Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

98 Micra/March auto squealing noise

Options
  • 21-02-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hey

I have a 98 Nissan March that started squealing today. Only low speeds/low gears, it's fine when I get going, but the noise is really loud and it's freaking me out.

I have an NCT retest on Wednesday, just for emissions but I'm worried this noise is too obvious and they'll fail it on whatever is wrong here.

Also worried, you know, that it's dangerous.

Any ideas?

I was going to change the spark plugs, air, oil filters and oil on Sunday to get it ready for the emmissions test. Is there something I can check -- belts maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

sounds like the fan belt is very worn or loose or both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Garth wrote: »
    Hey

I have a 98 Nissan March that started squealing today. Only low speeds/low gears, it's fine when I get going, but the noise is really loud and it's freaking me out.

I have an NCT retest on Wednesday, just for emissions but I'm worried this noise is too obvious and they'll fail it on whatever is wrong here.

Also worried, you know, that it's dangerous.

Any ideas?

I was going to change the spark plugs, air, oil filters and oil on Sunday to get it ready for the emmissions test. Is there something I can check -- belts maybe?

Presumably you're doing more then just servicing it for the emissions retest?

For the noise, it's likely to be a worn auxiliary belt or belts but its really impossible to guess without hearing the noise.
    Does the noise go away if you rev the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Hi,

Sorry! For some reason I'm not getting the boards notifications that there have been replies.

I took my car to the mechanic yesterday and they said they changed the fan belt. It was a horrific noise that went away in higher gears.

RE: emissions retest

I'd been told by several people that doing that, adding cleaner stuff to the petrol and taking it to, say, Longford, and back, just before the test should bring down the emissions. Is there anything else I should be doing? I was stupid last time -- car had been off the road a while, and cold when it was brought (5 mins down the road) for the NCT.

I'll take any advice. It's my car's last year on the road - had to have sills welded and dude said next year there will be nothing to weld to, so I just need to get it through the NCT and drive legally for a couple of months and do some car shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd been told by several people that doing that, adding cleaner stuff to the petrol and taking it to, say, Longford, and back, just before the test should bring down the emissions.
    Dipetane has been mentioned here a good few times for helping to reduce emissions. It won't work miracles though.

It depends how far away from Longford you are! :) The main thing is to give the car a good run to clear out the crap. This is best done by driving for an extended period in a lower gear and allowing the engine to rev higher than normal.

On your automatic car, you should be able to put the lever into '2' or whatever instead of 'D' so it won't change up to its highest gear. Don't scream it, obviously.

Not your ornery onager

It'll be the best part of 2 hours driving, and I have a switch "Over drive off" that knocks it into 4 (I think) instead of switching up to 5, so it helps the revs.

I have dipetane in the tank right now, so hopefully, it'll pass. It wasn't HUGELY over, so hopefully this will do the trick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It'll be the best part of 2 hours driving, and I have a switch "Over drive off" that knocks it into 4 (I think) instead of switching up to 5, so it helps the revs.

I have dipetane in the tank right now, so hopefully, it'll pass. It wasn't HUGELY over, so hopefully this will do the trick.
    You don't need to drive it for 2 hours - 30 minutes should be plenty. I would still go with a lower gear rather than just switching the O/D off.

Not your ornery onager

Excellent! You've saved me petrol. I will find a dodgey country road and drive in 2nd for a while :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi,

Sorry! For some reason I'm not getting the boards notifications that there have been replies.

I took my car to the mechanic yesterday and they said they changed the fan belt. It was a horrific noise that went away in higher gears.

I'd been told by several people that doing that, adding cleaner stuff to the petrol and taking it to, say, Longford, and back, just before the test should bring down the emissions. Is there anything else I should be doing? I was stupid last time -- car had been off the road a while, and cold when it was brought (5 mins down the road) for the NCT.

I'll take any advice. It's my car's last year on the road - had to have sills welded and dude said next year there will be nothing to weld to, so I just need to get it through the NCT and drive legally for a couple of months and do some car shopping.

A service and a good drive will only help with an emissions issue if they there were the cause, which is very unlikely.

If, as is much more likely, it failed emissions due to a faulty part, lambda sensor, catalytic converter, Airflow/MAP sensor etc etc, then no amount of driving or servicing will have any effect.

Post your emissions fail results up here and we can give you an idea of the cause.

Hi! Finally found my NCT sheet.

Emissions:

Failed on high idle

Lamda 0.98 pass
    CO 0.48vol% fail (above 0.30%)
    HC 43 ppm

Advertisement