Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little advice please, learner permit/insurance

• 03-10-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi All,

I am looking for some advise with regards to buying my first car ( not new). I would be very grateful if someone could offer me some recommendations , so here are my questions :

* What would be the best place to get insurance for Drivers with Learners permit ?

* Also when I buy a car , how do I drive it back home ( As I will not have insurance on my name etc, so basically how do first time buyers collect the car before getting all the paper work sorted ?)

thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

mrcalm wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am looking for some advise with regards to buying my first car ( not new). I would be very grateful if someone could offer me some recommendations , so here are my questions :

* What would be the best place to get insurance for Drivers with Learners permit ?

* Also when I buy a car , how do I drive it back home ( As I will not have insurance on my name etc, so basically how do first time buyers collect the car before getting all the paper work sorted ?)

thanks a million

Ring every insurance company and brokers until you're bored silly and go for the best quote. There's no cheap car insurer, if there was we'd all go with them.

Well you'll need someone to accompany you who had had a full licence for two years to drive the car at any time, so they might be able to drive it back for you if their insurance allows. If not, then ring whoever your getting insured with and ask them to take out the policy ther and then. Obviously you'd get quotes on insurance on the car beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

mrcalm wrote: »
    Hi All,

thanks a million

1. Shop around. I found liberty most reasonsble for ppl with little exp/bad histories. Add a named driver for a discount.

2. You don't.
    When i bought my 2nd hand car i was told to collect it on a friday, so i got insurance sorted out before then.
    My friend bought a car years ago and phoned up about insurance while still in the dealership. The agent told him the policy would be active in 30 mins. He waited 30 mins, 2 mins down tge road a cop pulled him over, saw he didnt have a disc and checked with the insurance company.
    Short answer: it's never a good idea to drive without insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A good idea is to bring a friend who has the driving other cars option on their insurance policy, this means they are covered third party to drive any car which they do not own, they could drive your car home and then you get insurance sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrcalm

Thanks all for your help. Much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

A good idea is to bring a friend who has the driving other cars option on their insurance policy, this means they are covered third party to drive any car which they do not own, they could drive your car home and then you get insurance sorted.

Not 100% sure, but i think most policies require the car they drive to be insured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

tenifan wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, but i think most policies require the car they drive to be insured

Mine doesn't.

Advertisement