Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony KDL42W829B + 5 years Warranty + Free Bluetooth Sound Bar €700

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Hi, any body that won the ps4 have you received it yet, if so how long did it take.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭powerstation

Received my 5 year warranty in the post on Friday. I was expecting a fancy certificate after all the fuss of photocopying the receipts & posting them by registered mail. It's only a printout confirming that the warranty has been registered until 2019. They could done the whole thing online & via email :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 richie2005

bod71 wrote: »
    Hi, any body that won the ps4 have you received it yet, if so how long did it take.

I was lucky enough to win one. However I haven't got it yet. I sent in all the forms and confirmed they got them on the 28th June. Nothing since. I have been on to sony and all they will say is they do not have any further updates. It's meant to take a maximum 4 weeks. Patiently waiting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Has anyone have any problems registering the silver version of the 50 inch for the 5 year warranty? (KDL50W815B)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Is it possible to receive terrestrial and SATFREE (free to air) on a Sony KDL42W705bbu directly through the tv or will I still need a set top box? Apologies if this isn't the correct thread for my query. Perhaps somebody could advise me.

Thank you.

• Advertisement

Hi,

It does look like it can directly receive satellite transmissions from this review -

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl42w705b-201402233639.htm

The TV has an LNB connector where the satellite dish would be plugged into. See the first circle with the satellite dish icon on the lower left of this picture:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/image/hdtv/Sony-KDL42W705B/connections.jpg

Hope this helps.

Grats wrote: »
    Is it possible to receive terrestrial and SATFREE (free to air) on a Sony KDL42W705bbu directly through the tv or will I still need a set top box? Apologies if this isn't the correct thread for my query. Perhaps somebody could advise me.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Both offers are still going but minus the soundbar.

Hi,

It does look like it can directly receive satellite transmissions from this review -

The TV has an LNB connector where the satellite dish would be plugged into. See the first circle with the satellite dish icon on the lower left of this picture:

Hope this helps.

Many thanks for reply. Will try those connections and see what happens. Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Both offers are still going but minus the soundbar.

Where? Can't find the price online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Give letterkenny sony center a call. Free delivery within Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Just to say it all worked out. Terrestrial and satellite channels up and running.

Thanks for advise.

Glad to hear that. You're very welcome. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

I don't think that this is still available but let me relate a little thing that happened me y'day. The 7 series 42" version of this TV is on sale in PC world at the moment for 629 or so. I went to a more locally owned TV store in Kilkenny and they matched the price (stickered at 699) but said they couldn't do the 5 year warranty for that price as PC world didn't have it on theirs (not sure if this was true or not but that's what he said). I said OK that I'd buy on that basis and then at the end of the transaction he threw in the 5 year guarantee anyways. Happy to get it for that price and fair play to the salesman. Would have loved to have gotten the OPs original deal as it was much better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So a fantastic TV, a sound bar which I sold for 120 and a PS4 which I'm selling for 350 means I got the 50 inch for 450 including 5 year warranty (received today).

Bargain of the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

I am compelled to write here to thank Paul and team in Reynolds Electric Letterkenny. I bought the 50inch back in late June/Early July. Unfortunately when I opened the box a full 2 months later, there was damage to the tv. Even though it was after 28 days and there was no way to concretely prove when the damage occured, Paul sent out another brand new tv.

I have no doubt that many other retailers would have caused more of a fuss and I'm sure we would have had to come to some other arrangement, given the circumstances.

I would highly recommend the team in Reynolds Electric and will certainly buy from there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

FreeFallin wrote: »
    I am compelled to write here to thank Paul and team in Reynolds Electric Letterkenny. I bought the 50inch back in late June/Early July. Unfortunately when I opened the box a full 2 months later, there was damage to the tv. Even though it was after 28 days and there was no way to concretely prove when the damage occured, Paul sent out another brand new tv.

I have no doubt that many other retailers would have caused more of a fuss and I'm sure we would have had to come to some other arrangement, given the circumstances.

I would highly recommend the team in Reynolds Electric and will certainly buy from there again.

Fair play to them replacing it, just curious any reason you left it for 2 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Just a heads up for anybody still interested in this offer it will be available again from most retailers from the 15th october, spotted it on a euronics flyer €999 for 50" but will be cheaper from sony centers/ currys or harvey normans!

42" 50" and 55" + (free soundbar and 5 year warranty)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Wellactually

matrixf wrote: »
    Just a heads up for anybody still interested in this offer it will be available again from most retailers from the 15th october, spotted it on a euronics flyer €999 for 50" but will be cheaper from sony centers/ currys or harvey normans!

42" 50" and 55" + (free soundbar and 5 year warranty)

Was looking at 50inch in Harvey Norman for 949e, is it just Sony Centres doing this offer or how do you get it, I seen some posts saying free delivery etc.

Might as well wait a bit longer now :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭matrixf

Was looking at 50inch in Harvey Norman for 949e, is it just Sony Centres doing this offer or how do you get it, I seen some posts saying free delivery etc.

Might as well wait a bit longer now :)

Thanks

Its available from wednesday 15th of october , should be available in all major electrical retail stores inc sony centers and harvey norman

as i stated before i spotted the deal on a euronics flyer (€999 for 50" +soundbar+5 year warranty) but should be cheaper from currys, sony centers or harvey norman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

matrixf wrote: »
    Its available from wednesday 15th of october , should be available in all major electrical retail stores inc sony centers and harvey norman

as i stated before i spotted the deal on a euronics flyer (€999 for 50" +soundbar+5 year warranty) but should be cheaper from currys, sony centers or harvey norman!

The deal is on amazon.co.uk from Oct 15th

See attached photo

It doesn't seem to say anything about a 5 year warranty (well I can't see it mentioned)

Anybody hear any more about this, Its on Amazon allright but haven seen anytging for the outlets here yet?

Yeah its back on, also spoke to Paul in Sony Letterkenny, gentleman, thanks.

Thanks again OP for original post too.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

Ordered a 42 inch TV yesterday; the guys in the Sony Centre (Paul and Dave) were very helpful. It might be worth noting that the full deal is now €700 for the 42 inch TV, the 5 year guarantee, and the sound-bar OR a €160 voucher that's good up to next July.

Given that Christmas is coming up, that voucher could be offset against another purchase or purchases that you'll have to make (phone, etc.), bringing the real price of the TV down to €540. They were able to order me an iPad Mini (don't think they normally stock them), and the whole bill came to €940.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 test012345

Recent Calibrated Settings from avforums (flatpanelshd) tested for 50" & 55"

Viewing mode: Cinema 2
    Backlight 10
    Contrast 90
    Brightness: 50
    Color: 55
    Hue: 0
    Color temperature Sat tuner : Warm2 UPC BOX : Warm 1
    Sharpness 50
    Noise reduction Off
    Dot/mpeg noise reduction Off
    Reality Creation Off
    Smooth gradation Off
    Motionflow True Cinema
    Film mode Auto
    Black corrector Off
    Adv. Contrast Enhancer Off
    Gamma -1
    Auto Light Limiter Off
    Clear White Off
    Live Color Off
    Detail Enhancer Off
    Edge enhancer Off
    R Gain -3
    G Gain -13
    B Gain 0
    R Bias 0
    G Bias -1
    B Bias 0
    Eco (light sensor) On

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭leex

I am interested in the 50 or 55" version of this tv. Does the Saorview and Sat channels appear on the same EPG? Guessing it is only "now" and "next" on the sat channel listings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

leex wrote: »
    I am interested in the 50 or 55" version of this tv. Does the Saorview and Sat channels appear on the same EPG? Guessing it is only "now" and "next" on the sat channel listings?

Have 42" and they are different EPG screens and SAT only shows now and next.

As an FYI, Harvey Norman let me upgrade the soundbar to slim 300W rather than the hex shape one included in the deal. Worked out about €20 more than Sony Letterkenny with their €160 credit instead of sound bar (excluding delivery if they charge for that) on a like for like comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭leex

Have 42" and they are different EPG screens and SAT only shows now and next.

Are there many button presses to get from one channel list to the other?

Should be some good deals late next week on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

I'm waiting on the 50" version to drop in price a little too. January hopefully.

• Advertisement

leex wrote: »
    Are there many button presses to get from one channel list to the other?

2 button presses is the least I can manage to toggle between EPG.

It displays 8 channels on a page, can't find a page down button, have to scroll all the way through.

2 button presses is the least I can manage to toggle between EPG.

It displays 8 channels on a page, can't find a page down button, have to scroll all the way through.

edit: found page down, red and green buttons :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

Has anyone else getting the message of "no event information" on the Freesat EPG? I only have the Freesat connected at the moment and whenever I go into the EPG all I get is this message until I actually go into the channel, then I get the information.

johnybean wrote: »
    Has anyone else getting the message of "no event information" on the Freesat EPG? I only have the Freesat connected at the moment and whenever I go into the EPG all I get is this message until I actually go into the channel, then I get the information.

Same as that on the freesat. The Saorview digital channels have more information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 639 ✭✭✭chris1970

Only official freesat boxes get 7 day egg, press options & go to, I think, 'launch guide' , you will get a detailed guide if you have Internet connected, their Android phone app, SideView is all I use, you can record, and it finds and plays from my nas drive via TwonkyServer

Would anyone be able to give me a quick guide how to get the saorview channels tuned in? I have attached an aerial feed to the rf port on the back but I cannot find a way to tune the saorview channels,freesat channels working perfect on the satellite connection

• Advertisement

Got the above issue sorted, just wondering if anyone has connected a hard drive to the tv for recording etc? If so, did you use a portable hard drive or desktop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Got the above issue sorted, just wondering if anyone has connected a hard drive to the tv for recording etc? If so, did you use a portable hard drive or desktop?

I've a portable hdd attached to mine. It's actually the former hard drive in my computer and put in a caddy. Works perfectly to record Saorview.

thevtv needs to format the hard drive, you wont be able to watch on a laptop unless you can decode recordings, anyone notice that netflix button rendered useless since last software update, kids not happy, also anyone know how to make the y component turn into a composite, cctv video camera , no success in menu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Cyclonius

I was pricing TVs recently, and wanted to see if there were any offers on for Sony televisions. The guys in the Letterkenny Sony Centre mentioned that there was a price reduction until at least the 9th of May, with the 32 inch W7 going for €420, the 42 inch W7 going for €540, and the 42 inch W8 (the one discussed in this thread) going for €560. Those prices include a 5 year warranty, but no soundbar.

so I'm watching the snooker on the BBC and then coverage changes to "press the red button" which I recognise as being a SKY remote control button. Is there a way to watch this on the SONY TV with out a SKY decoder? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

so I'm watching the snooker on the BBC and then coverage changes to "press the red button" which I recognise as being a SKY remote control button. Is there a way to watch this on the SONY TV with out a SKY decoder? Thanks.

Yep you press the red button.

moodrater wrote: »
    Yep you press the red button.

I did try the red button on the Sony remote but no joy. My TV is not connected to the internet. I also tried the text button to see if that would give some on screen options.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Hococop wrote: »
    Fair play to them replacing it, just curious any reason you left it for 2 months?

Apologies for taking 9 months to reply ;) I missed this message at the time. The TV was purchased for my new apartment that wasn't yet ready to move into! I didn't want to miss the deal.

A lesson to all - check goods when you buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

Hi guys,

Sorry for digging out old thread but I think you will be more helpful than SONY customer center.

Could you tell me what I have to send to obtain that 5 years extended warranty? I totally forgot about that and would like to do it now.

Thanks.

send off reciept with a form you should have got when you purchased tv, it should have been filled out & stamped at place of purchase, you get a return in two weeks with warranty info on it. hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Greg81

chris1970 wrote: »
    send off reciept with a form you should have got when you purchased tv, it should have been filled out & stamped at place of purchase, you get a return in two weeks with warranty info on it. hope this helps

Thanks mate.

The only problem is I don't remember getting any form. There is also a chance i thrown it out. I think I will give SONY a call and ask what to do next.

Thanks for reply.

EDIT:

OK i just have found a form online

http://www.did.ie/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Sony_5YG_2015.pdf

Now I am 100% sure I never got it.

Hope Sony will be OK with approving this a year after purchase.

Advertisement