Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For those using 8600M GT

Options
  • 30-10-2007 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I heard many people say 8600M GT is not capable of running latest games at high res.. that's not true..

8600M GT..even the DDR2 version that comes with vostro/inspiron is not that bad..just use a proper modded driver in XP .. it can be very very close to 7900gs..I'm running Civilization VI at 1920*1200, Dreamfall Longest Journey 2 at 1920*1200, The Elder Scroll IV Oblivion at 1280*800 with high & 4xAA C&C3 at 1680*1050 with mid graphic.. get quite good fps...haven't measured by fraps yet..but comfortable enough. maybe these are not the the most resource demanding game around atm, but still very impressive for such a mid-range graphic card. :D

The point is to use WINDOWS XP + a modded driver (coz' there's no driver released for xp yet)

A quick comparison

3dmark06, (1280*800, no AA):
    Windows Vista + Dell Official Driver v101.43 Score:3102
    Windows XP + modded driver v167.26 Score: 3978

3dmark05 (1280*800, 2AA)
    Windows Vista + Dell Official Driver v101.43 Score:4890
    Windows XP + modded driver v167.26 Score: 5912

30% difference is huge.... you see how crappy the OFFICIAL driver is..

For hard-core gamers, 8600M GT is quite good for OC.. you should get a over 4000 score in 3dmark06... which makes it virtually another 7900GS with DX10 support.. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Any chance of a link to the driver. or are they illegal or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Civilization IV? C&C 3? I love how you use older and less intensive games as an example! Try running Bioshock, Unreal 3, Stranglehold, Medal of Honor Airborne at 1680x1050 and enjoy your slideshow. Oblivion, C&C, Civ IV are not the latest games either! So try to be a bit fair in your comments.

C&C runs pretty well on even Intels old GMA900, so I think that speaks for itself. :)

also your comparisons are pretty much Null considering the drivers you're comparing are running on different OS. While I agree that modded drivers are much better, you can't really provide a benchmark like that and expect it to hold weight.

I can get about 3,500 on my 1500 with Vista and 163.44 I haven't tried any of the newer ones yet, haven't had time.

edit: www.laptopvideo2go.com, no, not illegal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭lovetwix

Civilization IV? C&C 3? I love how you use older and less intensive games as an example! Try running Bioshock, Unreal 3, Stranglehold, Medal of Honor Airborne at 1680x1050 and enjoy your slideshow. Oblivion, C&C, Civ IV are not the latest games either! So try to be a bit fair in your comments.

C&C runs pretty well on even Intels old GMA900, so I think that speaks for itself. :)

also your comparisons are pretty much Null considering the drivers you're comparing are running on different OS. While I agree that modded drivers are much better, you can't really provide a benchmark like that and expect it to hold weight.

I can get about 3,500 on my 1500 with Vista and 163.44 I haven't tried any of the newer ones yet, haven't had time.

hey dude..I said they are not the latest game :o

C&C3 and oblivion are still standard benchmarking games..and since I'm not a fan of those crazy FPS games.. that's why i didn't try things like bioshock..lost of planet. cod4..etc.. real hard-core gamers should wait for 8800M which will come in a few weeks
    "C&C runs pretty well on even Intels old GMA900"

did you actually try that or just heard from someone else... maybe you are talking about running under 640*480 @ low details..:eek: my old ATI X1400 can't even run it smoothly under 1024*768 @ mid graphics..

and for Oblivion...it's still one of the most resource demanding games so far.
    also your comparisons are pretty much Null considering the drivers you're comparing are running on different OS.

Please...The point of this post is about MODDED DRIVERS.. not about OS..and I didn't say vista is worse than xp..although it's well known that using current driver, xp could deliver a slightly better performance over vista..

Even if you don't believe those games I tried.. 3978 in 3dmark06 is good enough anyway.. as I said.. a DDR2 version of 8600M GT is virtually a 7900GS if using a proper driver..
    and DDR3 version outperforms 7900GS for sure..

for latest modded drivers. go http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showforum=72 ..

Thanks for the link man :) . I just got the laptop today. I have to say, I am dissappointed with the screen, I did not go for truelife as I don't like glair and thats what truelife gives you supposedly. But the colour of this screen just seems to be completely washed out :( .

Thanks for the link man :) . I just got the laptop today. I have to say, I am dissappointed with the screen, I did not go for truelife as I don't like glair and thats what truelife gives you supposedly. But the colour of this screen just seems to be completely washed out :( .

my 1920*1200 screen is terrific when playing 1080p HD clips...... .. also great for programming or graphic design, huge workspace ...

the only problem is the default-size text in browsers are too small to read... -_-b it's kill my eyes to read online books...

• Advertisement

lovetwix wrote: »
    my 1920*1200 screen is terrific when playing 1080p HD clips...... .. also great for programming or graphic design, huge workspace ...

the only problem is the default-size text in browsers are too small to read... -_-b it's kill my eyes to read online books...

Do you have trulife or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

i got truelife on my vostro and I love it!...

I tried looking at that www.laptopvideo2go.com site before and couldn't for the life of me figure it out!! I like to think I'm not totally stupid, but that site made me feel like a complete novice when it came to anything technical!

I wanted to get a driver for the 8600M GT card for my vostro and
    1 - couldn't see what number(?!) to go for - 165.01, 163.76, 163.75 - could they make it any more vague...
    2 - when trying to install the random drivers I downloaded (under XP 32bit with a high number of downloads) they just flat out wouldn't install for me

I eventually gave up. Could anyone please tell me what I was missing??!!

First of all, make sure you have the right drivers for your OS.

Uninstall the current ones in the add/remove programs, and then use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all traces on your system (google it, it's free). Restart your laptop.

Download the driver you want, and make sure to download the modded INF with it, and then overwrite the original INF with the new one. You need that to install the drivers on mobile cards.

I'm not really sure what are the best drivers right now though, still using 163.44 myself which are better then the stock drivers. Must upgrade soon.

HavoK is right.. Uninstall, Download, Overwrite the modded INF,and Install

I didn't use any driver cleaning software though.. add/remove programs work fine for me..

For the best driver, I would suggest 167.26.. but there's no harm to give 169.xx a try.

• Advertisement

Sweet, will try that later. Thanks a million.

ah, I think I did it in the wrong order last time 'round....

tried to install (after removing the old drive) without first overwriting the inf file. Was going to do that after but kept getting an error with the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Anyone have any luck overclocking this sucker?

Ive tried tons of drivers aswell as using ntune,atitool and RT but im getting varied results and none of the settings stick!

I'm using Rivatuner and 169.04, seems to work OK, but I haven't done any benches with the clocks at stock within rivatuner, so maybe they aren't sticking and I just don't realise it...

I'll test it out later. I actually suspect they aren't sticking, given that in COH I got about 5% performance increase, with the newer drivers which are supposed to be much better anyway. I'd be expecting more of a gain with an OC...

Can you even get AtiTool to work? I can't get it to work whatsoever with any version on Vista...

Im using XP though Dave, seems others have had trouble too but I have managed to get it to work with 169.01 using ntune. Haven't tried att or rt yet, but my 3dmark scores leave alot to be desired after overclocking.

Im pretty sure I got ~3500 stock with whichever driver I used first (I've prob downloaded and deleted about 20 at this stage) And now with 169.01 and 500/450 im getting ~3200!

Actually looks like mine aren't sticking either, Gpu-Z still reports as standard clocks. I'm not overly pushed again though, as I don't really play demanding games but it is a bit annoying. Definitely though, I'm getting increases with 169.04 over 163.44 which in turn was better then what came with the machine. Will run 3dMark tonight and see what I get...

3,547 in 06. Thats an increase of 153 marks, just with newer driver.

4300 @ 610/485 not finished yet though. Reckon another gig of ram would be good too.

Advertisement