Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capital Allowances Question

• 05-12-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

Hi All,

I need help with this Capital Allowances question... I've read all the books etc but I just can't seem to get my head around it.
    Can anybody tell me the layout of the answer... this is where I'm getting stuck... I don't know how to actually calculate it. Depreciation always gets me confused.

Thanks! :):)

Cresswell plc is considering investing in a new product.

• An initial investment of €800,000 would be required comprising plant and machinery of €500,000 and working capital of €300,000. The investment would last for 4 years.

• Additional sales revenue would be generated at €400,000 per year and additional production costs would be €180,000 per year.

• Additional fixed costs of €20,000 per year would be incurred and in addition the company would allocate fixed costs to the project of €15,000 per year.

• At the end of the project's life (year four) the machinery would be sold for €80,000 and the working capital could be recovered in full in year five..

• The Company uses straight line depreciation.

• For a project of this nature the company use a 10% discount rate.

You are required to

iii. Explain the effects tax has on project appraisal. You are told that Cresswell pays tax at 30% and that capital allowances are available at 12.5% on a straight line basis on the machinery. Recalculate the NPV on this basis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Assuming you have done the computation without the inclusion of the tax benefits of Capital Allowances.

So you have 500,000 x 12.5% = 62,500 in cap alls so a tax reduction of 7,812.50 each year.

In year 4 you will have a balancing allowance which will reduce your tax bill that year.

Advertisement