Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covert Affairs [US] [** Spoilers **]

• 18-03-2010 5:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Cool....i like Piper Perabo :)

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/18/burn-notice-royal-pains-return-in-june-white-collar-psych-along-with-newcomer-covert-affairs-in-july/45378

USA’s newest series COVERT AFFAIRS stars Piper Perabo (“Coyote Ugly,” “Beverly Hills Chihuahua”), Christopher Gorham (“Ugly Betty,” “Jake 2.0”) Sendhil Ramamurthy (“Heroes”), , Kari Matchett (“Invasion”) and Anne Dudek (“House,” “Mad Men”), with recurring guest star Peter Gallagher (“The O.C.,” “American Beauty”). COVERT AFFAIRS will premiere with a 90-minute episode followed by 11 one-hour episodes. In COVERT AFFAIRS, we meet Annie Walker (Perabo), a young CIA trainee who is thrust into the inner sanctum of the agency when she is unexpectedly promoted to field operative. While it appears that she has been plucked from obscurity for her exceptional linguistic skills, there may be something or someone from her past that her CIA bosses are really after. Gorham plays Auggie Anderson, a CIA military intelligence agent, blinded while on assignment, and Annie’s guide in this world of bureaucracy, excitement and intrigue. Dudek plays Annie’s older sister, a married mother of two. Matchett plays Joan, head of the CIA’s Domestic Protection Division and wife of Gallagher’s Arthur, Director of Clandestine Services for the CIA. From Universal Cable Productions, COVERT AFFAIRS is executive produced by Doug Liman (the “Bourne” trilogy, “Heist”) and Dave Bartis (“The O.C.”) through Dutch Oven and written and co-executive produced by Matt Corman (“Deck the Halls”) and Chris Ord (“Deck the Halls”). Tim Matheson (USA’s BURN NOTICE, PSYCH, “Criminal Minds”) directed the pilot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,584 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Eric Lively is also on board for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

a young CIA trainee who is thrust into the inner sanctum of the agency when she is unexpectedly promoted to field operative. While it appears that she has been plucked from obscurity blah blah blah there may be something or someone from her past that her CIA bosses are really after

does that not read a bit like alias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Judging by the promo, it certainly looks like a less enthralling version of 'Alias'!

And I'm not a fan of the USA Networks stuff in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ but you like White Collar don't ya Basq?...anyways, some casting news:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a229379/anna-camp-to-star-in-covert-affairs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,035 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ but you like White Collar don't ya Basq?
    Nope, grew tired of it RD.

I'm gonna "promote" this show, 'cause i like Piper Perabo + Doug Liman (The Bourne trilogy) is behind it, but we'll soon see:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a240304/liman-casting-perabo-was-critical.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I enjoyed "White Collar" quite a bit last year so will give this a chance too - sounds like an interesting enough premise but not too sure if USA will have the budget for some ideas to pan out. We'll see soon enough I guess.

Kicks off tonight!...also stars The OC's Peter Gallagher (which i really liked), and yer man from Harper's Island and Jake 2.0.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 USANetwork

Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of USA Network. I'm glad you're so excited about tonight's Covert Affairs premiere, hope you are all planning on tuning it an 10/9c!

To hold you over until tonight, check out a sneak peek at tonight's show.

^ first we had ABC Family..now USA Network!, hey...i should be getting paid! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

USANetwork wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of USA Network. I'm glad you're so excited about tonight's Covert Affairs premiere, hope you are all planning on tuning it an 10/9c!

To hold you over until tonight, check out a sneak peek at tonight's show.
    you are aware most people here are living in ireland, we dont have USANetwrok here,

anyway seemed like an ok pilot, i will tune in next week, but you must do something to make pipers head look smaller, her head is hugh compared to her body,

^ i think he's aware we're in Ireland, but Boards has alot of members from different countries...the pilot, pretty good. Had some Doug Liman touches of fast paced action with the sniper in the hotel and the car chase....what a crap car Annie was driving!, some Toyota hatchback, she can pull a handbrake turn though, i bet the gearbox was fooked after that!

I'm not sold on lovable geek Augie, Gorman is miscast imo....Perabo is likeable and has a bit of sas about her. She looks much older compared to her ultra hot days of Coyote Ugly....is this the same girl that starred in Rocky & Bulwinkle??

Peter Gallagher and the wife, meh....could do without that nonesense, adds nothing....nice to see Emmanuelle Vaguier (again)....i swear that girl turns up in every show!

So yeah, it's light stuff, it's kinda fun, it's not Alias, it's watchable....i'll stick with it for now.

don ramo wrote: »
    you are aware most people here are living in ireland, we dont have USANetwrok here,

anyway seemed like an ok pilot, i will tune in next week, but you must do something to make pipers head look smaller, her head is hugh compared to her body,

Doug Liman must have some camera add-on for that :P

Very solid ratings: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/07/14/usas-covert-affairs-launches-at-1-draws-4-9-million-viewers/57126

^ it beat White Collar - wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

what a crap car Annie was driving!, some Toyota hatchback, she can pull a handbrake turn though, i bet the gearbox was fooked after that!

Are you talking about the Red Volkswagen Golf she is driving? How would the gearbox be fooked? :D I know hollywood exaggerates a lot :D but it is quite possible to do a Hand brake turn in a golf without any damage. Golfs are decent cars.

^ it's spies...she should have a sportscar! :-)
    Nah, the car was a grand little mover, but i just expected it to clap out at any moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

^ it's spies...she should have a sportscar! :-)
    Nah, the car was a grand little mover, but i just expected it to clap out at any moment!

Golfs are very reliable and her one could have been a sports version ;)

Lets not forget she was just promoted to field operative so in realism terms the writers got it right. Trainees don't make an awful lot of money and Golfs are affordable cars.:D

^ pah!...you make too much sense, i wanted her to have a transformer car!

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Another great show!

I want to be her.......always wanted to be a CIA agent!

Got a car like hers anyway......must bring it for an ole test drive!

I hope the ratings for it were good. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

I enjoyed this show too, hopefully pulled in a few viewers. :D Interesting to see how it progresses after the pilot

^ check out Rizolli & Isles Princess...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Did not think I was going to like this but ended up really enjoying it!

Oisin, are you watching Pretty Little Liars?...

Oisin, are you watching Pretty Little Liars?...
    I've tried to watch the first episode a few times, but haven't been able to get through it. Does it get better after the first?

^ yes, trust me...see ep. 6, best so far. You'd need context but for entertainment value it's the best, they've started ramping up the murder/mystery aspect of PLL.

^ yes, trust me...see ep. 6, best so far. You'd need context but for entertainment value it's the best, they've started ramping up the murder/mystery aspect of PLL.
    I have them all, so maybe I'll give it another go on a slow TV day!

Annie gets into hot water tonight when she ropes Augie into a threesome with a hot new CIA trainee, i jest but one can hope ;-)

ya awesome threesome alright richard;)

seem like it might be an ok show,

anyone think the credits were a bit like chuck,

thought it was interesting that they played off an IRA storyline, wonder if some of the stuff hapening at the moment had anything to do with the episode, or if it was done before it started,

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the first two episodes, it's not a bad summer show though I find the "larger arc" about her super-spy boyfriend (that she doesn't know is a super-spy) a bit meh, pretty much like the larger arc in the first season of White Collar.

Forgot that Mohinder from Heroes is in this and he's a series regular too :eek:. Thankfully he didn't get too much screen time this time around (and he wasn't in the pilot) but we'll see if he changes my mind at all... He was number 2 on my hate list on Heroes (right after Claire of course :)).

^ kill the cheeleader....save the world :-)

Ep. 2 - bang on about the "Chuck" intro...total rippoff!, less humour in this ep. not as good as the pilot but pretty ok.

I'll stick with it for now, i'm fast going off Rizolli & Isles....a benchmark for me is if i watch a 720p, R&I has been demoted to standard def!

Wow. This show just went up in my books. In the middle of watching Episode 2 and next thing you know, a song by one of my favourite bands at the moment comes on.

I gotta just say - congrats on the music choice USA Network! Though you're unlikely to read this now - even better that you're giving a somewhat little heard band a great medium to show their talents.

I was impressed by the pilot and liked the 2nd episode, but I feel like the action could be directed a bit better... it's a bit messy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

About 10 mins into the second ep the yanks show once again the world is out to get them, the "Irish Repulican Army" is not only recruiting again but possibly planning attacks on American soil. This only serves to fuel the paranoia in the US that the whole world is out to get them, I mean for gods sake do yer research it's pretty well documented that they got most of their funding from the US. I thought the show had some promise but I will find it hard to take it seriously from here on, in fact I think after that I'd find it hard to watch another episode

• Advertisement

Yeah, that was stupid but I've become pretty used to that kind of blanketing stereotype from the US as a whole.

;)

Ep. 3 - much better then last week, did they really film on location?...seemed like it.
    Navid from 90210 guest starred, he wasn't bad....much better then he is on 90210, and another wan from Miami Medical.

Significant improvement on last week's episode (which, bar a few complaints was pretty good too).

I can definitely see where this show is going and it's headed there in a positive direction.
    Difficult to see where it will head once this arc with her ex-boyfriend is played out. Couldn't see this story lasting more than one season really - and I'd like to see the show last for at least 2 more seasons if it stays this good.

did they really film on location?...seemed like it.

I think that's pretty unlikely with the budget of any show on USA. And there is obvious green screen work in the backgrounds right at the beginning, before the credits (the Venezuela scene that alternates with Annie playing football).

Good episode overall, much better paced than the first two IMO, quite enjoyed it.

just caught up on the last 2 episodes, surprised they havent been discussed, the show has set up its stall now i think, and is actually looking like a decent enought show,

thought this week episode was better than last weeks, im quite surprised how much i dont hate sendhil ramamurthy, and the story seems to work better when ben is hanging around,

also whats up with the casting most actors are shown as 12 episodes but have already missed 2 or 3 of the 12 episode series, i wouldnt mind seeing more of anne dudek, thought she was great in house,

• Advertisement

I'm close to giving up on CA.

Bringing in Gregory Itzin as a shady character/villain = win in my book (greatest villain ever in 24 :)). I wonder if the ex-boyfriend is working for him, since he wanted the arms dealer taken down..

I thought the episode was good overall but they really have to give Annie more to do really. Other than talking to people, she didn't do much at all really...

It is starting to feel a bit too neat. No overarching story is in play - sure we see the ex boyfriend every now and then, but he's being used as more of a writer's tool to get out of dead-end stories.
    Each week is too cut and dry and I'm not investing in the show. I'll keep watching it, but it's a bit of a background deal for me atm.

^ same here Osin, i watch it with White Collar...a superior show in all regards, Heroes dude annoys the hell outta me!!!...pathetic attempt at an American accent, Peter Gallagher...woefully underused.

It's a very light and fluffy show, the pilot had a bit of edge, but that's gone since the second ep., it is what is it...maybe it dosen't want to be more then it is, but i'd like a bit more "meat" from this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

^ same here Osin, i watch it with White Collar...a superior show in all regards, Heroes dude annoys the hell outta me!!!...pathetic attempt at an American accent, Peter Gallagher...woefully underused.

It's a very light and fluffy show, the pilot had a bit of edge, but that's gone since the second ep., it is what is it...maybe it dosen't want to be more then it is, but i'd like a bit more "meat" from this show.

He was born in Chicago, of Indian parents. Perhaps he didn't go out much.

lol yeah I think that's his actual accent.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/USA-Renews-Covert-1022065.aspx

Covert Affairs has been picked up for Season 2
    That's good... hopefully the story starts picking up soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Watched eps 1-6 of this show last night. It isn't bad really. Good light entertainment. I will keep watching it as a filler. Surprised it got picked up for a second season to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement