Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sir Bono

Options
  • 03-04-2008 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Should Bono accept a knighthood from the Queen? Are knighthoods usually reserved for British or Commonwealth citizens or are they awarded to people from around the globe? People should try and remain impartial when dealing with this issue. I think the days of rock and roll rebellion are over. In a modern society we surely need rock stars to be at least a little unconservative. I know this will offend alot of people from a patriotic point of view. The Queen decorated the paratoopers involved in Bloody Sunday. However I think that we should not dwell in the past. So ladies and gentlemen, your opinions please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bob Geldoff got one. Why not Bono?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Should Bono accept a knighthood from the Queen?
    Tbh, I couldn't give a toss. If he wants to kneel and let her wave a sword close to his throat, let him ... I guess there are a lot kinkier fetishes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

your opinions please.

My opinion is that you should use the search option, especially on a topic from last year...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055072223&highlight=bono

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Didn't he already get an honorary one just like to one Geldof got?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So are there any honours bestowed on people for actual achievement or is it all just celebrity now? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Yes it should. It's a rare time a Finglas scumbag is called "Sir", without it being immediately followed by "you're making a scene".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Meh I heard he was a bit of a prick anyway.

Reminds though, didn't some guy get one of these titles of the French even though it's a republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sir Bono of Turdington.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kowloon wrote: »
    So are there any honours bestowed on people for actual achievement or is it all just celebrity now? :rolleyes:

Yes. Some guy is due to slay a dragon in the next few weeks, it's likely he'll get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Who the **** would want a kinghthood? The brits can shove their titles up their holes. It creates false idolizing and no self respecting Irish person should ever accept such a thing from an imperialistic nation like England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

rather see him become pope thats more rock n roll.

Yes it should. It's a rare time a Finglas scumbag is called "Sir", without it being immediately followed by "you're making a scene".

Pretty funny, you should write comedy for tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

However I think that we should not dwell in the past.

exactly why i wouldn't accept one tbh, as they are just a throwback to "darker" times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yes. Some guy is due to slay a dragon in the next few weeks, it's likely he'll get one.

Ooohhh Sarky :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Who the **** would want a kinghthood? The brits can shove their titles up their holes. It creates false idolizing and no self respecting Irish person should ever accept such a thing from an imperialistic nation like England.

The Queen doesn't come and kick your door in, wrestle you to the floor and knight you whether you like it or not, you know. Some minion or other writes to you and offers you it and you have to write back accepting it, if you want it.

Just like Terry Wogan and Michael Smurfitt and Bob Geldof and Spike Milligan and God alone knows who else did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you get knighted, can you change your username or do you still have to pay??

Sir stevec hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I believe it's Glasnevin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Tbh, I couldn't give a toss. If he wants to kneel and let her wave a sword close to his throat, let him ... I guess there are a lot kinkier fetishes really.

And if she slits it for him then all the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

OK, I found this article. He was awarded a honorary knighthood a year ago. But there must not have been a big deal about it because he wasn't awarded it by the Queen and he didn't have to go to go to Buckingham palace or anything. He just went to the British embassy in Dublin.

Incidently The Edge received an honorary honorary doctorate last year!

So we have a Sir Bono and Dr. Edge in the band now. Not bad going in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

Dr. The Edge, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I would accept it just to annoy idiot nationalists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

"Arise,Sir Bono"

"I'm already standing up,m'am."

If he accepts this he's putting the final seal on his reputation for being a greedy,money-grabbing,hypocritical scumbag midget.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I would accept it just to annoy idiot nationalists
    YEAH!! YOU DA MAN!!!

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got nothing to do with the queen.

Just the amasador decides he want's to honour someone in the country hes ambasadoring(?), gets aproval from Blair and Bertie ( this is all from last year), then hands out a gong himself.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Bob Geldoff got one. Why not Bono?

Exactly ^

Alot has changed over the last 10 years as we all very well know. The hatred that people had for anything British has almost dispersed which is a great thing. Also, from my experiences over the water the English seem to be alot friendlier to us now too. All for the greater good fellas . So if Bono wants to get in the knight club whos stopping him really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

KaG1888 wrote: »
    Exactly ^

Alot has changed over the last 10 years as we all very well know. The hatred that people had for anything British has almost dispersed which is a great thing. Also, from my experiences over the water the English seem to be alot friendlier to us now too. All for the greater good fellas . So if Bono wants to get in the knight club whos stopping him really.

So what's he done to deserve it?Written songs about moles living in holes?Sued people over a pair of trousers?Moved offshore to avoid paying tax for nine months of the year?The swine deserves nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Walks up to the queen and she tells him he has to take his hat off.

He hands it to here and gets knighted.

Before he leaves he asks for his hat back incase she decides to sell it and he will start his crying again

Degsy wrote: »
    So what's he done to deserve it?Written songs about moles living in holes?Sued people over a pair of trousers?Moved offshore to avoid paying tax for nine months of the year?The swine deserves nothing.

I never mentioned once that he deserves it Degsy ol boy, I was just stating that he should accept it.

• Advertisement

Dr. The Edge, surely?

So now whenever anyone shouts out, "Is there a doctor in the building?" he can shout out ...

"Kinda"

Advertisement