Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post, getting lost ?

Options
  • 27-11-2015 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi at least 2 significant parcels have failed to arrive in the past 6 weeks, all through An Post, one from Dublin one from the USA, I thought postcodes were supposed to resolve all this ? Anyone else experience this ?

S :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Postcodes only help with addressing errors. There are many other legitimate reasons why post may not arrive or be delayed; could be anything from illegible/damaged address label, insufficient postage, issues with the contents, prohibited items, customs checks, etc. Usually An Post are very good at tracking down the recipient but other postal services may not be so good.

If the sender got a tracking number they should follow it up or send it to you so that you can chase it. In the absence of a tracking number you could ask An Post to check where the parcels are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi at least 2 significant parcels have failed to arrive in the past 6 weeks, all through An Post, one from Dublin one from the USA, I thought postcodes were supposed to resolve all this ? Anyone else experience this ?

did you parcels have post codes on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

did you parcels have post codes on them?
    Yes....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I thought postcodes were supposed to resolve all this ?

'This'? If your parcels were properly addressed, in all probability they have been stolen.

Postcodes only resolve incomplete addresses like where two people with similar names live in the same rural townland. If you live in an urban area with a house number and street address, the postcode does nothing for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

An post don't have operations in USA. They only assume responsibility when the items arrive here.

Usually you will find that the address has been very poorly written or written on a sticker that has come away.

I was given a tour of the dublin mails centre (i send a lot of parcels via an post) and saw the technology they use and the security. I also saw parcels & letters that had to be sorted manually due to utterly appalling writing, incredulous spelling and incomplete addresses.

And there were hundreds of them! Most are deciphered and the rest get sent to leitrim or some place for attempted return to sender. (if a return address is on it)

Of course its easy to blame anpost - but what actual proof do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

delahuntv wrote: »

I was given a tour of the dublin mails centre (i send a lot of parcels via an post) and saw the technology they use and the security. I also saw parcels & letters that had to be sorted manually due to utterly appalling writing, incredulous spelling and incomplete addresses.

I don't believe you!

@OP, silly question, but I assume you've definitely allowed enough time to be sure the second one has gone missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

There's a lost post form that you can complete. Did you submit one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Also Eircodes are not used by An Post, they are not "post codes". They were introduced basically to allow marketplace competition so couriers could deliver as easily as An Post to areas where traditionally the local postman had the advantage.

The inclusion of an Eircode on an item will have zero bearing on the delivery of any item sent through the postal system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Also Eircodes are not used by An Post, they are not "post codes". They were introduced basically to allow marketplace competition so couriers could deliver as easily as An Post to areas where traditionally the local postman had the advantage.

The inclusion of an Eircode on an item will have zero bearing on the delivery of any item sent through the postal system.

More or less true, but not quite. My postman told me they check an odd eircode if they have difficultly with the rest of the address. He has been called in by a supervisor to look at maps online to help identify an address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Gangu wrote: »
    There's a lost post form that you can complete. Did you submit one?

you do know that the post was from last year?

An Post are now using Eircode as are DPD and emergency servcies. When it was launched they did say that it would take time for it to be implemented by various companies.

I'm in a very rural location - laneway off a rural road, off a main road. I've used the eircode on many occasions to direct people from satelite installers, visitors and tradesmen. A simple text with the eircode and eircode web address gets them to the door - far better than take right after hill after bend, left at green house then 3rd last house on lane or similar.

If you live in a city / town and have a numbering system - its not necessary. Same as postcode is not necessary in UK towns/cities. But for rural dwellers, it been a great system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Maybe they ended up in Canada

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/eircode-parcel-bound-for-ireland-ends-up-in-canada-352191.html
    A parcel posted from Britain with Ireland clearly marked as its destination ended up in Canada — leaving the intended recipient to question whether the Eircode he gave in his address may have played a role in the mix-up.

Richie Gardiner, a presenter on Spirit Radio in Co Wicklow, had ordered computer parts from England at the start of August and requested them to be delivered to his work address.

Approximately a month later, when there was no sign of the package, he called the supplier and said it must have been lost. They sent out a replacement via UPS.

However, the original parcel did then arrive — with “Missentto Canada” emblazoned in large red writing across the bottom.
    advertisement

“So why did Royal Mail in the UK send this to Canada by mistake?” he wrote on his blog. I can’t help wondering if this could be something to do with [the fact] Ireland’s new controversial Eircode system is similar to Canada’s postal-code system, perhaps?”

He said both Eircode and Canada’s postal- code system is split into two parts with Eircode using a routing key and a unique identifier, while Canada’s code is similarly split between forward sortation area, and the local delivery unit.

Mr Gardiner said he would wonder whether someone in Royal Mail made the mistake or whether it was a computer error.

Advertisement