Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony KDL42W829B + 5 years Warranty + Free Bluetooth Sound Bar €700

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need a Saoirview ariel to view Irish channels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Can I get all the Irish channels in HD with Saoirview?

Only rte 1 and 2 are hd at the moment. Tg4hd is available on Upc for the last year or more so it might come to saorview at some stage. Tv3 who knows if it ever will be hd. They struggle to broadcast sd well let alone hd.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

What are people's opinions of the sound bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

I got the non-bluetooth version of the sound bar (HT-CT60), so I can't comment on its bluetooth audio streaming sound quality. When I used it on the week the TV was bought, I thought it did add depth to the TV's sound. It's a 2.1 system so the surround effect doesn't compare with my dedicated 5.1 home theater system. I thought it was nice to be able to control the TV from the little soundbar remote.

I had planned to use it for bluetooth audio streaming, but I can't do that with the HT-CT60 sound bar I received.

When I realized the bluetooth feature was missing, I was told by the retailer I only got what they had in stock. It's back in it's original box since last Thursday as I have been trying to exchange it for the bluetooth version. I'll be unpacking it again this evening as someone claiming to be from Sony called me this afternoon to say it cannot be exchanged.

I do wish I was informed that there were two versions of this sound bar when making my purchase, as I knew other retailers offered a bluetooth sound bar when I was shopping around. I assumed every retailer would have the same model and so did not check the sound bar model number while making my purchase.

C'est la vie.

[Edit: Thanks to all who posted the model number of the sound bar you got]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Ive had the 50 inch tv for a few days now and I'm very happy with it. I was wondering if anyone else who has bought it has fund a decent iOS app to control it?
    Also is there a way of disabling the annoying sound every time you press a button on the remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 test012345

Double C wrote: »
    Also is there a way of disabling the annoying sound every time you press a button on the remote?

Go To Top Right Corner Settings-> Sound -> key tone - off

johnybean, how did you get on, did you get your TV replaced, and were you charged for it?

johnybean wrote: »
    Telly arrived today and I thought I would never get home from work! Got jobs done and kids to bed. Took telly out of the box only to discover a nasty crack on the side of the screen. Looks like the screen has actually popped our from the frame on one spot, what to do now? Got it from Sony letterkenny so hopefully it's just a matter of swapping cracked telly for new one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

johnybean, how did you get on, did you get your TV replaced, and were you charged for it?

I contacted Sony Letterkenny on Saturday morning and Paul said that they would replace the set no hassle. He sent a courier on Tuesday to collect the broken set but I am still waiting for the replacement one because Paul did not have any in stock so the new TV has to come from UK. The fact that it is over 50" is also adding a bit of a delay.
    I have to say that Paul has been an absolute joy to deal with throughout this whole process, he has been helpful and available at all times and I would recommend that anyone who is reading this thread and considering getting this TV would be mad to get it anywhere else but at Sony Lettekenny. They are the cheapest in Ireland, they have free delivery, they send out the Bluetooth soundbar and as has been pointed out several times in this thread, their staff (Paul in particular) are fantastic to deal with.
    I will update when I do eventually get the TV.

I'm glad you're getting this sorted out with no trouble. Keep us posted when your new TV arrives!

I wish I had listened to my wife who wanted to buy it from Sony Letterkenny - I had spoken to Paul while shopping around and he was a pleasure to speak with. He was offering the 50" for 930 with next day delivery & also said it came with the bluetooth soundbar.

Unfortunately, Sony's customer relations inability to resolve this to my satisfaction has made it unlikely that I will buy a Sony again. I was considering a Sony UHD TV for Christmas, but have since removed it from my shortlist.

• Advertisement

O my God!!!

If you are going to buy a TV in the not too distant future, buy the 55" Sony KDL 8 series....Oh my GOD.

And if you are going to buy this TV, or any of the Sony TVs on offer, then you have to get it from Sony Letterkenny store. They are the cheapest, the easiest to deal with and the least hassle.

Finally got the TV delivered yesterday and hung on the wall last night. Set it up using the setting linked to in page 4 of this thread (linky) which made a massive difference to the picture quality, credit and thanks to test012345 for that. Turning off the auto dimming in eco mode made a huge difference. The set is phenomenal! I played a few 1080P rips and they all look amazing. I also played around with a few 3D movie rips but I wasnt massively impressed, this is not a slight on the television but more to do with the fact that I actually wear glasses all the time so sticking on a second pair of glasses is not quiet the immersive experience the filmmakers were hoping for :D
    I will however say, the few minutes I watched of Hugo was pretty cool.

Sky tv looks pretty good, SD content is ok but HD content is perfect. Again, could be down to older hardware and cabling as opposed to the tv. Haven't managed to get the ARC connection working with the sky box to control it with the Sony remote but will have a look at the weekend.
    I haven't hooked up any of the tuners yet so cant comment on that (Guess when that is going to get done :D)
    Apps are fine, Netflix works perfectly and having the button on the remote is handy. Youtube app also worked perfectly. haven't tried out anything else but the only other apps I saw which would be of any use would be tv3 player and tg4 player. Will test these out when I get a chance.
    Sound is really good considering the thinness of the tv. I didnt have a chance to get the soundbar going (got the bluetooth version) as I have wall mounted the TV and am trying to figure out a way to possibly mount the soundbar under the TV, a job for the weekend methinks ;)
    TL;DR
    Buy this TV, get the biggest size you can (I replaced a 5 year old 40 inch Sony and even herself noted that the 55" didn't look ridiculously big when mounted), buy it from Letterkenny Sony, do it now.

Did you win the ps4??

Did you win the ps4??
    Unfortunately not :(
    Got one hell of a bargain though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Unfortunately not :(
    Got one hell of a bargain though!!

what's the price of the 55" johny?

Didn't win it either. I got the 50 inch and I'm delighted with it so far. One complaint I'd have is accessing files from my PC over the network. I have Plex installed on the PC but it's very hit and miss whether the tv picks up the connection or not. Has anyone come across an alternative way of doing this? Also when it does work the Plex client on the tv is very basic, doesn't pull in the artwork, would there be any alternatives to this?

ablelocks wrote: »
    what's the price of the 55" johny?

Paid €1190 for 55" with BT soundbar, 5 year warranty and delivery all included. Cheapest I have seen it elsewhere is around €1400~€1500...No brainer really:)

Didn't win it either. I got the 50 inch and I'm delighted with it so far. One complaint I'd have is accessing files from my PC over the network. I have Plex installed on the PC but it's very hit and miss whether the tv picks up the connection or not. Has anyone come across an alternative way of doing this? Also when it does work the Plex client on the tv is very basic, doesn't pull in the artwork, would there be any alternatives to this?

Only had a quick look at it myself but I believe that its not a Plex client on the TV but the inbuilt DLNA client that accesses the files from your Plex server. As far as I know Samsung are the only ones who have a dedicated Plex app. I have an Ouya with xbmc which I use for all media files, will probably change this for one of the new baytrail nucs running Openelec as the Ouya is starting to slow down a bit especially when doing a library scan at startup. Im going to give setting up a MySQl databse one last try and then call it quits and just get the nuc, have to pay off the telly first though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Can anybody confirm that the warranty you receive with the televisions purchased in Reynolds is the legitimate Sony 5-year warranty?

FreeFallin wrote: »
    Can anybody confirm that the warranty you receive with the televisions purchased in Reynolds is the legitimate Sony 5-year warranty?

Warranty is not provided by seller,it is directly supported by Sony as far as I am aware so it doesn't matter who you buy from,the warranty is with Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Warranty is not provided by seller,it is directly supported by Sony as far as I am aware so it doesn't matter who you buy from,the warranty is with Sony

That's what I would expect, and what the store themselves say. What got me thinking was something another retailer mentioned about that particular warranty not being with Sony.

No real reason to doubt the Letterkenny store in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i asked that question on avforums and was told its the retailer and not sony providing the 5 year warranty. Otherwise why weren't Currys, DID etc advertising it??
    When i asked in Currys i was told there was no 5 year warranty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Scruff wrote: »
    i asked that question on avforums and was told its the retailer and not sony providing the 5 year warranty. Otherwise why weren't Currys, DID etc advertising it??
    When i asked in Currys i was told there was no 5 year warranty...

Powercity told me that it was Sony Ireland providing the warranty. Currys told me they don't get the warranty because they buy all their stock from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is from Sony. You fill in your details on a form you get from the store you bought it and along with a copy of your receipt, post them to Sony, they then in turn write back to you with confirmation that your product is covered and details of the extended warranty.

I asked Sony customer support this very question and was told that the warranty is from Sony and not the retailer.

Has anyone received the 5-year warranty certificate as yet? I had posted mine by registered post to an address in the UK.

Good to hear you have received your replacement TV with the BT bar from the Letterkenny Sony Center so swiftly and at no additional cost. That is the kind of customer experience I had hoped to have from the local retailer that I bought from when I discovered they gave me a non-BT soundbar.

The 50" was bought as a stopgap to watch the world cup until prices on the 70" UHD's fall. I would have bought the 55" had I known it was only around 100 Euro more than what I paid for the 50".

Technologically, it's a fine TV, I like the keyword search that finds related content on YouTube, and the hard drive recording and WiDI mirroring just works. The TV does crash at times when changing satellite channels, and my wife finds the interface is not as intuitive as a Panasonic, but we're happy with the screen's 2D picture & the 3D on the couple of movies we've bought, (Jurassic Park, IMAX Hubble, The Great Gatsby).

For anyone interested in 3D, and wondering why things don't jump out at you from the screen on some movies, I found this site to be quite informative - http://realorfake3d.com/

O my God!!!

If you are going to buy a TV in the not too distant future, buy the 55" Sony KDL 8 series....Oh my GOD.

And if you are going to buy this TV, or any of the Sony TVs on offer, then you have to get it from Sony Letterkenny store. They are the cheapest, the easiest to deal with and the least hassle.

Finally got the TV delivered yesterday and hung on the wall last night. Set it up using the setting linked to in page 4 of this thread (linky) which made a massive difference to the picture quality, credit and thanks to test012345 for that. Turning off the auto dimming in eco mode made a huge difference. The set is phenomenal! I played a few 1080P rips and they all look amazing. I also played around with a few 3D movie rips but I wasnt massively impressed, this is not a slight on the television but more to do with the fact that I actually wear glasses all the time so sticking on a second pair of glasses is not quiet the immersive experience the filmmakers were hoping for :D
    I will however say, the few minutes I watched of Hugo was pretty cool.

Sky tv looks pretty good, SD content is ok but HD content is perfect. Again, could be down to older hardware and cabling as opposed to the tv. Haven't managed to get the ARC connection working with the sky box to control it with the Sony remote but will have a look at the weekend.
    I haven't hooked up any of the tuners yet so cant comment on that (Guess when that is going to get done :D)
    Apps are fine, Netflix works perfectly and having the button on the remote is handy. Youtube app also worked perfectly. haven't tried out anything else but the only other apps I saw which would be of any use would be tv3 player and tg4 player. Will test these out when I get a chance.
    Sound is really good considering the thinness of the tv. I didnt have a chance to get the soundbar going (got the bluetooth version) as I have wall mounted the TV and am trying to figure out a way to possibly mount the soundbar under the TV, a job for the weekend methinks ;)
    TL;DR
    Buy this TV, get the biggest size you can (I replaced a 5 year old 40 inch Sony and even herself noted that the 55" didn't look ridiculously big when mounted), buy it from Letterkenny Sony, do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 test012345

I asked Sony customer support this very question and was told that the warranty is from Sony and not the retailer.

Has anyone received the 5-year warranty certificate as yet? I had posted mine by registered post to an address in the UK.

Just received 5 years warranty letter from Sony UK, Warranty has been registered by Pual Sony Centre Letterkenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

I received mine back from Sony about a week after I posted the details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Forgive me but I don't see this answered. Is this offer still on?

test012345 wrote: »
    Just received 5 years warranty letter from Sony UK, Warranty has been registered by Pual Sony Centre Letterkenny

Did you request this or was it sent automatically for every order?

Edit: never mind it was in the post when I got home at lunchtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Delofan

Got my 5 year warranty too from Sony in the post today.

Had occasion to call to the Sony shop in Letterkenny last week. Bought a Sony dvd player bdp-s4200 for €95 from Paul to try out the 3D. He threw in a qood quality HD cable and two DVDs. Very impressed with the 3D version of "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs" not to mention the excellent service and no pressure to buy from Paul.

Advertisement