Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Surfing queries from a Newbie

Options
  • 30-07-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

A few Queries if I can :)

~ Out surfing today and I was falling over just standing in the water waiting to get on my surf-board , such was the strength of the water

--> Any tips for maintaining balance whilst standing up-right against the waves until I get on my board?

--> Any tips for maintaining that last piece of continuous confidence to continually jump-up. I'm still building my confidence and found it tough today to continuously stand-up :confused:

~ With this now and my kayaking I'm thinking of investing in a wet-suit
    --> Any pointers here?

I won't be spending too much time weekly on these sports with my back injury/pain but not letting that deter me either.

Many Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ~ Out surfing today and I was falling over just standing in the water waiting to get on my surf-board , such was the strength of the water

I'm not entirely qualified to help, I'm sure there's much better surfers here that will give you much better advice, but it sounds like you were out in heavy conditions, lots of waves very close to each other battering you? Try calmer conditions when the waves are smaller and further apart. Wait for a lull in the waves, walk out and when you feel you can't walk any further, push you board in front of you and jump on to it, preferably over a wave. Arch your back and paddle hard bringing your hands under the board.
    Any tips for maintaining balance whilst standing up-right against the waves until I get on my board?

Again, wait for a calmer day and wait for a lull. It will happen, you'll notice the waves aren't coming in strong and fast. Head out then.

As a beginner, you don't have to get out back, you can always just turn around when the water is chest high and surf the white foamy waves in to shore. Start by doing it on your belly and get the feel of it. Gradually try and stand up. A surf school might help you to not pick up bad habits.
    Any tips for maintaining that last piece of continuous confidence to continually jump-up. I'm still building my confidence and found it tough today to continuously stand-up :confused:

Not sure if you mean popping up when the wave is behind you?
    With this now and my kayaking I'm thinking of investing in a wet-suit
    --> Any pointers here?

Kayaking suits are different to surf suits. A surf suit won't be comfortable kayaking and a kayaking suit will need a kag, deck, buoyancy aid to suit in the colder months.

I'd suggest surf lessons and very strongly recommend a canoe club for kayaking... members and instructors will give you priceless advice and introduce you to second hand gear.
    I won't be spending too much time weekly on these sports with my back injury/pain but not letting that deter me either

Hopefully the sports will help with your injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauld81

Right advice so far, make sure you stick within your depth, very common that everyone thinks you need to be way out back to be good or look like a surfer!
    My best advice on both disciplines is get at least one lesson, ask can you bring your own equipment, but practice and get warmed up on the foam board or learner kayak. This will engage your brain with the activity and when you do take out your own equipment the instructor will be better placed to give advice and coaching.
    Check out the surf coaching video110%, some great tips.
    Try joining a club for your sport and go swimming, it's the foundation of surfing and you'll do allot of it learning to kayak! Plus it's very good for low impact training.
    Best of luck, hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thanks so much for your advice & guidance above in here ^^^

~ Can't join a club as won't be able to sustain that much surfing with my back
    ~ I have a pars defect in my lower spine (swimming has been ruled out by a NeuroSurgeon) but this was something I've wanted to master/at very least improve on
    ~ Done some lessons but confidence ain't great at the moment and my back pain (even with pain-killers) kicked in during my last session
    ~ Body-boarding for me is okay
    ~ I can surf in short sessions at the moment, just not continuous over long periods, maybe in time if my back improves

~ I just rent gear & equipment at the moment, but was thinking of buying to make it easier.

My body was in bits/pain after the last surf session, much more so than when I go kayaking against the elements.

~ I am just surfing for fun while I can; as a way to release tension and anger; and to just get creative with my sporting activities to be fit & active :)

I must get more scans done in a few months and see how the pars defect has changed since my last MRI & CT to give me better idea for longer term activities and sports. Wonder what the NeuroSurgeon would say...

The advice about arching my back & paddling out sounds good. Practice is key. Surfing for me is just something new & different for me to try and not look back in 20years wondering why not :o I have an injury, but not to the point that I'm willing to put my life on hold over.

Thanks again for your advice,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Have you tried bodyboarding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Geomy wrote: »

While youre at it have you tried Herpies?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

cpoh1 wrote: »
    While youre at it have you tried Herpies?

Jeez, that's a bit harsh - i mean herpes may look bad for a while, a bit of anti fungal cream and it clears right up. No amount of cream will ever make sponging look better!

Advertisement