Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostel and passport number

Options
  • 27-03-2008 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Off to Slovenia to meet a girl I've never met before. And last week I watched 'Hostel' and 'Hostel Part II' for the first time :/ ( I thought they were great) so ever since I've been a bit 'iffy'.

My penpal, is booking a hostel in Ljubljana ( a former military prison :?)
    and says she needs my passport number. I don't think I need to give that, as I visited the site myself and it doesn't ask for a passport number.
    Could it just be a replacement to a credit card number, since she books from over there directly??

Btw, do you think it was a good idea to accept an invitation to see 'caves'??
    "For you it is free!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

How did you meet or get in contact in the first place??

Ah chance it yeah, ya'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

supertramp wrote: »
    "For you it is free!"

Only if you're sure she's a woman. Otherwise what you think is a cave may take on a different meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Off to Slovenia to meet a girl I've never met before. And last week I watched 'Hostel' and 'Hostel Part II' for the first time :/ ( I thought they were great) so ever since I've been a bit 'iffy'.

My penpal, is booking a hostel in Ljubljana ( a former military prison :?)
    and says she needs my passport number. I don't think I need to give that, as I visited the site myself and it doesn't ask for a passport number.
    Could it just be a replacement to a credit card number, since she books from over there directly??

"For you it is free!"

Good Luck mate!!! Me thinks you'll need it!! By the way how long have you known girl??

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

My penpal, is booking a hostel in Ljubljana

penpals still exist!?! i thought email and the 90's had killed them all off :rolleyes:

let us know if you get back alive.......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I've stayed in hotels and hostels in Slokavia, Czech Republic & Poland
    and they have all taken a record of passport numbers on check-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

If your fingers get chopped off, make sure to bleed on the floor in front of your torturer. He'll slip in it and give you a chance to escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

When you say penpal do you physically put pen to paper and correspond by letter? How can this be?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

this will be funny when hes raped....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Ha thanks all....

I've known her at least 6 months, and we've spoken on the phone a few times.
    And yes I mean penpals as in write on letters. Well, this girl I e-mail and send letters, but others just letters.

My worst fear is an old man approaching me at airport " Do'ya like popsicles? I got nothin' but popsicles in ma basement"

Right, it is norm for passport numbers...

ZygOte wrote: »
    penpals still exist!?! i thought email and the 90's had killed them all off :rolleyes:

let us know if you get back alive.......:cool:

It's a bit like Latin....it's almost but not quite dead....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ha thanks all....

Right, it is norm for passport numbers...
    One person says it is and you believe them? It looks like you're clinging to hope. Good for you.
    You'll be remember as the guy who clinged to hope as he got raped and murdered. Hey! at least you'll be remembered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Op you've an awful lot more than identity theft to be worrying about

Click

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

penpals still exist!?! i thought email and the 90's had killed them all off

In Soviet Russia, penpals kill you off! (and in Slovenia, too).

It's normal to give your passport number to a hotel or hostel when you stay, I have mine memorised because I used it so much while travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I also gave passport numbers for hostels many times. Whats the worst that could happen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

It's a bit like Latin....it's almost but not quite dead....

and there was me thinking penpals had been resigned to prison folk :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

any hostel i have stayed in all over the world, have taken a copy of my passport or requested the passport number, it's in case in go missing they will have a record of you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

yeah it's totally normal. it's also used when you go in and out of some countries on trains so they can check if you have a criminal record or anything in that country. that place you're going to that i'm not gonna attempt to spell this early in the morning is really really beautiful by the way. try and find the club on the top of a really tall building, there's just a lift with two bouncers standing outside and they let you on and off, great place. Slovenia's not the same as slovakia or the czech rep. etc by the way. It's far, far more westernised and far far more wealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have done that loads of times, it's grand. Just don't give them your passport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

lots of hostels take your passport number. its nothing to worry about.

Ljubljana's fantastic btw

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pighead will be delighted by this thread I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I always thought they took your passport so you wouldn't damage the gaff and do a runner. I didn't know it was the passport number they wanted.

I say go for it man, whats the worst that could happen?

Oh ya rape.. just close your eyes and think of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Penpals still very much exist. At least in other countries. I got signed up for email pen pals when i was in college by mates messing. A few years later and i'm receiving at least 10 a week. When i was learning Spanish i decided to take advantage of it and reply to ones from central and south American countries. One was the daughter of a Mexican Alcalde (like a governor or something) and paid for me to fly down and visit her. She helped with the aul español among other things. ;) Still keep in contact with a few of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭boardinwork

Go for it! I bet shes a hotty :) If you raped after, well at least you got your hole filled or otherwise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its normal to give passport number but only when checking in. In all the hostels I have stayed in I have never given my hostel number when booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,274 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stop mixing up Slovakia and Slovenia.

Now for bonus points, name another area that fits the Sl_v__ia format.
    Tusky wrote: »
    I have never given my hostel number when booking.
    You have a hostel number?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In a number of countries its legally required and its entirely normal, and theres very little someone nefarious can do with it anyway.

I've even been asked in the UK, response having been 'um, I drove over, I don't have it with me...'. They don't need them off Irish citizens there though anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,124 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Victor wrote: »
    Now for bonus points, name another area that fits the Sl_v__ia format.
    Slavonia in Croatia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

I'm sure she's not going to steal your identity but it's very unusual asking for passport number in advance.

Well that hostel was great The rooms are very similar to cells, even have the barred doors! But it was above a punk nite-club so there was little sleep
    Everything was great, and she's now my girlfriend. Going back in September..

Ljubljana is a fantastic city, also the town of Bled is a must see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Well that hostel was great The rooms are very similar to cells, even have the barred doors! But it was above a punk nite-club so there was little sleep
    Everything was great, and she's now my girlfriend. Going back in September..

Ljubljana is a fantastic city, also the town of Bled is a must see.

Yea Bled kicks ass. Don't fall through the ice into the lake in the middle of winter though. Its very cold and the closest hospital is in Jesenice.

Advertisement