Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hailstones lying(not melting) - Definitely proof of global warming!

• 06-04-2008 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, so the hailstones started about five minutes ago, and they are lying on the ground and not melting. On the 6th of April, this is definitely proof of Global Warming. I am being sarcastic of course.

Any one else have any (dis)proof of global warming? The snow fall in Iraq earlier this year for example.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I saw a pigeon once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Are you a global warming skeptic?

Oh the sun is shining following a hail shower. Now I can say "Guys, the sun is splitting the stones out there". Technically, "splitting" doesn't mean the same as melting, but you can't have everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

My son is in Iraq,he says they often get snow in Iraq in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

In my day we had hailstones as big as your head, and you knew not to complain or you'd get a thick ear from one of the Brothers, and if you told your parents they'd tell you you probably deserved it and give you another one themselves. If that's not proof of global warming I don't know what is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I voted for Nader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Global warming is lazy shorthand for climate change and is used hoping that people understand that it doesn't just mean "OMIGOD the earth is getting warmer". Humans are affecting the climate of Earth, whether that means ice caps melting or severe weather storms during the summer. Some people call that global warming as it was the first term the media latched onto.

The fact that I am sitting in Central London and there was snow on the ground this morning (or hailstone not melting in Ireland) especially after the glourious weather I had last week in Lancaster says to me that climate change is a reality.

Snow in Iraq in the winter is normal for their climate, hot dry summers cold winters (down as far as minus 30 in the mountain). Or were you being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Sherifu wrote: »
    I saw a pigeon once.
    no you didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

yes I am a global warming skeptic.

I am not convinced the world is warming up. If it is getting warmer, I am not convinced man has anything to do with it. If the world is warming up, and if man is to blame, I do not think we can do anything to reverse it.

Dont get me wrong, I am not pro-wanton pollution. I am all for being energy efficient, and I am all for recycling. I am not for the daft notions people have gotten about carbon foot prints etc. If man stopped burning all fossil fuels right now, would it do any good? Doubtful.

Media hype regarding something we cant do anything to stop, caused us to vote the bleeding-useless party into the dail, and all they have done in return is put prices of various things they dont like up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

my cats breath smells like cat food

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Climate Change tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'm far from an expert on the subject but isn't it natural order of things anyhow?

Ice age ->>>> insane firey depths of hell type age ->>>> Ice age ->>>> Rince ->>>> Repeat ->>>> etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The earth is actually due to get a wee bit cooler in the coming year or so, this is due to the effect of La Nina, a massive current of cold water in the Pacific that occurs every few decades and has an effect across the world. As other posters have pointed out however climate change is the real problem and global warming is only a part of it. You can't just see a bit of ice on the ground and say "OMG I have proof that the earth isn't getting warmer!!!" cause, well, thats a bit stupid.

syklops wrote: »
    The snow fall in Iraq earlier this year for example.....
    That's an inconvenient truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

I miss snow! It's been ages since I've woken up to find 4 inches of snow everywhere. Next time it happens I'll be 60 and probably break my hip!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw a pigeon once.
    I ate pigeon once (not one from the street AFAIK)!
    Not bad!
    I miss snow! It's been ages since I've woken up to find 4 inches of snow everywhere.
    I woke up this morning to find 9 inches! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

syklops wrote: »
    Yeah, so the hailstones started about five minutes ago, and they are lying on the ground and not melting. On the 6th of April, this is definitely proof of Global Warming. I am being sarcastic of course.

Any one else have any (dis)proof of global warming? The snow fall in Iraq earlier this year for example.....

When I was in Finland last August visiting family, there was a report on TV that snow had fallen in Lapland.

It was the first time in recorded history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kbannon wrote: »
    I woke up this morning to find 9 inches! :D

Sure you did :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert on the subject but isn't it natural order of things anyhow?

Ice age ->>>> insane firey depths of hell type age ->>>> Ice age ->>>> Rince ->>>> Repeat ->>>> etc

See, I was thinking the same thing! how did the last ice age melt? BEFORE people started polluting the place?

by the way, I'm in Norway, it's 5 degrees and raining, seems our cold weather is hitting home instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

See, I was thinking the same thing! how did the last ice age melt? BEFORE people started polluting the place?

Man discovered fire
    Man moved from the caves and started to build huts from trees which caused massive deforestation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The hailstones really need more cowbell to be proof of climate change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ice ages are more about the rotation and orbital patterns of the planet than they are about any atmospheric pollution.
    Over great periods of time, the orbit of the earth varies and more importantly it wobbles on it's axis...at the point of greatest tilt on the axis the poles are in darkness (no light or solar heat) for a lot longer than they are at the present. It's widely believed that these prolonged winter seasons start a global cooling event that eventually turns into an ice age....the melting/warming period is when the processes reverses, and the winter periods shorten back to what we have right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rince

Dance all you want rig, but it won't affect the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Slow coach wrote: »
    Dance all you want rig, but it won't affect the weather.

:D

What if it was a báinsteach rince?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

:D

What if it was a báinsteach rince?! :pac:

Good come back. I'm pwned. :(

Climate scientists believe [insert topical weather event] is more evedence of global warming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Meh, hailstones are overrated... Unless they are big enough to use in a glass of whiskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It's all because of Man Bear Pig...drastic action is needed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭JavaBear

I saw a pigeon once.

tell me more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

tvnutz wrote: »
    It's all because of Man Bear Pig...drastic action is needed!!

EXCELSIOR!!!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

It snowed in April in Dublin about 15 years ago too....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I was in my car park the other day and was attacked by a Polar Bear in a bikini. The fact that it was a male bear proves global warming.

JavaBear wrote: »
    tell me more
    It went "coo, coo".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Think of the children!!!! Won't somebody please think of the children

Advertisement