Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda won't start (Tick Tick)

• 25-02-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

My civic has been sitting for 1 week and it won't start. :mad:
    When I turn the key it just goes tick tick tick until I let go of the key.
    I can't hear the car actually turning over at all.
    The lights etc. still seem to work fine

I've tried to no avail:

1. Cleaning off terminals with a wire brush until spotless.
    2. Plugging battery into charger which gives me a reading of around 13.3V and a full battery indicator.

The car recently (about 3/4 weeks ago) had spark plugs changed for new ones, distributor cap terminals cleaned & the leads were checked with a voltmeter and they seemed fine (numbers descending in size).

Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Sounds like the starter motor, Will it start on a push?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get someone to give the starter a bang while you turn the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

as said might be the starter motor, this might work as it might be a bit sticky from lack of use, locate the starter motor and get someone to turn the car over while you give the starter a few taps of a hammer this might free it up, worked for me a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

tomyr7 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My civic has been sitting for 1 week and it won't start. :mad:
    When I turn the key it just goes tick tick tick until I let go of the key.
    I can't hear the car actually turning over at all.
    The lights etc. still seem to work fine

I've tried to no avail:

1. Cleaning off terminals with a wire brush until spotless.
    2. Plugging battery into charger which gives me a reading of around 13.3V and a full battery indicator.

The car recently (about 3/4 weeks ago) had spark plugs changed for new ones, distributor cap terminals cleaned & the leads were checked with a voltmeter and they seemed fine (numbers descending in size).

Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers
    Most likely a dodgy battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

13.3 volts is perfectly acceptable. The starter motor almost certainly needs attention

Is the cable at the starter end attached tightly? Is the terminal connection at the starter end clean? If so the brushes are probably sticking/worn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

It's the solenoid, probably located on the starter motor,

mike65 wrote: »
    13.3 volts is perfectly acceptable. The starter motor almost certainly needs attention

Is the cable at the starter end attached tightly? Is the terminal connection at the starter end clean? If so the brushes are probably sticking/worn.

13.3volts in a battery sitting for a week is an unlikely reading. Would expect to see 12.5 approx. I wonder what it would read if a small load was put on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Sounds like the starter motor,
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Get someone to give the starter a bang while you turn the key.
    eg6 vtec wrote: »
    ... might be the starter motor, ... few taps of a hammer this might free it up,
    johnayo wrote: »
    mike65 wrote: »
    the brushes are probably sticking/worn.
    DanWall wrote: »
    It's the solenoid,
    13.3volts in a battery sitting for a week is an unlikely reading. ..
    I'd say it's the spare wheel.
    :rolleyes:

Wheelnut wrote: »
    I'd say it's the spare wheel.
    :rolleyes:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomyr7

Sit Rep

Ended up being a flat battery.
    I left it plugged in the charger for a day or so & when I came back, it read about 12.5 volts. When I put it back in, it started 1st time. Thanks for all the replies.

I probably shouldn't trust the ALDI/LIDL battery charger anymore. It charged it back up but gave some stupid readings.

Sound. Case Closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

And in the storm came the voice of reason.:)

Tks OP for taking the trouble of coming back. Glad you are sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I probably shouldn't trust the ALDI/LIDL battery charger anymore. It charged it back up but gave some stupid readings.

Don't condemn the charger, it's probably one of those "intelligent" chargers. They operate in cycles. They build up the charge to about 14.7 volts, then let it fall back and then repeat the cycle. This system is supposed to do a better job on conditioning the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tomyr7

Tks OP for taking the trouble of coming back. Glad you are sorted.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly I have another issue. It's in a separate thread I just put up. The problems never end. :o
    Wheelnut wrote: »
    Don't condemn the charger, it's probably one of those "intelligent" chargers. They operate in cycles. They build up the charge to about 14.7 volts, then let it fall back and then repeat the cycle. This system is supposed to do a better job on conditioning the battery.

To be fair I suppose it did charge the battery which is the main thing. At least now I know it still could be dead even if it says charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly I have another issue. It's in a separate thread I just put up. The problems never end. :o

To be fair I suppose it did charge the battery which is the main thing. At least now I know it still could be dead even if it says charged.

The one thing that has disappointed me about me missus.

Advertisement