Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Destruction of Property...who's liability?

Options
  • 16-11-2014 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I had my NCT test booked on the evening of Friday 14th November.
    I purchased the car on Tuesday of the previous week, the interior was in perfect condition and after the test (only on Sunday when I saw it in the daylight) I noticed that there was damage to the driver seat and driver arm rest on the door. The arm rest upholstery is scuffed and there is a small hole and scratches made to the seat on the right hand side on the back rest if the seat. Considering that the inspection of my car when I purchased it by myself, partner and mechanic and before the NCT when I cleaned out the car for the inspection and there was no damage to the interior. In fact, my family and I commented on how great it was that the car interior was in such perfect condition.
    I can only conclude that the damage occurred during the test perhaps by a tool left in the inspector mechanics pocket or something like that and rubbed off it.

Just wondering, who is going to be liable for the damage? I have mailed the customer care team at NCT offices... I did not sign any waiver or anything before inspection.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm faiy certain there is a standard waiver in the terms and conditions absolving McRae of responsibility for any damage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Unless you can prove they damaged it (video evidence) then you have no chance i'm afraid.

Sorry, i know its not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chef_teacher

I've heard people mention it before... and I know there are signs exhuming them for certain liabilities but surely there must be some sort of consumer protection as it is a legal requirement and government enforced thing to have the NCT and for it to be completed in their own test centres..?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've heard people mention it before... and I know there are signs exhuming them for certain liabilities but surely there must be some sort of consumer protection as it is a legal requirement and government enforced thing to have the NCT and for it to be completed in their own test centres..?

Nope, e.g for diesels they rev the bejaysus out of them as part of the test.

I did once have them refuse to test a car as it sounded serously dodgy. They we're probably right as the belt was close to blowing on it

Hmm, if I'm not satisfied with their response then perhaps I will try get written confirmation from my car dealer and the pictures he has prior to the test as evidence, although it isn't exactly a before and after comparison when there is a few days inbetween.

This is really annoying me as I take such pride in my car and perfect interior was a reason why I even bought the car, now it is badly damaged.

• Advertisement

Has anyone had to deal with the NCT via any sort of correspondense like email, phone call etc.? Are they pleasant to deal with, helpful etc.? Or am I in for a battle...

Has anyone had to deal with the NCT via any sort of correspondense like email, phone call etc.? Are they pleasant to deal with, helpful etc.? Or am I in for a battle...

I only know of one person who got anywhere with a complaint and that was someone in the legal profession

I'm curious to see the damage could you post before and after pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Shouldn't be a battle. Small claims court should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm curious to see the damage could you post before and after pics?
    This. Without them, I'd say the NCT's waiver would probably cover them.

I'll post pics next opportunity I can. The damage isn't big enough to warrant a kicking and screaming match but the OCD within me knows I can''t live with the imperfections :D

• Advertisement

I'll post pics next opportunity I can. The damage isn't big enough to warrant a kicking and screaming match but the OCD within me knows I can''t live with the imperfections :D

I suspected as much tbh and would think on that basis you won't get very far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

so let me get this right, a S class merc with seats worth quite a considerable amount of euro get sat into by joe bloggs from random NCT centre, said joe has a stanley knife in his rear pocket and duly goes about checking all the 1 million dash lights to see are the working, oblivious to him tearing all the seats apart in the process.

joe goes about testing the rest of the car and hands key to owner, nice car here is your pass cert he goes and goes to make a hard earned cuppa.

thats it...? no come back at all. wtf.

Even tho it isn't a major thing like a slash across the seat doesn't mean damage wasn't done of their fault and I will have to fight as best as I can. Depending on how they react that is.

Hachiko wrote: »
    so let me get this right, a S class merc with seats worth quite a considerable amount of euro get sat into my joe bloggs from random NCT centre, said joe has a stanley knife in his rear pocket and duly goes about checking all the 1 million dash lights to see are the working, oblivious to him tearing all the seats apart in the process.

joe goes about testing the rest of the car and hands key to owner, nice car here is your pass cert he goes and goes to make a hard earned cuppa.

Dead right, that there is the point. I'm curious to see what they reply with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

The waiver is only signed by you, basically telling them your 'engine' is fit to be tested and won't blow up or throw a belt when tested. Your not signing your car over to be scratched, poked, ripped etc etc......
    Who in Gods name would sign for that, or who in Gods name would expect anyone to sign up for that, that's a pure nonsense...
    Of course NCT will compensate you, proving will take time. I'm sure... Good Luck anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

a rip in a car seat is a big issue mind you, depending on the seats but in most cases it it not just 'any old thing, ahh tis grand shur'.

call joe etc...!

I just googled NCTS damaged car OP you might find it useful

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They broke my window winder many years ago n my Honda Civic. I successfully got them to pay to replace it by Tom CanavansHonda in East Wall.

kceire wrote: »
    They broke my window winder many years ago n my Honda Civic. I successfully got them to pay to replace it by Tom CanavansHonda in East Wall.

Was it difficult for them to admit liability?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was it difficult for them to admit liability?

From what I recall no, I sent a letter, photos and a quote to fix it. I copped it straight away and called the tester out and asked what did he do. He had neatly placed the bits back in the centre console so they couldn't dispute it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can only conclude that the damage occurred during the test perhaps by a tool left in the inspector mechanics pocket or something like that and rubbed off it.

I still can't see how you can prove they damaged your car? You are operating on an assumption only.

You didn't say anything at the time, during or after the test. Now you are ringing them days later to say that they scuffed the seat on your car? Lets be honest, you can't really expect any response in this situation, even the most decent of centre managers is going to raise an eyebrow at your claim. Blame the legions of chancers out there for that.

I'm not saying they did or didn't damage it, I wasn't there, but you have no proof!

I still can't see how you can prove they damaged your car? You are operating on an assumption only.

You didn't say anything at the time, during or after the test. Now you are ringing them days later to say that they scuffed the seat on your car? Lets be honest, you can't really expect any response in this situation, even the most decent of centre managers is going to raise an eyebrow at your claim. Blame the legions of chancers out there for that.

I'm not saying they did or didn't damage it, I wasn't there, but you have no proof!

I didn't say anything at the time because it was almost 9:30pm and very dark, I didn't notice it. As soon as I got into my car when it was daylight I saw the hole and scratches and mailed them straight away. It is an assumption, but a logical one as it is a newly purchased and inspected car, I had vacuumed it that day prior to the test with nothing there, then suddenly there is a hole after the NCT. I can see the loop holes they can use against me, hence why I'm asking for advice on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can see the loop holes they can use against me, hence why I'm asking for advice on this.

But its not even a case of looking for loopholes. Sure, you may be convinced that they did it, but how can the centre manager take you at your word? He might be the most reasonable man ever but you have to have something more than just "I think you did it".

I run a workshop, and I always, always stand over our work. If we mess up then we put it right, thats how we do business. But we can't bend over for every person that comes back a week later claiming we damaged something, because there are legions of people out there who will gladly chance their arm and lie their heads off if they thought it would get them something free. Say a guy lifted his vehicle here and then came back 3/4 days later claiming we put a dent in the door, or a scuff in the seat. Nothing was reported at the time and we had no inkling of any problems. How are we supposed to know if it is a genuine case or if the guy is a chancer who clipped a bollard after leaving and thinks this is a handy way to get free repairs?

We had a guy once who accused us of stealing the radio from his van. It was in the van when he left it here and we were the only ones who could have taken it, etc etc. Swore blind it had to have been us, demanded we put it right or else letters to press/solicitors etc etc. We held our ground and eventually it turned out that it was his workmate who had perfectly innocently taken the radio out for god knows what reason. If we had taken the guy at his word we would have been out the cost of a radio for no fault of our own.

I am certainly not saying you are one of the chancers, I'm just saying I can sympathise with the NCT manager if he feels this isn't his problem.

Hachiko wrote: »
    so let me get this right, a S class merc with seats worth quite a considerable amount of euro get sat into by joe bloggs from random NCT centre, said joe has a stanley knife in his rear pocket and duly goes about checking all the 1 million dash lights to see are the working, oblivious to him tearing all the seats apart in the process.

But its not even a case of looking for loopholes. Sure, you may be convinced that they did it, but how can the centre manager take you at your word? He might be the most reasonable man ever but you have to have something more than just "I think you did it".

I run a workshop, and I always, always stand over our work. If we mess up then we put it right, thats how we do business. But we can't bend over for every person that comes back a week later claiming we damaged something, because there are legions of people out there who will gladly chance their arm and lie their heads off if they thought it would get them something free. Say a guy lifted his vehicle here and then came back 3/4 days later claiming we put a dent in the door, or a scuff in the seat. Nothing was reported at the time and we had no inkling of any problems. How are we supposed to know if it is a genuine case or if the guy is a chancer who clipped a bollard after leaving and thinks this is a handy way to get free repairs?

We had a guy once who accused us of stealing the radio from his van. It was in the van when he left it here and we were the only ones who could have taken it, etc etc. Swore blind it had to have been us, demanded we put it right or else letters to press/solicitors etc etc. We held our ground and eventually it turned out that it was his workmate who had perfectly innocently taken the radio out for god knows what reason. If we had taken the guy at his word we would have been out the cost of a radio for no fault of our own.

I am certainly not saying you are one of the chancers, I'm just saying I can sympathise with the NCT manager if he feels this isn't his problem.

Valid point, I can see the point of view from that side for sure, just hoping something comes from it rather than frustration.

Advertisement