Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future Rail Transit Development - Your Feedback Please

• 24-03-2004 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

When Platform11 had its first meeting in the Bankers Club in Jan 2003, we asked the people who showed up that day, "what would you like to see happen on the rail network, in terms of operations and future development?". We made a list and it became the agenda for the first year of P11's lobbying.

Well, it is time to put this question to Irish rail users and tax payers. What do you believe should be the most important issues/development projects concerning rail transport in Ireland in the years ahead. (this includes heavy rail, light rail and metros). This will help us in determing future issues to be highlighted in the media and in government.

Public transport users are never asked what they want as the decision process is always implemented between consultants and the Government (most of whom do not even use public transport) - this is our chance to make our voice heard for a change.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

as mentioned in another thread I'd roll with the elctrification of the maynooth line, and the appropriate increase of frequency associated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

- Something similar to what is available in quite a few European countries: an annual card for under €50-70 giving you 50% off all rail travel (or why not all public transport?).
    - The development of Cork’s public transport (currently pathetic).
    - Upgrading of the Maynooth line to DART standard.

Jeremiah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

1) Forget the metro. Dubin doesnt need something of that scale
    2) Extend the LUAS tram system, make new extensions, spur's and lines. A good tram system is a must for Dublin.
    3) Electrify the Maynooth line and upgrade it to DART standard.
    4) Continue an electrification programme to Dundalk/Droghada and possibly link up to Belfast.
    5) Better DART timetables. Miss one and having to wait 30minutes is a disgrace no matter what time of the day it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

To make it easy here are the list of suggestion thus far:
    (feel free to add any which are not there but you believe should be)

Clockface Inter-City Departures
    Cork - Improved Commuter Service
    Cork - Midleton Reopening
    DART - Extension to Airport
    DART - Extension to Drogheda
    DART - Extension to Kildare
    DART - Extension to Maynooth
    DART - Phoenix Park Tunnel Route Upgrade
    Electrify Belfast-Dublin Route
    Electrify Dublin-Cork Route
    Increase Capacity of Commuter Routes in Leinster
    Integrated Ticketing
    LUAS - Connect Lines A and B
    LUAS to Cherrywood/Shanganagh
    LUAS to Docklands
    LUAS to Lucan
    Metro - Orbital
    Metro to Airport/Swords
    Mullingar-Athlone (for improved Dublin-Galway service)
    Navan Commuter Service (reopening Clonsilla-Navan)
    Navan-Drogheda Line Passenger Upgrade
    Sligo Suburban Service (Sligo-Ballymote)
    The Interconnector (linking all Dublin's main stations)
    Western Rail Corridor (WRC) - Entire Reopening
    WRC - Athenry-Claremorris Reopening
    WRC - Athenry-Ennis Reopening
    WRC - Athenry-Tuam Reopening
    WRC - Claremorris-Collooney Reopening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

I'm based in Dublin, so these are all Dublin-centric:

1: Services between Platform 10 and Connolly, possibly by terminating Kildare Line trains in Connolly.

2: Completion of the Kildare Route Project, including a station at Grangecastle/Outer Ring Road as originally proposed.

3: Stations at Islandbridge (access to Platform 10 from Chapelizod Road), Zoo (underground), Cabra (Irish cement?), Phibsborough (Mountjoy?), Croke Park, Spencer Dock & relocate Broomebridge to Glasnevin Junction.

4: Service from Navan to Belfast line.

5: Connection between the two Luas lines, probably along the original surface alignment - although does this fit in with the O'Connell St. rejuvenation?

6: Spur to the Airport

7: Electrification of Maynooth Line and Kildare Line

8: Interconnector

9: Dunboyne spur

10: Luas to Lucan

11: Luas (Metro) to Airport and Swords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

late nite services
    I remember from college days having to leggit from the pub to Pearse dart stn. at 11 to get the last dart at 11.20 -ish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

I'll stick with wexford area..
    Wexford Dublin-> increased speed/frequency
    Terminus moved to Pearse for certain services (avoiding loop line)
    When rail cars are delivered- some/most services should operate between rosslare/bray to connect with Dart.

South Wexford service..
    If rail cars used, should operate between Wexford and Waterford-very few people go on to Rosslare Harbour (eg Wexford->Rosslare Strand (Driver walks to other end of Train)---> --> Waterford..
    jd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think the plan recently proposed by Iarnrod Eireann is ideal. If that was in place a lot of problems would disappear. After that I would like to see:

1. More Luas, and more interconnection of Luas lines
    2. Earlier services - it is ridiculous that the earliest arrival in Heuston on a weekday is 7:25am. I think there would be demand for a train from Portlaoise at 6.00am, and services every 20 mins from 6.30 am from Kildare / Newbridge. I know several people who take buses that early.
    3. More park and ride facilities
    4. Better (more integrated) social and spacial planning to meet future needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lowlands

- Night DARTS / Trains to suburban areas (one every hour past 12 PM until 3PM)
    - Sheltered waiting areas/rooms with adequate seating on all stations/platforms.
    - Priority seating on all train carriages.
    - Station and in-train announcements that you can actually hear and understand in something close to English.
    - Improved overall service
    - % On Time target, if set target not met then no bonus for management staff, and serious fines for the company.
    - Adequate parking at stations, park+ride facilities.
    - Run proper bus-service when train or DART is canceled due to strike/(track)maintenance/breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Kildare service (Railcar or preferably DART) extended to City Centre (Connolly or Spencer Dock), via Park tunnel (or preferably underground interconnector), with new stations including (but certainly not limited to) Kylemore Rd & Sarsfield Rd.

Thats enough for now (as I've reached my quota of bracketed comments in one post)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

When rail cars are delivered- some/most services should operate between rosslare/bray to connect with Dart.

i dunno - the rosslare service is slow enough without having to get off at bray and get a dart

I'd like to see an improvement in Dart frequencies - there are still gaps of 20-30 minutes in the timetable - and an increase in speed - the DART has just got slower and slower over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by loyatemu

i dunno - the rosslare service is slow enough without having to get off at bray and get a dart

I'd like to see an improvement in Dart frequencies - there are still gaps of 20-30 minutes in the timetable - and an increase in speed - the DART has just got slower and slower over the years.

If the service speed improves, I'd like to see some extra services as a shuttle to Bray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Start making the case for high speed rail to Cork and Galway... the WOT and Metro and Dart extensions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

the reults of the survey are posted here:

www.platform11.org/dev_survey.html

thanks for all who took part

Advertisement