Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Driving Licence instead of Passport Flying within EU

Options
  • 02-11-2013 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi,

sorry if there's a thread on this already..
    I don't travel alot so i'm not really up to date on this stuff. but i want to book a weekend to italy for my boyfriends birthday but his passport is out of date, he has a learner driving licence and i'm just wondering can he use that instead of a passport cos i know my friend used her driving licence instead when she went to London?

i'm just wondering is that ok for all EU countries or just Uk?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

No, it has to be a passport.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Flying to the UK is a slightly different kettle of fish than the rest of Europe as we have what is called a "common travel area" between the two countries (hence driving licence or pretty much any photo ID is ok).

For everywhere else you need your passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

imelle wrote: »
    Hi,

sorry if there's a thread on this already..
    I don't travel alot so i'm not really up to date on this stuff. but i want to book a weekend to italy for my boyfriends birthday but his passport is out of date, he has a learner driving licence and i'm just wondering can he use that instead of a passport cos i know my friend used her driving licence instead when she went to London?

i'm just wondering is that ok for all EU countries or just Uk?

You must use your passport for every country outside of the United Kingdom, you can travel to the UK using a driving license on Aer Lingus and British Airways but if you are flying to the UK using Ryanair you will need a passport, this being a Ryanair photo-ID requirement and not a UK border requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

thanks everyone! was double checking before i went and booked something! thank you :)

Advertisement