Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a towbar done reasonably??

Options
  • 18-02-2013 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi all,

I want to get a towbar put on the car for pulling a boat but all the quotes I've got are in or around €500. I may be changing my car later in the year though and I was wondering does anyone know where it might be possible to get it done somewhat cheaper?? I'd be willing to travel if the price is right. Or do I have to make the call between 500 bills and leaving the boat parked up???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Beardyman wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to get a towbar put on the car for pulling a boat but all the quotes I've got are in or around €500. I may be changing my car later in the year though and I was wondering does anyone know where it might be possible to get it done somewhat cheaper?? I'd be willing to travel if the price is right. Or do I have to make the call between 500 bills and leaving the boat parked up???

Cheers

I would check donedeal/breakers for a used towbar and get a mechanic to fit it. Depending on the car fitting them can be really easy. Basically bolt on the ready-made fixtures in the car and plug in electrical connection to a connector in the boot. Opposite can be true too, i.e. have to drill holes in the boot floor and fit loads of reinforcement bars.

What car is it? Somebody might have experienced fitting one first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

Bought Towbar and electrics for Peugeot 307 estate on ebay €137 (new) delivered from UK. Really well made ,all holes lined up as they should.
    Excellent fittting instructions, did it myself. Had it fitted in a morning.No major problems, electrics were a bit fiddly but I had a workshop manual for the wiring diagram, you could also google it. Local mechanic quoted €50,but the weather was fine and I had a set of ramps so off I went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Beardyman

Thanks that's great. I've priced one at something similar from ebay. I've a couple of mechanic buddies who could give me a hand if I was stuck. Think that's the best (and cheapest!) option.

Advertisement