Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DELL Inspiron 15 laptop only €208 using VIP codes delivered to Parcel Motel

• 30-07-2014 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I seen this deal over in hotukdeals and I orderd last night using PayPal & Parcel Motel. The order went through fine as you can see below:

JrQrvg5.png

Works out about €208 including Parcel Motel using the 10% off VIP codes. Make sure you sign up to the VIP to get the 10% off code here. (check your spam folder in your email in case you dont see it)

Direct link to the laptop here.

Specs: Intel® Celeron® Dual Core N2830 Processor, Windows(R) 8.1, 4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz (4GBx1), 500GB 5400 rpm SATA Hard Drive, 15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768), HDMI 1.4a, USB 2.0 (2), Security slot, 4-in-1 Media Card (SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro).

The biggest cons is that there is no DVD, USB3, Ethernet or Bluetooth but for the price it seems a savage deal for the casual user, obviously this laptop is not for gaming or video editing :pac:

Update: For anyone debating getting one, It says the free shipping & the extra £20 off expires tonight so don't wait too long.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

As soon as I saw the word celeron

Pass....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭j_lennon18

swingking wrote: »

Pass....

I think it was a bit naive to click on a link for a laptop for €208 & actually expect anything better than a Celeron :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    I think it was a bit naive to click on a link for a laptop for €208 & actually expect anything better than a Celeron :rolleyes: :p

But I would expect most of the following - there is no DVD, USB3, Ethernet or Bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭heavywater

foggy_lad wrote: »
    But I would expect most of the following - there is no DVD, USB3, Ethernet or Bluetooth

Why don't you share where you shop with these great expectations? It behooves you to provide an alternative if you're going to readily dismiss someone else's bargain alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭j_lennon18

foggy_lad wrote: »

Fair enough. I don't need any of them features but I wanted to warn others like yourself in case you need them. Sacrifices need to be made to get a brand new laptop for that price, you cant have it all :pac:

My order has just shipped. Dell called from a strange number "020440000" to confirm shipping address. Had to scramble to find exact parcel motel address and I said it was going to my job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Pass....

You're missing the point.

This is effectively a atom cpu. So this is basically a netbook with a 15" screen. So its pretty much silent (no fan) with a long battery life. But its only for basic tasks.

You can read reviews off it here
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3531-1200BK-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KMRGF28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

No Flux Capacitor?
    I'm out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,601 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

beauf wrote: »
    You're missing the point.

This is effectively a atom cpu. So this is basically a netbook with a 15" screen. So its pretty much silent (no fan) with a long battery life. But its only for basic tasks.

You can read reviews off it here
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i3531-1200BK-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00KMRGF28
    To call it a netbook is unfair. This laptop is excellent value for most users who accept that it's not for games or graphics intensive tasks.

Most budget laptops come without optical drives these days and dvds are pretty much obsolete these days anyway. Most people don't use bluetooth, why would you need a bluetooth keyboard or mouse for a laptop? Ethernet is superflous for 99% of the time when wifi is sufficient.

If you want to play modern 3d accellerated games, you'd need to spend at least 4 times as much to get the minimum specs of todays games. if you have a console or desktop for games and want this for office, browsing the web and even simpler games such as prison architect or plants vs zombies etc, you'll be able to run these no problem.

This laptop would be perfect for a college student with a tight budget. A lot of people spend way too much money on fancy laptops with way more power than they'll ever need. Even these budget laptops of today have better features than the best laptops from 5 years ago (eg the macbook pro from 2009 only had 2gb of ram and a 250gb hd, only had a 2ghz dual core processer)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

Bought the laptop +-2 months ago, fast enough for all basic stuff like internet,videos, pictures, skype, email, etc...
    Obviously not suitable for gaming and heavy softwares like autocad, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

anyone got a spare uk vip code, they arent giving them out at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

this is an excellent price for a 15" NEW laptop. i could have bitten your hand off if that had come up last year, when i needed to get 2 for my parents. they dont need a haswell processor. they dont need an IPS Full HD 4K screen, they dont need a cd drive.

what they needed was a cheap functional, new laptop with warranty.

you cant even get that 2nd hand.

excellent bargain OP, well done

Akrasia wrote: »
    To call it a netbook is unfair. This laptop is excellent value for most users who accept that it's not for games or graphics intensive tasks....

Even these budget laptops of today have better features than the best laptops from 5 years ago (eg the macbook pro from 2009 only had 2gb of ram and a 250gb hd, only had a 2ghz dual core processer)

Did you actually look at the specs/features of a 2009 MacBook Pro? http://tinyurl.com/7ecyhpl Its got much better features and specs. Just because its old doesn't mean its not powerful. Looking at sunspider scores, that old CPU would be 2~3 times faster than this Dell.

Calling its closer to a net books isn't unfair its just a more accurate description of what it is. I'm not saying its not good value. They've re-marketed the atom chip as a Celeron. This is the same chip that's in the latest chromebooks and netbooks.

As you say this would be good for a light computing tasks. For most people thats all they do 80% of the time. No argument there.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭plonker

if anyone has a spare code please pm it on.it would be much appreciated

leo2a6 wrote: »
    Bought the laptop +-2 months ago, fast enough for all basic stuff like internet,videos, pictures, skype, email, etc...
    Obviously not suitable for gaming and heavy softwares like autocad, etc...

What sort of battery life are you getting on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

€249 on Dell.ie so €40 saving.
    I got no response from VIP registration so no saving there.
    The nearest PM is a 25 mile round trip so I wouldn't be saving much.

Great price for a basic laptop with 12 month warranty though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Any chance of being able to put in an SSD in a Caddy,where the DVD drive would be ?

The Inspiron 15 3000 isn't much more €300 before discounts. Has everything. Hard to tell from Dell terrible website.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

beauf wrote: »
    What sort of battery life are you getting on it?

4 hours + i would say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Says 6 on the Website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Just to let you all know Dell just told me that products under 600 pounds only get a 2% discount with the vip club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Stick a small ssd in and install lubuntu on it and it will run quite well.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Stick a small ssd in and install lubuntu on it and it will run quite well.

It would give a bit longer battery too. Ssd makes any system so much nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DrChristianTroy

Guys just wondering if this laptop would be much of an upgrade on my current laptop? Current laptop is running Windows 8.1 fine, just worried about reliability as its good few years old now.

current spec is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz
    Memory: 2.00GB

Or would you need more info than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Anyone a spare code? Dell ain't delivering.

flynner13 wrote: »
    Anyone a spare code? Dell ain't delivering.

Me too if anyone has a second code they are not using please pm me.
    I tried the online chat,spent ages talking to him but he would not give me a code:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Guys just wondering if this laptop would be much of an upgrade on my current laptop? Current laptop is running Windows 8.1 fine, just worried about reliability as its good few years old now.

current spec is as follows:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7250 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz
    Memory: 2.00GB

Or would you need more info than that?

Not worth upgrading for tbh

SG2DN2181WM3WT

JH3JKXXLH5QRF0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Thanks nanook5 but i couldnt get either of those to work.

magentis wrote: »
    Thanks nanook5 but i couldnt get either of those to work.

No problem . I couldn't get them to work either .I thought it may have been just me. I just singed up to student VIP today and got them . Maybe try make an account yourself

nanook5 wrote: »
    No problem . I couldn't get them to work either .I thought it may have been just me. I just singed up to student VIP today and got them . Maybe try make an account yourself

I have but it could be 48 hours before i get the codes.
    And this offer finishes at midnight.

I have but it could be 48 hours before i get the codes.
    And this offer finishes at midnight.

I tried Business VIP and got no email yet but then tried student VIP and got email straight away

Gone back up to 199.99 pounds now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Just to let you all know Dell just told me that products under 600 pounds only get a 2% discount with the vip club

Not true i got the VIP codes from Dell Ireland (got no response from UK site) and got 10% off this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This laptop is reduced to €219 delivered on dell.ie if anyone is looking for a cheap laptop for someone (like myself!).

It is usually €249 but you can save €30 right now (valid through September 18th).

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=cn53105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

Would this be any use to me for editing the odd go pro vid for YouTube, backing up a few iPhones too and then just the usual browsing, email etc?
    Not into gaming or anything like either so that's not important.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Pass....

This! Had a celeron about 8 years ago and it was a piece of ****e, back then. I'd shudder at the thoughts of how bad it is nowadays.
    jimbis wrote: »
    Would this be any use to me for editing the odd go pro vid for YouTube, backing up a few iPhones too and then just the usual browsing, email etc?
    Not into gaming or anything like either so that's not important.

I'd say it might be ok, depending on what software you're using to edit the videos. If it's is Windows Movie Maker it should be alright. If it's a piece of paid software like Sony Vegas etc...I'd say it would blow up, nevermind struggle. :)

This! Had a celeron about 8 years ago and it was a piece of ****e, back then. I'd shudder at the thoughts of how bad it is nowadays. ...

Celerons have been good and bad. They used to be cut down version of the pentium higher models.

This Celeron isn't a cut down pentium its an entirely different chip. Its a rebranded Atom. That you get in tablets and netbooks. Its a new faster atom.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Coming up at EUR 197.11 on the Dell.ie website with 10% VIP Discount.

10% discount code available via (www.publicsectorroi.groupscheme.com)

You need to cut and paste the URL as a redirect will not work.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

evostik wrote: »
    Coming up at EUR 197.11 on the Dell.ie website with 10% VIP Discount.

10% discount code available via http://www.publicsectorroi.groupscheme.com

great-wheres the code :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

might be great for someone who needs laptop,but thats about it,since specs are not much different from any better smartphone.win 8 sucks unless its possible to get it running on win 7.

All said dell is great company,but to expect smth more then regular mail check,youtube or using word is about it.since any gaming laptop is around 1500e mark,and for that cash one could build some proper machine,as even best gaming laptops eventually run out,when new hardware is released which happens every couple months,and games are getting more demanding within days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

great-wheres the code :confused:

Any luck with that? Going to order for my sister for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭evostik

Codes are unique. You need to go to the computers section and click on the 10% VIP discount icon. Enter your email and the code will be sent to you.

P.s. Cut and paste the URL into your browser. The redirect doesn't work. You may need to delete your cookies for the URL to give you access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Any luck with that? Going to order for my sister for college.
    Try this

This just worked for me. 197 euro - grand for my purposes so thanks OP.

walshki wrote: »
    Try this

This just worked for me. 197 euro - grand for my purposes so thanks OP.

howd ya get code:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

howd ya get code:confused:

As described above, copy the link. I used an incognito window and it worked a treat. Just sign up, go to the computer section and they'll mail the code.

Cheers lads, all ordered.

ya cheers lads took awhile to get the code but got it in the end for 197

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Damn I missed this offer... If anyone notices it again in the near future please post again :-)

Advertisement