMO. Don't think Annie is going to read-in her sister any time soon though despite the big hints they're dropping.

Great episode this week. Show keeps getting better every week IMO. Don't think Annie is going to read-in her sister any time soon though despite the big hints they're dropping.

Based on the promos....sis may find out ;)
    Mid season finale tonight, returns in the Autumn/Fall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement