Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

God is dead. Nietzsche finally proved right.

• 06-04-2008 9:17am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭

You god damn filthy apes....
    Charlton Heston just bit the bullet. Dead. Soylent Green. Tombstone written.

But at least now we can pry that gun from his cold dead hands.
    Sad loss. Man is a legend.

Let the bad punning, arguments about gun control and RIP posts commence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

sauce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

"You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

A great actor. <3 Ben Hur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Almost ironic he didn't die form a bullet,:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

he was brilliant in Wayne's World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Christ, I was just talking about him last night - quoting the "get your paws off me" line, then moving on to talking about Stop The Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off! (the POTA musical in The Simpsons starring Troy McClure).

Man, I get freaked when stuff like that happens. I was talking about Johnny Cash the night before he died, and I was talking about Nina Simone a few hours before she died.

Do I have weird powers...? :(

Anyway he seemed like such a redneck. Kinda sexy in the 50s/60s but then entered sleazeball territory in the 70s.

I'm convinced Troy McClure is a Heston parody but my brothers reckon I'm wrong and that McClure is just the ultimate B-movie actor. What do youz think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

he was brilliant in Wayne's World

The pinnacle of his career without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dudess wrote: »
    I'm convinced Troy McClure is a Heston parody but my brothers reckon I'm wrong and that McClure is just the ultimate B-movie actor. What do youz think?

ye are both wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"From my cold, dead hands!"

Is he cold yet?

What odds can I get on him being buried with a rifle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Man, I get freaked when stuff like that happens. I was talking about Johnny Cash the night before he died, and I was talking about Nina Simone a few hours before she died.

....What do youz think?

I think you should talk about Cuba Gooding Junior for the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Loved the Omega man.

He was a brilliant actor.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    I think you should talk about Cuba Gooding Junior for the next few days
    Maybe I'll talk about Bono...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

You're freaking me out! You don't just ban people, you kill them with your mind for no reason whatsoev...aaaaarrrggh

/slow coach has left the building.

I know... I killed them! :(

Was reading up on Heston: he was such a liberal up to the late 60s - voted Democrat, spoke out against racial segregation (including picketing one of his own movies that was segregated) and was actively involved in the Civil Rights Movement, opposed Vietnam...

Then he switched to Republican, voiced opposition to Affirmative Action, and of course all that gun malarkey.

Gotta hate it when people do annoying stuff like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Christ, I was just talking about him last night - quoting the "get your paws off me" line, then moving on to talking about Stop The Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off! (the POTA musical in The Simpsons starring Troy McClure).

i always thought he was based on doug mcclure, he even looks like him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

You mean stuff like kill celebrities through the power of thought alone? No, I gotta say, I'm actually okay with it.

As usual wikipedia has the answer to the Troy McClure question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I've got a weird sense of deja vu reading this thread, i feel like i've ben-hur before....

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Dudess: Legend Killer :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Soylent Green ...... is......PEOPLE:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Grimes wrote: »
    Soylent Green ...... is......PEOPLE:eek:

Enjoy delicious Soylent Chow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

At these times you do feel for his family and friends and their loss.

However my feelings for him are colored by his NRA involvement,

Heston might have been a good actor, I don't know, I can't recall seeing any of his films.

As a person he just seems to be to have not been a nice man, to have gone to those places for hastily arranged NRA rally just after massacres? that was very wrong and it put even greater pain onto those who were already suffering.

longshanks wrote: »
    i always thought he was based on doug mcclure, he even looks like him
    You're right, see Wikipedia. Thanks Earthhorse.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    You mean stuff like kill celebrities through the power of thought alone? No, I gotta say, I'm actually okay with it.
    Not that, more his extreme shift in political leanings. Have to say I'm starting to find the killing stuff pretty cool.
    Beanstalk wrote: »
    I've got a weird sense of deja vu reading this thread, i feel like i've ben-hur before...
    Hur hur hur...
    TheGooner wrote: »
    Dudess: Legend Killer :mad:
    Aw, for a moment I thought you meant "legendary killer" substituting "legend" for "legendary" but then I saw the angry face. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

He wasn't that good in fairness. That film about the talking monkeys, and the one with Ben Hur in it. That's about it isn't it? He was no Clint Eastwood that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well he was on my Dead Pool list, so at least something good comes out of his death.

Not that, more his extreme shift in political leanings.

Ah yeah, I was only joking. David Mamet recently wrote something in the Sunday Tribune about how his conversion to conservatism. Not that I can't separate the artist and the art but it is dissapointing to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He was an ok actor.
    I hope this causes NRA to crumble somewhat.

Ah yeah, I was only joking. David Mamet recently wrote something in the Sunday Tribune about how his conversion to conservatism. Not that I can't separate the artist and the art but it is dissapointing to see.
    Yeah, he's become a staunch supporter of the free market in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Aw, for a moment I thought you meant "legendary killer" substituting "legend" for "legendary" but then I saw the angry face. :(

:p

• Advertisement

Re the thread title: did Heston ever actually play the role of God in a film? I know he played Moses. Is that kinda the same thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Re the thread title: did Heston ever actually play the role of God in a film? I know he played Moses. Is that kinda the same thing?
    Not unless you misread the bible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I've got a weird sense of deja vu reading this thread, i feel like i've ben-hur before....

RIP
    T_T

Apparently, he played the role (uncredited) in that great Paul Hogan classic, Almost an Angel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Well conservatives are more likely to be staunch defenders of free market economics.

Anyhoo, in light of recent events, I feel this is appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETqTO2GaI3U

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Then he switched to Republican, voiced opposition to Affirmative Action, and of course all that gun malarkey

Opposition to Affirmative Action does not automatically equal racism or support of segregation. I view opposition as 'give everyone an equal chance regardless of race' which fits in nicely with the concept of supporting the abandonment of segregation. We've had this discussion before.
    However my feelings for him are colored by his NRA involvement
    I hope this causes NRA to crumble somewhat.

What's with the NRA hatred here?

Granted, Ted Nugent was probably a bad move, but there is nothing wrong with the NRA itself. They're a single-issue lobby oriented on a Constitutional right, just the same as the First Ammendment Foundation protects the right to free speech. You people make it sound like the NRA is some sort of evil organisation on the same level as the KKK or NAMBLA.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Try talking in third person perhaps...

A mate of mine just sent me this link... ssoo funny!

Stump (with the irresistable force) - Charlton Heston

As for the dislike of the NRA, it is because for them access to guns has no bearing on the number of gun deaths in the USA. They believe that there would MORE deaths in the US if the gun laws were not as liberal as they are. So they think No Guns = More deaths... :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dudess wrote:
    Was reading up on Heston: he was such a liberal up to the late 60s - voted Democrat, spoke out against racial segregation (including picketing one of his own movies that was segregated) and was actively involved in the Civil Rights Movement, opposed Vietnam...

Then he switched to Republican, voiced opposition to Affirmative Action, and of course all that gun malarkey.

Blame the lizards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

He was never a great actor, always thought he was a bit wooden but I did enjoy his epics like Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments etc. and the line "Get you paws off me, you damn dirty ape" was a classic. The remake could never be the same without it.

My opinions were changed when I learned he was head of the NRA and even more so after watching Bowling for Columbine, even if Michale Moore is not exactly renowned for his non-biased movies.

Still, I'm sure my Nanna will be sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Well conservatives are more likely to be staunch defenders of free market economics.
    Actually, in most countries, conservatives believe in subsidies, barriers and tariffs. Liberal economics as a hallmark of conservatism is pretty much just an American thing.

Sorry yeah, I meant American conservatives :o

Profiler wrote: »
    As for the dislike of the NRA, it is because for them access to guns has no bearing on the number of gun deaths in the USA. They believe that there would MORE deaths in the US if the gun laws were not as liberal as they are. So they think No Guns = More deaths... :confused:

Some of us happen to believe that if there was a little greater social responsibility, less of a gang culture, and oh, perhaps somewhat better parenting, there would be fewer gun deaths in the country regardless of how many people own firearms for legitimate reasons.

NTM

Some of us happen to believe that if there was a little greater social responsibility, less of a gang culture, and oh, perhaps somewhat better parenting, there would be fewer gun deaths in the country regardless of how many people own firearms for legitimate reasons.

NTM

This is the issues I am getting at.

There is an acknowledgment that the society in the US has it's problems yet the NRA would have you believe that until those issues are resolved Gun Control is a bad thing? I can't get my head around that?

It's like having a teenage who can't drive and rather then telling them to stay away from the car until they can show they are responsible, you instead fight for their right to drive a Hummer? I mean if they are going to lose it why not give them the capacity to lose it big time and take out more than one person ???

It's like having a teenage who can't drive and rather then telling them to stay away from the car until they can show they are responsible, you instead fight for their right to drive a Hummer? I mean if they are going to lose it why not give them the capacity to lose it big time and take out more than one person ???

Before you give someone the keys to a Hummer (or any other vehicle) there are some basic minima which are required. Think about when you first started driving: You had to be of a certain age for your Provisional, maybe have an eyesight test or a written test. You learned under the supervision of a more responsible adult, who probably owned the vehicle you were learning in.

Then, when you're ten years older, nobody thinks twice when you go down to the local Land Rover dealer and buy an SUV. Yet if your analogy is to apply, you would submit that nobody should be entitled to have an SUV for fear that someone who is young and irresponsible may have one and misuse it.

The same for firearms. There are certain minimum requirements before you can legally buy a firearm such as age or a background check. (The NRA has no issues with these requirements: They don't want to see firearms in the hands of criminals or incompetents either.) Responsible users usually start out at a tender young age taught by adults, and usually that adult provides the firearm to train on, just like a car.

But why should I, in my thirties with ten years military service so far and, I would venture to say, fairly responsible, be told that I am not to be permitted to own a firearm for fear that someone else I have never met, with lesser ideals of responsibility, may misuse one? That strikes me a lot of collective punishment, restricting the innocent as well as the guilty.

Besides, there's that other small little item of the Constitution. You have no Constitutional Right in the US to drive a car, but the second item in the Bill of Rights contains the phrase "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The Constitution is there to prohibit the tyranny of the majority. The first amendment means that no matter how unpopular what you are saying is, you have the right to say it. The fourth says that no matter how much the government may want to eavesdrop or search your properties, due process must be followed even if the reason the police want to search your house is for the common good. All are important, you cannot pick and choose any one item of the Constitution to enforce, and one to disregard.

NTM

It's like anything we restrict in society Manic Moran; we believe the restriction does more good than harm. Bear in mind that most of the posters on this site are Irish; we've grown up in a world where the idea of firearms ownership isn't just foreign, it's completely alien to us.

But look, this thread is about Charlton Heston and Dudess's newly revealed ability to pop people's brains from a distance (which I am all for legalising by the way, once she's over the age of eighteen).

If you want to know why so many people will post their distaste about the NRA I think you have the answer in the first paragraph of this post.

It's like anything we restrict in society Manic Moran; we believe the restriction does more good than harm. Bear in mind that most of the posters on this site are Irish; we've grown up in a world where the idea of firearms ownership isn't just foreign, it's completely alien to us.
    Just as a point of information, there are approximately a quarter of a million legally held civilian firearms in this country; the concept isn't completely alien.

Even more so, the Irish national shooting squad used to be the best in the world back in the 19th century.

The average Irish aversion to firearms really only goes back to the 1970s, after they became highly restricted and thus a mystery to most people. Unfamiliarity breeds contempt.
    It's like anything we restrict in society Manic Moran; we believe the restriction does more good than harm

The Framers of the Constitution believe the restriction would do more harm than good. As does the majority of people today. (Just look at the relative submissions in the recent Supreme Court case: 31 States said 'inidividuals can have firearms', 5 said 'no'. Over 300 Congresscritters said 'yes', about 30 said 'no'.)
    we've grown up in a world where the idea of firearms ownership isn't just foreign, it's completely alien to us.

Which is precisely my point of contention. They're condemning Heston for being associated with an organisation they don't understand, and for the most part don't want to understand.

NTM

Before you give someone the keys to a Hummer (or any other vehicle) there are some basic minima which are required. Think about when you first started driving: You had to be of a certain age for your Provisional, maybe have an eyesight test or a written test. You learned under the supervision of a more responsible adult, who probably owned the vehicle you were learning in.

Then, when you're ten years older, nobody thinks twice when you go down to the local Land Rover dealer and buy an SUV. Yet if your analogy is to apply, you would submit that nobody should be entitled to have an SUV for fear that someone who is young and irresponsible may have one and misuse it.

The same for firearms. There are certain minimum requirements before you can legally buy a firearm such as age or a background check. (The NRA has no issues with these requirements: They don't want to see firearms in the hands of criminals or incompetents either.) Responsible users usually start out at a tender young age taught by adults, and usually that adult provides the firearm to train on, just like a car.

But why should I, in my thirties with ten years military service so far and, I would venture to say, fairly responsible, be told that I am not to be permitted to own a firearm for fear that someone else I have never met, with lesser ideals of responsibility, may misuse one? That strikes me a lot of collective punishment, restricting the innocent as well as the guilty.

Besides, there's that other small little item of the Constitution. You have no Constitutional Right in the US to drive a car, but the second item in the Bill of Rights contains the phrase "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". The Constitution is there to prohibit the tyranny of the majority. The first amendment means that no matter how unpopular what you are saying is, you have the right to say it. The fourth says that no matter how much the government may want to eavesdrop or search your properties, due process must be followed even if the reason the police want to search your house is for the common good. All are important, you cannot pick and choose any one item of the Constitution to enforce, and one to disregard.

NTM

Sorry but you missed the analogy I was getting at (but that is probably my fault)

The teenager is America. I don't think America as a nation is responsible enough for the gun laws it currently has.

Until such time as America can sort out it's societies failings then I can not see the right to have semi automatic weapons and amour piercing bullets as in anyway correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Profiler wrote: »
    Sorry but you missed the analogy I was getting at (but that is probably my fault)

The teenager is America. I don't think America as a nation is responsible enough for the gun laws it currently has.

Until such time as America can sort out it's societies failings then I can not see the right to have semi automatic weapons and amour piercing bullets as in anyway correct.

I'm going to go ahead and call bull on this. You're saying *a nation*, not an individual, but a nation, of what, 300 million people (?) is irresponsible? How many have you met? Tell you what, if you've met two thirds, we'll call that a respectable number and allow you to generalise based on that. So, met 200 million Americans?

And scare words like "semi-automatic" are, frankly, just silly scare words ill-informed police forces and politicians throw at civilians who know no better to hype something up, for no reason I can possibly understand. We have a huge number of legally held firearms in this country too, and plenty of them are semi-automatic. People are scared of things they don't know. There's nothing to be scared of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement