Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The High Hopes Choir

Options
  • 05-12-2014 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Was anyone watching this? I was fully expecting an out and out cringe fest or sympathy piece from the ads, but god there where some characters on it, made me want to laugh and cry and equal parts. The old lad Bert was some boy :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,055 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Genuinely one of the most moving documentaries RTE has produced. Found myself in tears at not only Bert singing his solo piece, but also the affection everyone began to show to each other.

I'd urge everyone to donate to the cause at the end of the show too. It's the season of giving after all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Watched it and loved it...shed quite a few tears also; moving to see that guy who died on the streets during the week on it also, albeit briefly.

I will be donating what I can to Simon. They do great work.

Looking forward to next weeks episode :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

Agreed it was fantastic. Very moving and makes ya think about how little we do to make other lives better! Defo motivated me and so good am even watching it again on RTE+!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

calex71 wrote: »
    Was anyone watching this? I was fully expecting an out and out cringe fest or sympathy piece from the ads, but god there where some characters on it, made me want to laugh and cry and equal parts. The old lad Bert was some boy :pac:

The Brophs is a bit of a character himself. Doing a good job on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Great show and good to see them coming out of their shells and smiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

It was an incredible programme. The conductor guy is fantastic and some of the characters are great. Some sad stories in there.

Anyone watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Yeah, I'm watching again

It's a tough enough song to sing. Fair play to them all, they are doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭fire_man

Ya great program,fair play to all involved.

Love them all!

The conductors are great too

• Advertisement

Some of the stories are heart breaking

I hope Tommy can get off the street

Purchased the single too. Hopefully most viewers done likewise. Like to think it'll go some way in helping the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I only caught some of this programme tonight, but it was so heartwarming. Is the choir on-going, or a short term project? I'd love to see it follow the lives of those involved, and the impact the choir has had on them as individuals. The conductor is amazing, so energetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Go Tommy..........hope he sticks with the programme & gets clean!

Something so genuine about him...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Tommy breaks my heart.

I was I a shop last week and he walked by the window with his sleeping bag and haversack on his back.

He must be still on the streets.

Beechfiled wrote: »
    Tommy breaks my heart.

I was I a shop last week and he walked by the window with his sleeping bag and haversack on his back.

He must be still on the streets.

He has touched me too. Very sad

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Beechfiled

Going to buy the single now, I'd love to see them in concert, I really hope they keep it up.

Not ashamed to admit it but I was in a flood of tears throughout watching that. Absolutely beautiful gesture from David Brophy to bring some light into their lives. Really deserves an award. I'd defy anyone not to well up at Bert and his sons (although misery Ray Darcy cut a little too deep when he mentioned his late wife). Touching seeing how genuinely grateful they all were towards David, and how the choir really did change their lives.

Most of all, I've been inspired to come a whole lot more charitable in the coming year, and am making it my New Year's resolution to donate to Focus Ireland as often as I can. Really, really struck a chord with me. No-one deserves to not have a roof over their head.

Music is the greatest healer going. Best thing RTE have ever done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just watching the end of the concert in Christchurch now, and I'm in a complete heap here.

So many individual stories, so much sadness - so much achieved, but how long will it last? I really, really hope it does - but I fear it won't. The only hope is that the whole thing has strengthened each of the participants in themselves to fight the situation they find themselves in (I'm particularly thinking of Tommy here).

I'll admit I was a bit sceptical about it being a bit of a gimmick at the start, but oh my goodness that was an inspired idea that David Brophy had, and fair dues to him for carrying it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Some of the stories are heart breaking

I hope Tommy can get off the street

Just bumping this to say I nearly ran over this pillock today on Dorset street, stepped out in front of me oblivious to the world high as a kite recognized his soppy head straight away......no hopes for this high hoper I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

Ah poor Tommy, he's a good soul but has many issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Just watching this on rte, seems a bit exploitive to me, anyone else reminded of the Artane Boys Band, looks like something good but really something bad?

Just watching this on rte, seems a bit exploitive to me, anyone else reminded of the Artane Boys Band, looks like something good but really something bad?

I'm not seeing anything exploitative. Care to enlarge?

I'm enjoying the show. They brought tears to my eyes when they sang for the President.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

I'm not seeing anything exploitative. Care to enlarge?

I'm enjoying the show. They brought tears to my eyes when they sang for the President.

Just looks like vulnerable people being used for entertainment purposes which will in the long term yeild nothing for them. I guess you would have to understand the similarities between this and the Artane situation I referred to. I'm on a phone so can't type at length. Even the term "high" hopes isn't great really is it.

Looking at previous posts Tommy was back on the streets fairly rapidly. Now they're singing fairytale of New York, seriously!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Aw man this is so good.

I love that David Brophy guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

I just turned this on and David Brophy was there shouting at one of the women "You're an ould whore on junk". :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Just looks like vulnerable people being used for entertainment purposes which will in the long term yeild nothing for them. I guess you would have to understand the similarities between this and the Artane situation I referred to. I'm on a phone so can't type at length. Even the term "high" hopes isn't great really is it.

?????

I really don't think the intention of this program is for entertainment. My opinion is the purpose is to document how powerful music is amd how it has helped fragmented and vulnerable people come together and now have a community together.

I don't understand your reference to the artane situation?

Hmmm

I can see where you are coming from in some ways.

But....

It may yield something for some. Who knows?

And I think the "high hope" is an aspirational "aim high" type of vision.....not the get high on drugs type of reference I would imagine!

I'm not really aware of the Artane Situation. What happened?

Poor jonathan corry :(

• Advertisement

Christy Moore is awesome!

Advertisement