Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Highend Dupes

• 28-11-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So I love a beauty bargain so I just wanted to see was anyone else interested in sharing some makeup dupes.

I'll start: Mac Chatterbox is the exact (and I mean exact) same as Milani Fruit Punch.

I know loads more but just wanted to see if anyone else wants to share yours :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Graceless

Bourjois color boost crayons are a dupe for Clinique chubby sticks. Will post if I think of more!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

nursemar88 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So I love a beauty bargain so I just wanted to see was anyone else interested in sharing some makeup dupes.

I'll start: Mac Chatterbox is the exact (and I mean exact) same as Milani Fruit Punch.

But how are they dupes? Are they the same colour, same texture, same wearability? Feel the same on the lips? Last just as long? Though meals?
    Do they both work as well with the same liners? Same finish?

If they're just the same colour than they're not dupes. I have loads of products that are the same colour and look the same swatched but they don't perform the same so they're not dupes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

ameliams wrote: »
    But how are they dupes? Are they the same colour, same texture, same wearability? Feel the same on the lips? Last just as long? Though meals?

If they're just the same colour than they're not dupes. I have loads of products that are the same colour and look the same swatched but they don't perform the same so they're not dupes.

I think most would consider when something is an exact colour match it is a dupe.

Having to reapply something more often than an original product is the downside of savings made on an expensive product.

I would certainly consider a dupe to be something with an indistinguishable colour difference to its higher end counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

To answer your questions, yes they are the exact same. I have both Mac Chatterbox and Milani Fruit Punch and they are the same in texture, longevity, wear ability, finish etc.

And I agree sometimes dupes, aren't always dupes for that reason. However most people would be happy with the same color and similar (not the same but slightly different) performance for a significant difference in price.
    I'm just trying to suggest a thread to save people money and help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lancôme and L'Oreal cosmetics are usually the same items in different packaging, and at different price points. I can't give exact products though :)

• Advertisement

I think most would consider when something is an exact colour match it is a dupe.

Having to reapply something more often than an original product is the downside of savings made on an expensive product.

I would certainly consider a dupe to be something with an indistinguishable colour difference to its higher end counterpart.

Well I could give 500 products that are same colours but they perform totally different so I wouldn't consider them a dupe because they are totally different products.

Mac kinda sexy lipstick and nyx smlc in Stockholm. Exact same colour on. No way you can even tell they're different if you them on each side of your lips. But they aren't dupes. One is a matte lipstick one is a liquid lipstick that doesn't dry down. The lipstick I put on in the morning and will still be there at night the other lasts hours but fades badly. The lipstick is tricky to reapply the nyx one is quite easy. 13 euro difference in price but totally totally different. Like depends which one you would want but I wouldn't recommend one of the other over colour.

I have tonnes of Mac eye shadow that i have other colour matches for. But I wouldn't consider them dupes because they don't even perform slightly the same so I couldn't use one in place of another.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/zingtsjeng/high-street-dupes#.ioz0x82M0

A link I found of lots of dupes people have been talking about this year. I haven't tried everything on the list, I think 9 of the examples. Only one I in any way agree with is the sleek and benefit brow kits. Pretty sure they are the same product in different packaging. Definitely the sleek one is much better choice.

The rest no. Orgasm is nothing like rose gold. Rose gold has much more gold and chunks of glitter. The naked palette is nothing like the Mua palette the colours are totally different and quality is miles apart. The Rimmel lipstick looks totally different to ruby woo, that could depend on coloring thought I'd also say the maybelline and Bobbi brown are nothing alike. But the maybelline is much better, lasts longer on. And colour tattoos are not in anyway similar to paint pots. Paint pots are much much drier. The beauty blenders I hate both so can't really comment. The Mua bronzer will have faded off your face before you leave the house.

You clearly feel very strongly about it to which you're entitled.

I'm pretty happy with an exact colour match, I think most people are :)

Not strongly I just don't really agree with the use of the word dupe just for a colour I thought that was standard though.

http://thebeautifultruth.ie/the-dupe-that-just-isnt-a-dupe/

That blog post sums it up. But I kind of assumed that's what people thought of dupes. I don't know any makeup artists that refer to products as dupes because of colour usually it's overall product/result.

But sure if people are happy with colour, they're happy with colour. I just don't like to waste money that way.

*also not my blog. I don't have a blog not do I know the girl who writes it.

Speaking of NARS orgasm. Bourjois Rose D'Or is a pretty good colour match.

Rimmel eyeliner in bronze is not only a good dupe for MAC teddy eyeliner, in my opinion, it outperforms it in every sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

@ameliams you're kinda ruining this thread.

I'm really interested in hearing of more dupes.

Taboola wrote: »

I've posted what I thought a dupe was and I've posted several dupes and a posted a colour based dupe which other people said they wanted and I also added what I didn't think were dupes and why.

And I could post hundreds more actually so I'm hardly ruining it. You haven't added anything to it other than to comment on what I've said which is hardly relevant.

Well my next dupe is the YSL Glossy Stain in No.201. My dupe for this exact color is Catrice Made to Stay Smoothing Lip Polish in Megan Fuschia. They both have the same sheer application, balmy texture and wear off the same to leave a lovely stain on the lips. I have both and I like both equally :)

I imagine that whole range would be dupeable against the YSL Glossy Range but can't say for sure because while I own all the Catrice ones, only could afford one YSL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Taboola wrote: »

I've posted what I thought a dupe was and I've posted several dupes and a posted a colour based dupe which other people said they wanted and I also added what I didn't think were dupes and why.

And I could post hundreds more actually so I'm hardly ruining it. You haven't added anything to it other than to comment on what I've said which is hardly relevant.

If you have a problem with a post please report it rather than dealing with it on thread. Stick to the topic please. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I like an good auld dupe!
    But I do get what Ameliams is saying, I think saying that something is an exact dupe of another product is a very strong statement to make. When I see dupes being posted on social media and blogs, I do take them with a pinch of salt. I would think of something as being a "cheaper alternative" rather than being a dupe. I do find it handy for things like lipsticks or eyeshadows if you want to see if something would suit you without forking out the big bucks, or for something you know you might only wear a few times or something which is very trend driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I find Maybelline's Colour Tattoo cream eyeshadow in Creamy Beige a dupe for Mac's Paint Pot in Groundwork, very similar colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Any of you ladies know of a good dupe for Mac Ruby Woo lipstick? I want to treat myself to a new red lippie ... though I suppose the original might be best! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

cactusgal wrote: »
    Any of you ladies know of a good dupe for Mac Ruby Woo lipstick? I want to treat myself to a new red lippie ... though I suppose the original might be best! Thanks

Try Wet 'N' Wild "Stoplight Red" :)

i think it's a good dupe, and if you don't find it great, it's only about €3/4 ish, so not going to break the bank anyway.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eB-pJ3pTU-M/U7FrQkCYd2I/AAAAAAAAARU/valJpSUbfHQ/s1600/MAC+Ruby+Woo+Wet+n+Wild+Spotlight+Red.jpg

I've two Illamasqua dupes. The first one is for the colour Fable- the dupe is Wet N Wild Think Pink. The second is for the colour Tramp- the dupe for that is Milani Best Red.

Anyone know a high street dupe for Mac Whirl lip liner - I'm nowhere near a Mac stockist and also the price is more than I am willing to pay for a lip liner.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Anyone know a high street dupe for Mac Whirl lip liner - I'm nowhere near a Mac stockist and also the price is more than I am willing to pay for a lip liner.

The most common one I know of is NYX Mauve lip liner. I haven't tried it but looking at swatches online it does look very similar :)

The most common one I know of is NYX Mauve lip liner. I haven't tried it but looking at swatches online it does look very similar :)
    Anyone know any other dupe apart from the NYX one - the local stand is usually empty of anything I want.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Anyone know any other dupe apart from the NYX one - the local stand is usually empty of anything I want.

OK so the other two I can find it Revlon Nude which is similar enough but not an exact color dupe. The other one is 17 Rose Blush which is the exact same color but the formulation isn't supposed to be the best. Apparently not so bad applied over a lip balm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rimmel+matte+lipstick+kiss+of+life+111+dupe+ruby+woo

Anyone know a dupe for Urban Decay's Riff eyeshadow? Any searches online have just thrown up US make up brands. So any more affordable shadows available here. €18 is a bit saucy for one shadow which I'm not even sure would suit me even though it looks good online. Plus there's no urban decay stockist near me to try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

According to thebeautytruth on Instagram, wet n wild red velvet us a dupe and she claims it's nicer to wear than the Mac one

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Anaiyela

Hi guys,

I haven't come across Milani, where is it stocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

€2.99 mascara Absolute Lashes in Mr. Price same as Benefit’s one They’re Real

Advertisement