Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to France - July and August

Options
  • 18-06-2014 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hey
    I'm heading to France to work for July and August. I;m going to based in La Palmyre so La Côte Sauvage is the nearest surf spot there. I'm still at the beginner stage thanks to blowing out by need playing football so I've not been on a board for about 2 years.

Trying to find info on the water temperature in that area for that time of year
    Like what type of wax will be the best as I've only used cool for surfing around Sligo
    Would it be warm enough to get away with using no wetsuit ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Have spent a couple of weeks in that very area each summer for the past few years and heading back there for a couple of weeks on the 11th July. There are some nice little beach breaks along that coast, especially just in front of the lighthouse.

La Palmyre is a great town and you should really enjoy yourself.

As to water temps, I surfed there all my time there last year in just boardies (and sometimes a rashie due to strong sun), but it certainly is warm enough to get away without a wetsuit for most of the time. If you do need one on windy / overcast days, a light summer suit will be enough. Saying that, at least half the people in the water at any time are in wetsuits, so it will partly depend on your own temperature attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Have spent a couple of weeks in that very area each summer for the past few years and heading back there for a couple of weeks on the 11th July. There are some nice little beach breaks along that coast, especially just in front of the lighthouse.

La Palmyre is a great town and you should really enjoy yourself.

As to water temps, I surfed there all my time there last year in just boardies (and sometimes a rashie due to strong sun), but it certainly is warm enough to get away without a wetsuit for most of the time. If you do need one on windy / overcast days, a light summer suit will be enough. Saying that, at least half the people in the water at any time are in wetsuits, so it will partly depend on your own temperature attitude.

That's great that. I'm going over as i will be working at Les Charmettes holiday park so want to make the most of being near some surfing... What wax would i need for that area like cold,cool warm etc. want to order some online before i head over.

There are a couple of good surf shops in La Palmyre, so I would wait until over there if I was you.

There are a couple of good surf shops in La Palmyre, so I would wait until over there if I was you.

the people who work in the surfshops, what is their English like? ... My plan is to try and get out as much and the maybe try and trade in my 7 10 board for something smaller while I'm there. but my french isn't the greatest so could pose a problem trying to explain that

You will have little problem with language there as it is quite popular with Irish and English tourists. As for trading the board, I don't know what the scene is there for it. I might see you out the back one of the days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

siobhan08 wrote: »
    the people who work in the surfshops, what is their English like? ... My plan is to try and get out as much and the maybe try and trade in my 7 10 board for something smaller while I'm there. but my french isn't the greatest so could pose a problem trying to explain that

If you're a beginner who has not proberly surfed in 2yrs then why would you trade a board suitable for a beginner for a board that is more difficult to surf?

You'll see over there that they are not as preocupied with media led fads/going shorter etc etc then here in Ireland.
    Just enjoy the surf;)

If you're a beginner who has not proberly surfed in 2yrs then why would you trade a board suitable for a beginner for a board that is more difficult to surf?

You'll see over there that they are not as preocupied with media led fads/going shorter etc etc then here in Ireland.
    Just enjoy the surf;)

yeah i only want to trade in the board if i managed to improve enough to make the shorter board suitable .... plan on getting out as much as possible

Just back in the last few days and the surf was great, got quite a few perfect french-beach-break sessions over the two weeks. Really good to surf in boardies again - only problem is the fecking wax sticking to chest hair!

PS - why do french body boarders have to be such asses

Advertisement