Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hailo Pre-booking fail - any comeback?

Options
  • 05-02-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

I pre-booked for a Hailo cab to drop me to the airport - it was booked 2/3 days in advance and though nothing of it. Checked my app 5 mins before arranged time and was still searching for drivers, eventually said nobody was available - this was 5.45am

had to make flight, so drove to short term and when i came back had to pay parking bill of €80

I've emailed Hailo, and they have offered me €10 credit, having admitted there were numerous errors with their booking processes

I've told them €10 is not sufficient as i want my parking covered

My question is, is there any redress for my bill?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Very unlikely you have any comeback. T&c are vague.
    As an alternative try Lynx.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, a pre-booking does not confer any duty or liability on them. If you had paid for the trip upfront, you might have more standing, but as it is the pre-booking is offered as a courtesy so failure to deliver on their part doesn't make them liable for your costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

seamus wrote: »
    No, a pre-booking does not confer any duty or liability on them. If you had paid for the trip upfront, you might have more standing, but as it is the pre-booking is offered as a courtesy so failure to deliver on their part doesn't make them liable for your costs.

thanks, I assumed as much, but appreciate the clarification

I am still hoping (expecting) an improvement to the €10 offered, even as a gesture of goodwill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

paddyh117 wrote: »
    I am still hoping (expecting) an improvement to the €10 offered, even as a gesture of goodwill.

The 10e is a gesture of goodwill to be fair and a pretty reasonable one, what you're looking for is an additional gesture of goodwill on top of this.

Cabaal wrote: »
    The 10e is a gesture of goodwill to be fair and a pretty reasonable one, what you're looking for is an additional gesture of goodwill on top of this.

The €10 is not reasonable in my opinion, and I would imagine it's their standard amount of "please go away tax" they offer for a multitude of reasons..I'm sure there's a myriad of complaints they receive on a regular basis that are fixed by applying €10 to the complainants account - very few complaints I imagine are dealing with a real loss in actual monetary terms - €80 in this instance

Your second assumption is correct - i want more, as i don't feel i should be €80 of of pocket for their (admitted) failings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Write to their head office on paper and send it via registered post. Obviously you have no technical standing, but they may offer an improved goodwill gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Write to their head office on paper and send it via registered post. Obviously you have no technical standing, but they may offer an improved goodwill gesture.
    waste a few hours of time, add the hassle, the cost of registering the letter and then another few hours of "haggling", then get €20 instead of €10.

Christ, life is a little more important.

To the OP - forget about it, there will be far more important things to get worked up about than an error made with a taxi.

VincePP wrote: »
    waste a few hours of time, add the hassle, the cost of registering the letter and then another few hours of "haggling", then get €20 instead of €10.

Christ, life is a little more important.

To the OP - forget about it, there will be far more important things to get worked up about than an error made with a taxi.

I'm certainly not getting worked up. I asked a consumer related question on a consumer forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The €10 is not reasonable in my opinion, and I would imagine it's their standard amount of "please go away tax" they offer for a multitude of reasons..I'm sure there's a myriad of complaints they receive on a regular basis that are fixed by applying €10 to the complainants account - very few complaints I imagine are dealing with a real loss in actual monetary terms - €80 in this instance

None of which they are likely liable for in there terms and conditions which you agreed to, they've given you a very reasonable goodwill gesture already esp considering they are not liable for any loss you may try claim to begin with.

You are like a person trying to claim money off a restaurant because there was an issue with a reservation and you went to a different restaurant that was more expensive. It's silly, you had other choices, but you choose to pay for parking which you knew you'd have to pay 80 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

...dealing with a real loss in actual monetary terms - €80 in this instance...

Just to point out that you are not out €80, you are out €80 less whatever the cost of taxis to and from the airport may have been.

Unless you live very near the airport, surely this cost plus the €10 that Hailo have offered you must cover a reasonable amount of that €80?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, I can see where your issue is coming from. When you pre-book a taxi for the airport, it's a sigh of relief. When going to the airport, you don't need the stress of a taxi not appearing. However, Hailo probably cover themselves with their T&Cs and have at least made some offer of compensation. It's up to you how far you want to push them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I'm certainly not getting worked up. I asked a consumer related question on a consumer forum.

It reads that way.

Far easier to forget about it and not use them again - that's how i deal with poor service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Put it down to experience, everyone has booked a taxi who either hasn't turned up on time or at all. It's annoying as there was a very defined time frame involved but taxis are hardly reliable so it's best to go with a local reliable firm. I once booked one of those guys who meet you at the airport on a little fold up scooter and drive your car home. He took my motor for a spin around Dublin for a couple of hours and ran up a few tolls in the process but **** happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

To be fair op, it was your choice to park in the short term car park. There are other alternatives which are a lot cheaper.
    No company will be liable for what was your choice.

For me its 20-25 each way in a taxi to the airport.
    I got 2 weeks parking in quick park for 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There are other taxi companies too, a few minutes on the phone would surely have found an alternative?

Advertisement