Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding loan

Options
  • 31-12-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

hi,
    getting married around easter and looking into getting a loan of about 10k just to cover the bits that our savings don't cover for the reception and the honeymoon. just wondering if anyone on here has taken out a wedding loan or is there even such a thing?! going to check out my credit union and aib for the best rate but am wondering if you can get a loan of say 18 months but pay it back early without incurring a fee??? also can you get a loan and not start paying it back for a couple of months??
    thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Some banks allow you to defer the first one or two months payment of the loan. Most banks I know do it.

For paying back early your best bet would be a variable loan. You can pay back a loan early without any extra fees. Although I recently took out a loan with Ulster on fixed and was told I could pay it back early without any extra fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Variable be way to go, you could maybe do offered payment of x and have a balloon payment at the end for the balance thats what a mate of mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

bungaro79 wrote: »
    hi,
    getting married around easter and looking into getting a loan of about 10k just to cover the bits that our savings don't cover for the reception and the honeymoon. just wondering if anyone on here has taken out a wedding loan or is there even such a thing?! going to check out my credit union and aib for the best rate but am wondering if you can get a loan of say 18 months but pay it back early without incurring a fee??? also can you get a loan and not start paying it back for a couple of months??
    thanks in advance!

A Loan of 10k plus your savings......what is wrong with your head? Catch yourself on. Do it on the cheap; book your local pub (the landlord will only be too happy to give you a room for free for the booze that he will sell); make a few sausage rolls; cook a few cocktail sausages and buy a tent for the honeymoon. The bride / groom will thank you in the end and the marriage just might last longer than the 18 months you want to repay the loan.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

While toboldygo is a bit OTT, I really am at a loss to understand why you feel the need to get a loan out for a wedding!

Please take a look at how much you are spending overall, try and eliminate some fat and continue saving for a little longer until you can pay for it in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I just re-read and saw you are getting married in Easter.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

you're a good'n bungaro, get yourself of to Gretna Green i'd say:D

Advertisement