Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dab radio in Aldi today. Would this be a decent buy?

Options
  • 31-07-2014 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Not that knowledgeable on DAB radios etc, so unsure if this would be a bargain, or if argos/Amazon etc would have something cheaper or better spec.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-31st-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/vintage-style-dab-fm-radio/

Mrs String has been asking for a decent radio for the kitchen now for quite some time, so I noticed this in an Aldi flyer and thought I'd ask for opinions.

Kinda thinking this looks nice, but if something is out there better specced (internet radio for example) I'll go there.

As my dad always says, if you're not sure. Ask.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Only any use if you actually have DAB in your area - that's basically the larger cities and the North East for the RTE service, Dublin for the Dublin trial and Waterford for the Total Broadcast trial.

You don't get a huge amount more than without DAB. Lyric may be slightly higher quality than FM, the rest are the same as solid FM if you've got good DAB signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm just outside Naas MYOB.

i'd guess there wouldn't be much dab coverage here, no point in buying it at near 50 euro if an Fm radio would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

I'm in Maynooth, DAB has about 8 stations, the RTE's and a few randomers I've never hearad of before Ri-Ra is one of them.

I don't even bother with it anymore and just use the FM.

The radio does look well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Its a nice looking radio but from my experience DAB in Ireland is rubbish, like Staplor posted not an awful lot of choice and certainly no different to an FM radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Argos have this one which gets mostly positive reviews and is €27.99. Looks to have similar specs to the Aldi one

67-1414798UC1435812M.jpg

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1414798/Trail/searchtext%3EDAB.htm

Also worth a look in Tesco as they often reduce the DAB radios to very little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

get an internet radio, DAB is pretty much dead

Thanks lindtee

sweetie wrote: »

Seem to be very expensive though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm just outside Naas MYOB.

i'd guess there wouldn't be much dab coverage here, no point in buying it at near 50 euro if an Fm radio would suffice?

You'd probably get the RTE stations (the normal ones plus Gold, Pulse, 2XM and Junior) but that's it.

That Argos radio is deaf as a post reception-wise - I bought it and returned it as it couldn't get signal indoors in Maynooth whereas my three Pure units can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seem to be very expensive though.

Any good bluetooth speaker like the cambridge minx or the logitech ones that are often reduced on bargain alerts and a smartphone with tunein app gives you a plethora of internet radio. Or see what they have on special in the richer sounds forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Internet radio isn't going to replace DAB (or FM) any time soon because of bandwidth issues. As usual, RTE were way behind the curve in implementing DAB, so people have been slow to take it up as there are so few options available. I'm lucky in that I have good DAB radio coverage at home and it's a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I bought a DAB radio when there was a bargin but have it in my camper, never picked up one station on it on DAB but it also has FM so it's ok.

Any good bluetooth speaker like the cambridge minx or the logitech ones that are often reduced on bargain alerts and a smartphone with tunein app gives you a plethora of internet radio. Or see what they have on special in the richer sounds forum.

Yeah, was actually thinking on this option earlier. :)

Gonna check out Argos / Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

I saw this in the Aldi flyer, can't say I'm very impressed with either the price or the product. It appears to have only a single speaker, so crystal clear radio in mono? Somewhat defeats the purpose I'd have thought.

And unrelated to the BA, I think DAB will go the way of Betamax, Mini Discs and HD-DVD; superior technology that never took off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

The Aldi one doesn't appear to have stereo speakers, {unless there is two speakers hiding underneath that grill}, a 'mono dab' would be pointless.

Another very important thing to look for is 'headphone out' socket, as this can be used as a 'line out' to a proper hifi/stereo (most hifi/amps have 'aux or line in' facility).
    The 'line in/out' wire or even headphones themselves on some models will also act as an antenna so a 10ft line cable will help to pick up more channels.
    Digital presets and remote control are also ideal features.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Agree with above - DAB has been badly managed in Ireland. You'll have more choice on FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭jeffk

DAB WAS great,the Da got one years ago and got loads of stations on it.
    Then one day he says to me I can only get RTE on it and its been the same ever since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I thought DAB was internet radio?

How does this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

From the user's point of view it works the same as a normal FM radio. They have a standard telescopic aerial. The difference is that the signal is a digital. Think about the old analogue TV and now we have digital TV. As an earlier poster said, the quality is better but it is only available in certain areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

There is an app call "Tune In" Google it.

Every radio station in Ireland is there and probably the world and it's free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Problem was dab was advertised as cd quality yada yada, then it came out at low bitrate mpeg 2 and noone wanted it, its been a total flop in the uk to. A better speaker / stereo speakers / connecting it to your hi-fi just highlights the low quality. It would make more sense if someone produced a dvb radio to receive the higher quality / far more widely available saorview/freeview broadcasts.

moodrater wrote: »
    Problem was dab was advertised as cd quality yada yada, then it came out at low bitrate mpeg 2 and noone wanted it, its been a total flop in the uk to. A better speaker / stereo speakers / connecting it to your hi-fi just highlights the low quality. It would make more sense if someone produced a dvb radio to receive the higher quality / far more widely available saorview/freeview broadcasts.

Disagree, BBC Radio 6 Music's listening figures have overtaken those of BBC Radio 3 for the first time. An average weekly audience of 1.89m tuned in to the 'digital-only' station over the last quarter, a 5.5% increase on the same period last year.

Superior to FM broadcasts, good speakers/monitors confirm this further and often stations are ad-free.

You can also just connect your freeview tv-radio to an amp also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Disagree, BBC Radio 6 Music's listening figures have overtaken those of BBC Radio 3 for the first time. An average weekly audience of 1.89m tuned in to the 'digital-only' station over the last quarter, a 5.5% increase on the same period last year.

I listen to 6 music all the time like most other people via a smartphone/tablet and podcasts how many of the 6 music listeners do you really think are on dab.

I thought DAB was internet radio?

How does this work?

VHF Band III using MPEG1 Layer 2 audio encoding.

Anyone who hasn't got unlimited 24/7 broadband with supportive media device, but do have a 'free service' DAB radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Joe Doe wrote: »

Superior to FM broadcasts, good speakers/monitors confirm this further and often stations are ad-free.

You can also just connect your freeview tv-radio to an amp also.

Loads of Friends in the UK that would be very much into BBC Radio 6. None of them Use DAB. They tend to listen on their Phones, On their computers, on Their WiFi Radio's, On their Freeview TVs and on Satellite. All those are digital and are counted as well as DAB.

Connecting up an Amp to most of those gives you a decent sound. Not the case with DAB. Also The signal is poor to say the least in many places. Perfect FM for BBC 2 and 3 but garbled on DAB, (this is in areas with high population) and even when you can get a signal "it's sounds wrong" not my words but the words of someone who's big into their music.

DAB will continue in the UK because it's a good replacement for AM when it works. Talk Stations such as BBC Radio 5 and Talksport are much improved on DAB. Far less so Music.

It's died a death here as in many parts of Europe, Only half the population can receive it and almost no one knows about it. I have a DAB radio and I never use it. If there was more choice I would. By the time RTE get their act together the world will have moved on, many would say it already has. FM will remain the dominant delivery system here for at least another decade or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dunka

Dab Radio is rubbish in Ireland.. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭toxicloan365

Dunka wrote: »
    Dab Radio is rubbish in Ireland.. Avoid.

Current DAB stations;

RTÉ Radio 1
    RTÉ 2FM
    RTÉ Lyric
    RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta

RTÉ Gold
    RTÉ 2XM
    RTÉ Junior
    RTÉ Pulse
    RTÉ Radio 1 Extra

Zenith
    Raidio Ri-Ra
    Sunshine Radio
    UCB

Fantastic ad-free music content on RTÉ Gold, Zenith. Sunshine can be good, as well.

Nice to dip into unusual documentaries and global radio output on RTÉ Radio 1 Extra.

Nice text headlines service from The Irish Times, as well.

Technology is ahead of the curve as they have they capability to braodcast in DAB+ standards, as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Current DAB stations;

RTÉ Radio 1
    RTÉ 2FM
    RTÉ Lyric
    RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta

RTÉ Gold
    RTÉ 2XM
    RTÉ Junior
    RTÉ Pulse
    RTÉ Radio 1 Extra

Zenith
    Raidio Ri-Ra
    Sunshine Radio
    UCB

Fantastic ad-free music content on RTÉ Gold, Zenith. Sunshine can be good, as well.

Nice to dip into unusual documentaries and global radio output on RTÉ Radio 1 Extra.

Nice text headlines service from The Irish Times, as well.

Technology is ahead of the curve as they have they capability to braodcast in DAB+ standards, as well.

Small problem there is that this Radio only appears to be DAB. The Technology is dated right now, DAB+ is an improvement but RTE have made no statement about using DAB+ . if they did I'd like to find a radio on sale in Ireland with DAB+. Most that I see only have DAB. Plus the content might be good but the sound quality is poor if you're listening on anything bigger than a portable radio.

• Advertisement

RTÉ Pulse + BBC1Xtra both bangin' with no ads,
    few other stations along the M1/EastCoast inc. Abs80/90's, PlanetRock, TeamRock, Kiss, Capital and more localised random ones.

DAB'+' is still a way off i.e. next gen...

You can also supplement antenna cheaply with diy 'silver foiled' items as per 'wifi boosting' (see lifehacks).

FM will always be around as it has much lower power drain,
    and has uses in interphones, intercoms/monitors
    - and most importantly PMR/WalkieT's which should work even after a EMP/shtf type event...

Advertisement